Critter problem

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Got a problem with a critter (Coon; possum; or ?) This sucker loves dry dog food and duck feed. The search showed few solutions; most said pay someone; some say live trap. I have a live trap; It is strong or big enough to knock the lid off the barrel barrel with a concrete block on top.
I have resorted to poison; not working. Have tried Boriac; Acid; gopher and rat bat pellets; and some ant bait with Golden Marlin. Have even put broken glass in the mix; no help.
I looked online at the spring loaded traps; but they appear to be too small.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My neighbor is having the same problem; lost 3 ducks. Got to be the same critter.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
have you thought of re-locating the feed to where it cant get it?

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Yes; am doing that now, My thing is this critter is a threat to people and pets. It has been a problem almost 3 weeks.

Any solution (humane or not) is what I'm after. Dog isn't safe in a fenced in back yard.

Closest critter trapper wants 100 bucks a week to try.

southkogs

Staff member
Might be time to sit up a couple nights with some bait and a .22

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Using poison can cause unintended deaths to pets and other critters you might want around. If youre using a weapon, be sure to check your state hunting regulations. Maybe get the proper hav a hart trap and then relocate it miles away. Get a bigger pet which can deter the critter, or get rid of the all food souces.

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Setup a camera, maybe one of those trail cameras. This way you know what you are dealing with. Then you can assess how to deal with the particular animal. By randomly placing poison or guessing what size or type of traps to use, you may harm someone's pet or other innocent animals.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Another note...get to the root of the problem. Your dog food and duck feed are attracting this animal. If the food wasn't there the animal wouldn't come around. Maybe find another way to feed. Perhaps only feed when you are present.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Seeing any foot prints to ID the beast? Might be time to set up a trail cam like Joe said, to see what you're dealing with.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Someone I know shot a fox because it kept taking his chickens. A neighbor called the game warden on him. The game warden told him he was shooting fox out of season. He responded with the fact that he was protecting his livestock. No issue, no fine, the warden left. This was in PA. I don't know if you would have the same results where you live.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
All good suggestions. Dog and duck are in 30 Gallon barrels; both have lids with a cinder block on top.

Am only baiting with duck feed and poison; set where ducks can't get to. That should eliminate a pet.

Trap is baited with pet or chicken bones. Have drilled holes in the bones and wired to the trigger; didn't help

Animal Control only deals with dogs and cat. County said to bait; poison; or shotgun.

Game Warden will come out and haul off if caught .(Did find out something interesting. These people are State Cops. They have full authority though out the State. I think that puts them above Judge Judy).

Neighbor has lost a duck and a feral barn cat.
May sound like I'm cruel and hateful; I'm not. I'm giving it every chance to get caught; poisoned;or shot. It's their choice.

GA_Boater

DPW wardens in Texas have more power than DPS or Texas Rangers.

Any wild hogs running around? Some of the stuff the critter is doing sounds like it could be a boar except they don't care about day or night.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
It's possible; but its been too hot. Also was eating dog food on the back patio (fenced in).
One thing about GM's; they are never wrong! Ask one? Also most are decent people; only a few have pointed heads

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
What are you doing S; trying to ruin my day! Got out this morning (in the rain); might have got lucky. Trap wasn't tripped and
the bait was not touched.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Can give update! It has not shown up in 3 days; must have got it. Thanks for the thoughts!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Good for you it's gone, but I am dying of curiosity regarding what Sam posted to get that response from Ga boater. Lol

GA_Boater

Good for you it's gone, but I am dying of curiosity regarding what Sam posted to get that response from Ga boater. Lol

This one?

DPW wardens in Texas have more power than DPS or Texas Rangers.

Any wild hogs running around? Some of the stuff the critter is doing sounds like it could be a boar except they don't care about day or night.

GA_Boater

No, it didn't pass. The subject is not for this forum.

I bite my tongue in here and don't bring up certain subjects as much as I want to.