What boating mistakes have you made?

BoatFNG

Recruit
Re: What boating mistakes have you made?

After 2 months of boat ownership, I have:

1. drug the skegg up the ramp
2. left the anchor down and taken off (this thing sure is driving funny)
3. hit a submerged branch or stump

But I think the saying is true that if you don't learn something everytime you go out, you were'nt paying attention.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Updating my List

Hit floating Log= Spun and Bent Prop.

Anchore Let loose = Got stuck in Shallow Water.

Scrap Boat on Dock = A slight Mark on Boat but was able to remove.

Left Depth Finder turned on = Dead Battery

Used Lower than recommended Octane fuel by mistake = Didn't seem to bother the motor.

Ran motor on Muffs with the Drive Up = Boat shook some be was ok after lowering

Left Extended Platform down many times and drove boat at planning speed. Good thing its tough.

rico suave

Seaman

Tossed overboard a brand new anchor......no line attached.

:facepalm:

Triton II

Commander

Drove to the ramp (about half a mile) with the trailer handbrake still on. Melted grease everywhere and stinky pads. Waited about 5 minutes for things to cool down but it wasn't enough - busted two hub bolts when I backed her in! :( :facepalm:

TII

unimog1968

Recruit

After nearly 50 years of boating I have made most mistakes. But my old man did a cracker one day when putting the boat in at Newcastle harbour. The plug was checked, fuel was checked, all ropes and ties undone, batteries all good (a new boat) so reverse it down the ramp. Halfway down the trailer started to kink so he hit the brakes. Everything stops except the boat! It lands 3/4 way down the concrete slip!

SWTobias

Seaman Apprentice

"Halfway down the trailer started to kink so he hit the brakes. Everything stops except the boat! It lands 3/4 way down the concrete slip"

My computer's wallpaper is a picture of a very nice boat sitting on the concrete at the bottom of the ramp. I hope it keeps me from ever forgetting not to release the bow line too soon either backing down or pulling out. I've made too many expensive mistakes already.

cribber

Lieutenant

Bounced my skeg three time retrieving at the local ramp. I trim up now before approaching the ramp.

Watching my wife ask why is it so hard to crank the trailer jack because I forgot to release the coupler. Got smacked for that one. :D

A few WTH moments trying to destroy a prop. Had to replace two of them from catastrophic metal fatigue. The logs didn't give but luckily the props both did.

Waiting for the day I forget to put the plug in... so far that one hasn't happened!!! :rolleyes:

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

One I forgot to mention.

I was on a fishing bender, from dawn to dusk for 5 days in a row. Around 1pm on day five I anchored in this little cove out of the wind to eat my lunch and watch the eagles in their nest 100 feet overhead. I was feeling run down and my back was aching so I figured Id stretch out on my bow seats and rest my bones with my ham & swiss. Next thing I know its 5:15pm and Im sunburned so bad I cant even move. My left arm is so red it looks like it should have Coca-Cola imprinted on it.

I get up and get my bearings, still feeling hungry. I remember taking 2 bites out of my ham and swiss, but cant find it anywhere. Not in my bow seats, not in the water, not on the floor, gone.

Then I look up at the eagles.... Theyre eating my sandwich!! I can spot a fat ham & swiss with spicy mustard from 100 yards. I have to assume I was 12 inches from the most revered (and pain inducing Im sure) bird in the country and I missed it. AND they ate my sandwich right off my boat!!

I grab my dinky bag of doritos and motor off to the dock to get to bed. After I locate some burn creme and make a fresh ham & swiss....

Triton II

Commander

'bouttime, you made me spill my coffee... great story! :D

TII

larsonrider

Cadet

Dragged the skeg, forgot to put the plug in, forgot about the transom straps. But hey this is how ya learn lol.

axeman1988

Seaman

this involves me but it wasn't me. my dad, brother and i went fishing the other day when we went to load the boat back up on the trailer my brother was strateling the trailer with the winch by his rear, for no reason my dad took off with out saying anything,then stoped and went back suddenly almost impaling my brother's bottom with the winch and catching his face on the bow of the boat. the look on his face......:eek: pricless. another shtwb happened when i was out playing on my ski's. when i was loading up these three guys were trying to launch two ski's, problem was they back them into the water with them still tied down to the traler, front and back, and they completly submerged the trailer it was entertaining to say the least. after a bit i decided to help them but not before i got a good chuckel:).

narwhals

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there is no way to list all the stupid mistakes that we made as a family boating throughout the years. failing to tie off the end of the anchor line, there went a couple hundred bucks at the bottom of lake george.storms that crashed the boat up onto the rocks while being docked that one cost a lot. having too many people looking for rocks while backing out of the slip in the back of the boat causing a low draft in the back so when someone shouted rock and we quickly shifted into forward to avoid said rock sheered off the drive pin, paddled back to dock marina had to come up and replace pin took mechanic 2 hours because it was so screwed up. my favorite gaff was when we were just getting to the dock to unload and being the oldest son i took it upon myself to gather as much stuff in my hands while having the keys to our car in my mouth, after getting on the dock and my father told me to back the car down i replied and said keys went into the water under the docks at the marina. after countless dives into the weeds they are still there in the bottom of lake george and my sister had to drive an hour with the replacement keys.i try not to bring up some of the good old times as i'll never live that one down. lol

topher166

Cadet

picked up a boat and went to take for a spin, and the boat was pulling hard to startboard didn't check motor position... the stearing slipped from my hand and did a 180 in about 5 feet.. the 70 HP chrysler motor tore off the transom, and sunk while running... jumped in as soon as it stopped (april in central ontario, canada) then we threw it in the back of the boat and rowed as fast we could to shore cuase of the holes the motor left in the transomn was pooring water in.. - motor started and ran fine for three years after this... until I sold it a month ago

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for all stories and keeping this thread alive.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

OK, now is the time to let you know. I only tell this story when I?m with friends so now is the time.

The boat I have now is my very first boat. I've had this boat for a year now and love it.
The very first time my wife and I went out in it was a bloody disaster!
Quite a breeze that morning. Backed the trailer down the ramp no problem.
Little Indian guys held my boat for me while I parked the trailer.
Came back, started her up, they pushed me away.
Breeze is now Wind and it started pushing me to the right, towards rock harbour wall and a parked 40ft Police boat. Pushing me right into the corner.
Starting to panic now....Trim was still all the way up, finally realised what all that water and noise was. :confused: Now I?m getting real close to the rocks, bow first. :eek:
Lowered the trim which seemed to take forever........Turned the wheel hard right.........remember this is my first outing......slammed the throttle forward......Boat span round, went wide.......SMACK.....side to side into the police boat. Wife is on the floor. :(

Settled down went calmly out of the harbour. Shaking.

Sea was now rough with big swells. Horrible. Boat was all over the place. Up down, side to side. Wife?s boobys giving her black eyes.
We were out for about 20 minutes, came back trailered no problem. Very very quiet drive home.:confused:
We both thought, what the hell have we done!:facepalm:

We went straight back out the next morning and tried again.

I have never learnt so much as I did that day.
Soon after I found iboats and have learnt even more from you guys.:)

I love my boat and I know I?m still inexperienced and will be for another few years but I?ve got a head on me now and think so far ahead to keep out of trouble.

Since then I?ve obviously done the skeg thing, stern straps, was reminded about my plug just in time and mashed my prop.

PS, please don?t tell anyone this story.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

LMAO!

Smacked a police boat, wifes on the floor, now thats a mistake. LOL

I cant stop laughing... wooooo thats gold!

yetiman

Seaman

Black eyes and boobies, great visual:)