What's the (missing) part (carb linkage) '85 25hp

quaggy

Recruit
I can't figure this out. The carb diagrams that I have been looking at show nothing for this. On the picture, I am looking for a part that fits in the hole I've labeled 1. I think something is missing because the rod (2) should be pushed forward (to the right) when I increase throttle (to close/choke the carb). Is there a screw or plastic piece or what? I am assuming it is a cam or something. Where do I find it? Thank you for your help. Edit: Engine is an 85 Johnson 25hp - J25RLCOS.

Attachments

• carb stuff.JPG
    carb stuff.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 0

quaggy

Recruit
Re: What's the (missing) part (carb linkage) '85 25hp

Thanks for the clarification on the diagram. I was looking for something for the slot head screw to screw into on my carb and now I realize that #14 in the diagram is the plate on the back and allows the screw to stay in place.

However, I am still not sure how it pushes the lever in my picture forward. If anyone has a picture of their setup, I would appreciate it. Maybe my lever is broken?

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it is like my carb, when the throttle opens it pulls the choke open if the choke is closed. But with the throttle closed, the choke can open or close (and the link just slides back and forth in the white plastic guide).
So I don't think it is supposed to push forward, just pull backward.
Is that what yours is doing?

quaggy

Recruit

The problem with mine is: when it idles or low speed, it runs great. But, mid to high throttle, the engine bogs down. If I push the rod forward, it closes the flap at the front of the carb (chokes it) and it runs great. Right now, the rod is just sliding in the plastic sleeve. (If I choke it with the actual choke lever at the front of the engine at initial startup, the rod DOES pull the throttle lever forward increasing the throttle slightly.) I just rebuilt the carb and cleaned it, so I thought something would have to push the rod forward, since when I push it forward manually (or use the choke lever) it runs great at mid to high throttle.

Could it be another problem? I thought something was missing since I could make the engine run better by pushing forward on the rod.

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

hopefully an expert will chime in:) real soon

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If a partial choking makes the motor run better, your issue is not a missing part, rather it's a plugged up carb jet. Choking to make it run better is a sure sign you're running lean. Disassemble and thoroughly clean the carburetor...
- Scott

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Exactly. Your high speed jet is plugged. Choking it forces more gas through the clogged jet. It is in the bottom of the float bowl deep in the hole behind the hex head drain plug. You are supposed to use a special screwdriver to get it out. The hole (orfice) is precision sized. Don't mess with it except to get it immaculatly clean.

quaggy

Recruit

I just did a carb rebuilt kit and thought I cleaned it really well. I guess I'll take it apart again and try once more. Would it be worth buying a new high speed jet?

G DANE

Commander

You are not missing anything there. In some years the sync'n - link was done by extending or shortening the rod that opens throttle butterfly, and yours are build that way. It is essential that throttle starts to open exactly when the roller is right between the marks on the cam on the stator, or a little later, when throttle is increased. Never before. On some models this adjustment could be made, by a double bracket on carb, where the outher part was held to the inner by a screw thru that oval hole. When they passed on to the method with the adjustable rod, they continued using the inner bracket with the oval hole, thats why it looks like that.

quaggy

Recruit

Thank you for everyone's help. I will get it spotless and try it out.