purchasing auto parts on ebay

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: purchasing auto parts on ebay

While I have not looked at the parts you listed, a few years ago I bought and sold cars from an auction, most were accident repairs and I found that when I used cheap knock-off parts they did not fit correctly and sometimes not at all.
Just fair warning.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

While I have not looked at the parts you listed, a few years ago I bought and sold cars from an auction, most were accident repairs and I found that when I used cheap knock-off parts they did not fit correctly and sometimes not at all.
Just fair warning.

A wise heads up from bifflefan. Doesn't necessarily mean that they do not fit or that you cannot reasonably massage them to do so but it is good to know that they may not be a real 'fire and forget' re-installation.

I would really let the price difference be my guide, then if you have a little time to spare to make them fit, try them out.

Don't just buy them and let them sit around. Be ready to fit them up when you get them so that if they are totally out of the ballpark you can respond back to the seller quickly.

TilliamWe

Banned

First, don't you have collision coverage on the car? Why are you thinking that you need to repair it yourself, or get the parts yourself?
Second, those two parts are almost certainly aftermarket parts. While some aftermarket parts work very well (some BETTER THAN OEM), bumper covers and fenders are hit an miss. I couldn't tell from either of those ebay listing where those parts are from, whether they are OEM or A/M, and if they are A/M were they CAPA certified. The fact that the listings don't SHOUT OUT that they are aren't OEM Honda parts, I distrust the listers.
Third, Honda parts are not usually very expensive. Especially bumper covers and fenders. Brand new OEM parts might not be as highly priced as you think.

Good luck.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I rebuilt the whole front end of my Jeep Grand Cherokee with parts that I bought off ebay and would not hesitate to do it again..

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

no the car doesnt have collision. its a 2000 acura tl with 240k miles. im just a kid and its my first car. the accident was my fault and im just trying to pay the least amount of money. i know how to change the fender and bumper again just trying to save money

mscher

Lieutenant

I purchased two complete rear taillight lens assemblies, for 97' Ford Ranger. Looked like the ones I removed (except they were not broken) and fit perfect.

Paid about $45 for the pair.

I'd consider parts off eBay again, in a heartbeat.

If they are junk, it will likely show up in feedback somewhere. Companies know there is enough money in aftermarkets parts, to build them correctly. It's not rocket science.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

no the car doesnt have collision. its a 2000 acura tl with 240k miles. im just a kid and its my first car. the accident was my fault and im just trying to pay the least amount of money. i know how to change the fender and bumper again just trying to save money

If you can find parts in a salvage yard, you might save even more money. It might be worth a couple phone calls to see.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

I have had good luck with the parts I have purchased. do some price comparision on shipping. Some will give you a good price, then charge outrageous to ship. Look at feedback. Actually read some of them, you might find some that have purchased what you are looking for. USAautoparts is one to look for.

Good Luck :cool:

<<)))(((>>

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Notice on both of those listings that the shipping is as much as the parts or more.
I have bought after market fenders and a hood before.The fit was terrible and could never get the fender to line up with the door.

I would sure check the salvage yards first.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I rebult the whole front clip of my 99 Heep Grand Cherokee with cheap aftermarket parts from Certi-Fit and would not hesitate to again. 1/2 the price of junkyards and 1/3rd the price of new oem.

In your area you can save some shipping and cash and carry, call ahead to see if they have your parts.

Certi-Fit Auto Body Parts
9160 Pennsauken Hwy
Pennsauken, NJ 08110
(856) 661-9500

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

If you can find parts in a salvage yard, you might save even more money. It might be worth a couple phone calls to see.

ive called many junkyards no one has my car (2000 acura tl))

mscher

Lieutenant

FWIW, the last time I visited a junkyard, I paid $50 for a 70's Chevy pickup truck rim. :( While I was there, I overheard the parts prices the desk guys were quoting customers. All I could think was "goldmine".

A steel mfg. company has opened a "pull your part" store, in my area. They are stocking it with the many reasonably good vehicles, people are selling them for scrap price. Too much value in there to simply shred them up.

The economy is making folks hold on to vehicles longer, so they need the parts and the trips to the parts stores and dealers, is pretty painful.

hshift

Seaman Apprentice

For older cars like yours, if there is a Pull-a-Part in your area, and they have your car, that is the cheapest option. www.rockauto.com is where I get parts that I can't find locally. They ship from three warehouses, and if all your parts come from one warehouse, the shipping is very reasonable.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I rebuilt the whole front end of my Jeep Grand Cherokee with parts that I bought off ebay and would not hesitate to do it again..

Ditto that for my cherokee. Plus a radiator. Absolutely no problems.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

ive called many junkyards no one has my car (2000 acura tl))

Finding anything useable on the front of any vehicle from a junkyard is near impossible.
Even more so for the non-body shop guy.
Most vehicles totaled are front end collision victims.
And are the first parts sold of a rear-end total when the come into the yard.

You could try http://car-part.com/index.htm
It will search from your zip code all the junkyards that have what your looking for.
And will also show the range of years that will also fit your 2000.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have purchased from this company on ebay:

http://stores.ebay.com/Car-Parts-Wholesale

And I have purchased from this company:

http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Body-Parts

Both had decent prices as well as most of the time their shipping prices are free, the parts I purchased fit my Jeep with no problems at all, so you might check them out to see how their prices compare, they both have pretty good feedback ratings 99% and 99.2%

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just a point to note, due to similarity of source, aftermarket parts for a japanese car like your honda is much more likely to be a perfect fit than aftermarket parts for an american car. people here rearly but new parts for older cars if they could not get used they buy after market. and there is often very little problem in fitting. most of our card are japanese. often a lot of the after market come off the same line in japan and taiwan as the oem

TilliamWe

Banned

nofuss is hitting upon a little secret that many don't know. Not everything on your Acura was made by Honda in the first place. All car manufacturers are that way. The radiators, brakes, shocks, headlamps, and kinds of things are all made by some other supplier. Since they are sold directly to the car maker, they aren't considered "aftermarket". But there truly are some "aftermarket" auto parts that when you buy them are the EXACT same part as the ones installed from the factory.

LKQ corporation is the most widely used used parts company used by insurance companies around here and other areas. They have salvage yards all over the place and will ship. You can try them too, if you feel like it: http://www.lkqcorp.com/home/home.asp