Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

sasto

Captain
Re: Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

Jetski keys belonging to Fireman431.....on a float.....Still looking!

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

While living in key largo as a kid,People got to know I was a water rat,Fishing and swimming,Thats all I did.
people were always working on their boat over there,So they always came to me when they had dropped tools overboard...Its pretty deep down there but I got their stuff (freediving)everytime,Lots of tools and a radio...I got rewarded so that makes me both I guess,A giver and a taker.

Over time I myself have lost;sunglasses,readingglasses(found them)contact lenses,A phone,hat,lots of lures,Theres gotta be more but I guess I lost a few braincells due to old age..:facepalm:

I was trapping a couple of years ago and was headed home up a slough. When i hit a log with the motor instantly killing the motor . when i resstarted it i realized that i lost the prop..... it was december and i had to get in the water luckily i found the prop and had a extra castle nut and used a nail to secure it....

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I love you guys!

I have found too many anchors to count all over the state of Florida. My favorite was an 80 pound SS Plow style that I got big bucks for. :D I have also found sunglasses, fishing rods and reels, dive knives, over a hundred pounds of lead, a snow mobile in an alpine lake in Idaho, a sail boat, a canoe, a run about, a motorcycle, an old old Corvette, 3 beers (Heineken Light), all sorts of tools, lights, masks, snorkels, fins, an engagement ring (returned), and even a Rolex (also returned). I even found two lost divers once in Bonaire. :eek: It is far, far better to find than to lose.

W_Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you lead the list now. What year was the Corvette?

nwcove

Admiral

corvette as in car....or ship???.....either way i think it wins.....so far! lol

scoyt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not too sure if it counts for found, but here goes. I found a 20 inch long black bass with a big bream stuck sideways in its mouth. Both of them were still alive. The bass would swim for a little bit, then run out of air, and come back to the surface. I reached down with a pair of pliers to get it because I didn't know what was wrong with it at first. The wife and kids were with me, so I have witnesses!!

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

It was a mid-sixties Sting Ray (car), upside down and I found it in Lake Monroe near one of the old bridges. The Police surmised it was an insurance fraud from that era. I found it it the late 90s and it was almost smothered in silt. We were looking for a body which was later recovered on the surface near where it connects with the St Johns River. I found an old washing machine and a few bikes then too. One of the searchers found a pistol and another found a shotgun. Since this was conducted by the City of Sanford, they kept all the goodies we discovered. Things like the old Vette were left there to continue disintegrating. I hate body searches and won't do them anymore.

corvette as in car....or ship???.....either way i think it wins.....so far! lol

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

I love you guys!

I have found too many anchors to count all over the state of Florida. My favorite was an 80 pound SS Plow style that I got big bucks for. :D I have also found sunglasses, fishing rods and reels, dive knives, over a hundred pounds of lead, a snow mobile in an alpine lake in Idaho, a sail boat, a canoe, a run about, a motorcycle, an old old Corvette, 3 beers (Heineken Light), all sorts of tools, lights, masks, snorkels, fins, an engagement ring (returned), and even a Rolex (also returned). I even found two lost divers once in Bonaire. :eek: It is far, far better to find than to lose.
I live in bonaire,Did you find them back?How did you lose them?

Searayb

Seaman Apprentice

Two hats and a fender this past summer.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I hate body searches and won't do them anymore.
They're not so bad 'til ya find a body. Suck after that.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I live in bonaire,Did you find them back?How did you lose them?
I didn't lose them... their instructor did. He pulled up as I was finishing with an AOW class and asked if I had any extra students. I did not and so I changed tanks and was back in the water pretty quick. They were a lot deeper LOOKING for their instructor. If you don't understand how this happened, you don't understand that nitrogen narcosis makes you as smart as your ordinary cow. The most dangerous people to dive with are those who claim that they don't get narced. One of the divers ran out of gas within seconds of me finding them and the other was close to running out. They both had considerable deco obligations and we did not have the gas for that. They both were bent as they headed for the chamber. I did my deco on the way back to shore while the boat whisked them back to shore. That was 2002 or so and I am still mad at their instructor for his gross negligence.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

They're not so bad 'til ya find a body. Suck after that.
Lake Monroe is black water (no visibility) and you are sweeping your hands over the bottom back and forth. The whole time you're thinking to yourself: "Don't be here, and don't be there. Don't be here and don't be there." Every time you hit something your heart sinks. Bump into a fish and you swallow your heart. It's downright unnerving and not fun at all. I remember hurting myself on the washing machine and did the sweep a lot slower after that. I dive for the fun of it. This wasn't fun.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

I didn't lose them... their instructor did. He pulled up as I was finishing with an AOW class and asked if I had any extra students. I did not and so I changed tanks and was back in the water pretty quick. They were a lot deeper LOOKING for their instructor. If you don't understand how this happened, you don't understand that nitrogen narcosis makes you as smart as your ordinary cow. The most dangerous people to dive with are those who claim that they don't get narced. One of the divers ran out of gas within seconds of me finding them and the other was close to running out. They both had considerable deco obligations and we did not have the gas for that. They both were bent as they headed for the chamber. I did my deco on the way back to shore while the boat whisked them back to shore. That was 2002 or so and I am still mad at their instructor for his gross negligence.
sounds like a yellow submarine (in that time green submarine I think) dive shop instructor.remember the name?
anyway nice diving over here huh?
to stick with the thread,Something I did not lose neither find ,Was a small airplane we saw crash about a year or two ago,it crashed in the water instantly spilling out some of its content, narcotics.. lots of bags floating in the sea..
the cops were on it like white on rice cause everybody has some kind of boat here. After many days said they got all the bags,and left...Sure was a ugly sight seeing that thing come down,Having fear of flying

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

sounds like a yellow submarine (in that time green submarine I think) dive shop instructor.remember the name?
anyway nice diving over here huh?
I don't think so.
to stick with the thread,Something I did not lose neither find ,Was a small airplane we saw crash about a year or two ago,it crashed in the water instantly spilling out some of its content, narcotics.. lots of bags floating in the sea..
the cops were on it like white on rice cause everybody has some kind of boat here. After many days said they got all the bags,and left...Sure was a ugly sight seeing that thing come down,Having fear of flying
Off of Staniel Key (SE Bahamas), the sea at the end of their airport is lousy with crashed planes. I'm talking 10+. Currently, you have to pass a breath analyzer before you're allowed to get in your plane.

nwcove

Admiral

I don't think so.
Off of Staniel Key (SE Bahamas), the sea at the end of their airport is lousy with crashed planes. I'm talking 10+. Currently, you have to pass a breath analyzer before you're allowed to get in your plane.

a breath test to fly a plane??? what is the world coming to??? next thing ya know......drinking and driving will be frowned upon! lol .....and if that happens......how will i get my kids to daycare on a tuesday morning????? :facepalm:

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

a breath test to fly a plane??? what is the world coming to??? next thing ya know......drinking and driving will be frowned upon! lol .....and if that happens......how will i get my kids to daycare on a tuesday morning????? :facepalm:
I was on a Liveaboard trip with the Aquacat and we had come ashore to the bar there. One of the passengers had a bit too much to drink and jokingly remarked that he could still fly. An unassuming man, a BIG man, at the bar pulled out a breathalyzer and stated that no one would be flying without passing it first. He then explained why and that his job was to control air traffic on and off the island. Kind of funny really.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Found a few rods and reels but the thing I want to find the most is a "mermaid at the start of the spring spawn"

vergil

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was young we found a golden retriever while sailing on lake erie, He was lost during a bad storm, he had a collar and we was able to return him to his owner,
and found a picnic table on green river lake in ky this april,

Then we lost a concrete block we was using for an anchor, and the ladder off our pontoon boat.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Lost the keys to my truck once, had the boat launched and was going to do something before I set out, the launch rope was coiled on the dock with my keys in the middle of it, jumped in the boat a little to fast and it started going out and PLOP, there goes my keys.

Luckily the water wasn't too cold but it was chest deep, with alot of feeling around with my toes I came up with my keys, good thing too since this was before I had a cell phone, very long walk to a pay phone.

Last summer I pitched the remote to my trolling motor in at the launch, went to put my net in the holder and saw a red flash followed by the sickening sound of something hitting the water, saw exactly where it went in but never did find it.

And the untimate, I almost lost my boat last year!

It was late and I was tired and one step ahead of my self, got back to the launch at about 1 am, pulled up to the launch and was going to jump out and attach the launch rope, jumped a bit to hard and pushed the boat off so when I turned around it was 3' away and going down stream.

I had the launch rope with the hook so I threw it at the boat hoping to catch the troller, snag, plop, now it is 6' away and I know if I miss this time I am getting wet so I throw it again and luckily it wrapped around the trollers main power cord and I got it back in, all valuable lessons and things I have only done once.