electrical connectors

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am installing electrical service to my shop. What is the best way to splice #2 copper wire to #2 aluminum triplex on an outside service pole. The copper goes up the pole in conduit from the disconnect on the pole. The triplex runs from the pole to my shop in the air. What is the best connector to use between the copper and aluminum and does it need to be insulated and if so how? The connection point is about 18 feet in the air. Any advice will be appreciated.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you have access to a large diameter crimper? If not I would suggest these connectors called Polaris lugs. They come insulated. But could use tape also but DEFINITELY use penetrox a corrosion inhibitor.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you cant find Polaris lugs good ole split bolts and tape the f&&)(;)& out of it with rubber tape then 33+.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Crimping (high press) is the preferred method, but split bolts will work if done properly. They need to be tight, then hold it in your hand while lightly hitting the flat side with a hammer, then you will find you can tighten it more. Then cover completely with rubber, friction then plastic tapes. When doing the rubber tape, feel the high spots and if they still feel sharp, put more tape. Don't cheap out on the tape.
I will emphasize the use of penetrox... an absolute must due to the connection of copper to aluminum.

bigdee

Commander
I have tied in hundreds of service entry cables at the weatherhead to the power company's triplex without issue, Torque split bolts and use Noalox paste.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is the taping necessary with properly torqued split bolts at this high elevation?

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well nobody is just gonna reach out and touch it but let’s say there’s a heavy wind and the connections go phase to phase then it’ll be boom boom. Or phase to neutral, boom. So the tape has no bearing on staying together but most importantly protecting from a short. That’s why you need a couple layers of rubber tape 130c, I like the 1” wide, then a good coverage of 33+, vinyl. The Polaris lugs are more of a motor connection but they’re really convenient any where. And don’t forget the penatrox.

bigdee

Commander
Is the taping necessary with properly torqued split bolts at this high elevation?

Not necessary but not a bad idea either. Power company don't tape their service entry taps.....wind is not going to move #2 wire with a 2 foot drip loop.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thank everyone for your replies. I think that I will go with the split bolts (already have some on hand) and tape properly. You all are, as usual, an excellent source of very helpful information.