waterproof electrical plug box on a lamp post

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
I have a lamp post with a plug like the picture below. It stopped working and I need to plug in the charger for my automatic gate opener. problem is, I want it to be as waterproof as possible, so I'd like to get a plug in a plastic waterproof box with the hinged cover. Problem is, I cant find anything that has a concave/curved mounting back like this switch. I need it to mount to a round lamp post. does anyone know if they make it or if I can fashion one somehow? Thanks all.

Attachments

• photo287108.png
    photo287108.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You could shape a block out of wood, seal it with epoxy and paint it to match the post. I just googled it, and they can be bought online, have you tried your local hardware stores??

alldodge

Staff member
Think your looking for something like this which is rain tight

http://www.electricbargainstores.co...YZmkkAP3oIRUGux58IR38q3jK05uPzrAaArMIEALw_wcB

but assuming this will be plugged in all the time. Could use a water tight cable connection and have the cord hard wired inside the pole. Either splice or run a hole new cord which is long enough to go inside the light pole from up at the light and to gate. Drill a hole in the post, fish wire thru and have only the cord coming thru.

connector.jpg

Hardest part will be getting the nut on the back from inside the post. Fish the wire thru, place nut on and let slide down to connector. Use some sort of stick or rod to help position it.

sam am I

Commander
Ahhh, got cha.......

Then sticking with that standard curved pipe mount outlet in those links your stuck with but, then replace the "not in use" water resistant face/cover with a "in-use" water resistant face/cover?

Might have to even swap out the innards if the form factor is off for the cover/face mating but, as shown, the GFI would be safe anyway to swap to and should work.

8417-6380.ashx.jpg

Attachments

• 1-gang-horizontal-or-vertical-mount-weatherproof-while-in-use-cover-kit-mkg410c-the-home-depot-6.jpg
    1-gang-horizontal-or-vertical-mount-weatherproof-while-in-use-cover-kit-mkg410c-the-home-depot-6.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
+1 what Sam posted. Just change out the cover and you can close the new clear plastic lid while the plug is "in use". I can't tell from the photo if your existing one is a single or duplex. The new cover will come with all kinds of adaptors, duplex, singles of different diameter or toggle switch. If the outlet is OK, you don't need to mess with that, just change the cover and gasket.

sam am I

Commander
It does look like those curved bezel types are are all one piece BUT, if a guy needs to, could just remove the flapper door. The unit below in the vid looks like it is made for that type of single centered outlet, (the main box has knocks outs including an adapter piece and a gasket looks likes for those)......... Just might have to get a bit longer screws if they don't back out far enough to catch and hold the new door on to the curved outlets existing face..