Finally building an outdoor kitchen .May need some idea's /help .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thats one heavy table ! :lol: Turned out nice though ...
My sil Chris came over yesterday and welded the rebar for me ... He did a great job but I won't tell em that .. :heh:
Crunch time at work so I don't see getting much done on it for a few weeks .... Maybe an hour or two after work ... Seems like it's starting to get dark a little later in the day which is good IMHO ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Progress pics Sam. I know you are working the space c'mon.....pics, pics, pics.:playball:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yes I have to admit, I too think Sam is holding out on us now. Where are the pictures Sam? :whistle:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Not holding out just working 4 /10's and and 3 / 8's at work ... Too pooped to party here lately .. I did get my sil to tack weld the perimeter rebar around and I installed the wire mesh "not shown in pic " to that ..

Not much to look at .. I also picked up a bag of quickcrete 5000 psi mix ... It has a little smaller aggregate and is a little lighter color than the Sakcrete mix ..
Made a little test edge using some 1/4 round cove I had laying around ... Turned out ok but still not what I am looking for ...

And on a very sad note that I have not mentioned here yet ... My sister in law is not doing well ... 8 years ago she fought and battled with Breast cancer and one that fight until now ... It has spread to her brain and they have stopped all treatment for the cancer and she is in Hospice care now ... It hit so fast that just a few weeks ago she looked pretty healthy for the most part to just a fraction of herself now ...
My wife and also me aren't taking this too well .. She is out of all my inlaws my favorite of the bunch ... We also share the same birthday ... I will miss her birthday calls every year ... "Hey birthday boy " !! "Hey birthday girl "!! .
I just came from a visit ... She asked me how this kitchen project was coming along .. So I filled her in on the progress ... She suggested that I make some pendant lights out of old wine glasses to hang over the bar ... I think I'll try and do that if I can figure out how to do it ...
It is sad but soon she won't have any more pain and can be at peace ....

Anyway hopefully I can make some progress soon and get this thing moving again ...
Have a great weekend everyone !

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hate to hear that Sam

We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam I am very sorry to hear about your sister in law is not doing well. Prayers are coming your way. Something like that does put the brakes on everything else. God Bless your family. :pray:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sam, I am so sorry to hear of your sister in law, Prayers for her and your family.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Very sorry Sam to hear that. She sounds like one tough great cookie.
In my thoughts and prayers.

southkogs

Staff member
Sam, sorry to hear of your sister-in-law. I'll be praying for a miracle for her.

The glasses (or even wine bottles) as pendant lights would be nice. Maybe like she's always got a spot at the bar :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers guys ...SK , thats what I was thinking .. I'll have to start looking around the web on idea's and how to video's ..
I made another sample edge form this afternoon ... Now if I can just wait a couple days before I pop the forms off ... I always get anxious and pull them too soon ... Being patient is not one of my strongest assets .. :facepalm:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers guys ...SK , thats what I was thinking .. I'll have to start looking around the web on idea's and how to video's ..
I made another sample edge form this afternoon ... Now if I can just wait a couple days before I pop the forms off ... I always get anxious and pull them too soon ... Being patient is not one of my strongest assets .. :facepalm:

Sam for being inpatient, you sure pull off some nice projects. :smile:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Here is 2 sample edges ... The one on the left I pulled from the form too soon ... The one on the right is not to bad I think ..The piece in the middle is just some tan pigment I added to see what it would look like ..

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I vote for the one on the right. I think the cleaner profile is nicer, but that's just me! Are you thinking you like the tan color, or does the search continue?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think I may do a few more samples edges .. Just a square edge , a square with top at 45 deg angle , and a full bull nose ...
The color not sure ... I am going to order a sample kit of acid stain ... Not sure if I can stain the colored cement or not ..

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think I may do a few more samples edges .. Just a square edge , a square with top at 45 deg angle , and a full bull nose ...
The color not sure ... I am going to order a sample kit of acid stain ... Not sure if I can stain the colored cement or not ..

Sam knowing how you do everything, I can easily see whatever you select looking great. JMHO!

southkogs

Staff member
How about a profile kinda' like this:

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 8.17.43 AM.png

Sort of the reverse of the cantilever above.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Sam,
I like the phot on the right like NM. Kinda has a cool old age look about it if that's what you want. The stain will really bring it out and it won't be overwhelming. The other edges will be easier to achive. I like that one....kinda like what you find on the bottom of the ocean from an old discovery.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
SK , I do like that profile but I have some radius curves that might make that a little harder to form ...
I think I'm gunna try and split a 2" pvc pipe in half and make a full bullnose sample ..
How do you think I can rip a pvc pipe down the center safely ? Something about using a table saw for that kind of gives me the shivers .. :eek:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Grab a couple of 2x3/4" tees, stick a pc of 3/4 in the branch and you will a good, safe handle to push or pull with. keep dem fingas.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
SK , I do like that profile but I have some radius curves that might make that a little harder to form ...
I think I'm gunna try and split a 2" pvc pipe in half and make a full bullnose sample ..
How do you think I can rip a pvc pipe down the center safely ? Something about using a table saw for that kind of gives me the shivers .. :eek:

Sam not to worry, Use a solid guide and have at it on the table saw. It will cut like butter. However, you will also have little white pieces of PCV plastic everywhere. But it cuts really easily. I used a table saw, a chop saw and my band saw and cut lengthwise PVC. Either works get! JMHO!