Photobucket (outrageous charges)....

Status
Not open for further replies.

82rude

Rear Admiral
When has use at your own risk ever stopped judgments in your state bruce?Maybe it would be in the form of punitive damages?Personally i dont care i was actually thinking out loud because unless you live under a rock you know your the most sue happy nation in the galaxy,lol.Can people transfer their stored photos at no cost and no loss?Are they holding photos hostage?Me i backed all mine up a long time ago because they have been getting worse and worse with their adds and it was taking me forever just to get to a pic so i could post it whereever for somebodys enjoyment i hoped.Its more of a massive pr gaff for them id think .There must be milllions of speedos out on the intranet now :facepalm: Come to think of it use at your own risk doesn't even work up here sometimes it just depends how stupid the jury is.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
TOS....
  • You use the Site at your own risk and the Site and services are provided "AS IS."
I have a business and I host my own photos. If you have a business and you rely on PB to host your photos, you shouldn't be in business.

I have a fundemental problem with companies changing their ToS in such a drastic way, without offering anyone notice of such. I hope they do go seriously chapter 11.

Any business that used PB to host their images deserves to lose them. There are tons of legitimate paid cloud hosting services for actual business websites. None of us were trying to make money using PB's hosting services.

I agree with you, and I would never host business images on anything but my own server... But there are enough stupid people out there.... (and see above)

Cheers.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I have a fundemental problem with companies changing their ToS in such a drastic way, without offering anyone notice of such. I hope they do go seriously chapter 11.

I agree with you, and I would never host business images on anything but my own server... But there are enough stupid people out there.... (and see above)

Cheers.

I was just thinking about this, and you can lease your own VPS server for far less than what PB is now charging. AWS and Digital Ocean, for just two examples, can give you plenty of broadband and storage for this purpose for far less money. And it's your own server for however long you pay for the hosting. It's crazy.

Yes, setting up your own server takes some doing, but it may be the way to go going forward.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Dropbox test:
u3TswwuwaIoLFpYafWtAH2bm_nHeoQfUrE6IgBCcZ3c

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

The problem is not photobucket or any image site. It's forums that don't allow posting pics unless you use one. On a lot of sites I can just grab a photo from my photo album and post it directly. It lets me attempt that here but if it's not resized so small or from a 10 year old phone it won't work. We should be putting pressure on the forums not just sites like PB. Come on Iboats fix the forum so we can post pics the modern way. Ask for donations or premium memberships to offset cost if you have too. A pic says a thousand words but having to use an off site host cuts the use of them drastically even when they do work.

Attachments

• photo238011.jpeg
    photo238011.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
No Title

At the time joined PB was the best option, after a few forum crashes, it was an even better option.

That has now changed.

Hopefully new pending changes here will provide an improved pix posting experience.

I post pix occasionally directly from my S6 android phone w little problem. Heres 1

Attachments

• photo269172.jpg
    photo269172.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The problem is not photobucket or any image site. It's forums that don't allow posting pics unless you use one. On a lot of sites I can just grab a photo from my photo album and post it directly. It lets me attempt that here but if it's not resized so small or from a 10 year old phone it won't work. We should be putting pressure on the forums not just sites like PB. Come on Iboats fix the forum so we can post pics the modern way. Ask for donations or premium memberships to offset cost if you have too. A pic says a thousand words but having to use an off site host cuts the use of them drastically even when they do work.

Not meaning to hurt your feelings, but you are very, very wrong.

PB wants 400 USD to allow what has been either free or for minimal cost since PB's inception in 2003. Adding icing on the cake - They did this with no notice to the users.

Do you know we have thousands of photos posted directly from smartphones? I don't have a smartphone, but I have posted hundreds of pics directly to the forum. A photo hosting site is not needed to add any photos in this forum.

82rude

Rear Admiral
MY comment about living under a rock is a general comment not directed at you bruceb58,its for everybody,lol:)

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Not meaning to hurt your feelings, but you are very, very wrong.

PB wants 400 USD to allow what has been either free or for minimal cost since PB's inception in 2003. Adding icing on the cake - They did this with no notice to the users.

Do you know we have thousands of photos posted directly from smartphones? I don't have a smartphone, but I have posted hundreds of pics directly to the forum. A photo hosting site is not needed to add any photos in this forum.

I just tried it on my 4.5 year old iPhone. I just took a pic of 2 hp Johnson and then I hit upload on here. Other sites grab the photo directly from your album and insert it into your message but here we upload them first. That's OK but Warning Message here says "Your file of 700046 exceeds the limit of 300000 bytes." That's the problem. I know you all are dying to see that dandy little 1980 2hp but how?

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
I just snagged the pic from tinypic. I here they are owned by PB so let's see if that works.
34flilk.jpg

I think that worked and it's not too bad but still a pain to leave this site, go to another to convert, copy past then come back here.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Your iphone likely has a resolution sizing function. Take medium res pix instead of high res. If they're still to big, change to low res. We aren't trying to print a copy or project a movie theater screen sized image of it, Low res will be more then sufficient. It may be listed as size limits 5MB+, 3MB, or smaller. Pick small

Handy pix posting help
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum...pload-tutorial

Has been posted, w few changes since May 2015

yep TP pix worked.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Your iphone likely has a resolution sizing function. Take medium res pix instead of high res. If they're still to big, change to low res. We aren't trying to print a copy or project a movie theater screen sized image of it, Low res will be more then sufficient. It may be listed as size limits 5MB+, 3MB, or smaller. Pick small

Handy pix posting help
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum...pload-tutorial

Has been posted, w few changes since May 2015

yep TP pix worked.

Face it, it "works" and "can be done" in small low resolution but there are forum posting formats that are light years ahead. I think the fine folks putting their heart and souls into these threads here deserve it. I know most boating forums are outdated and others worse but I think since this is the best one (except the mods lol) it deserve the best format for posting pics.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Face it, it "works" and "can be done" in small low resolution but there are forum posting formats that are light years ahead. I think the fine folks putting their heart and souls into these threads here deserve it. I know most boating forums are outdated and others worse but I think since this is the best one (except the mods lol) it deserve the best format for posting pics.

That does it! That is not funny! Enjoy your vacation.

Alumarine

Captain
Trouble for me is that I'm usually not taking pictures specifically to post on the forum.
But I do take pictures when I'm working on something and keep them on my pc for reference.
I'm not going to change the resolution when I take them as I want a higher resolution so that means I have to make them smaller after the fact to post directly on the forum.

It can be done, and I do it, but it's not at all convenient.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Stumpalump took the words out of my mouth about posting pics on forums. Many forums now a days will let you post directly to the forum through the forum options (not using a third party source) and WITHOUT image size restrictions. I was disappointed about that when I first joined Iboats but since I had PB anyways it wasnt a huge deal for me. Hopefully we'll see that option available soon here. IE-without size restrictions.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Trouble for me is that I'm usually not taking pictures specifically to post on the forum.
But I do take pictures when I'm working on something and keep them on my pc for reference.
I'm not going to change the resolution when I take them as I want a higher resolution so that means I have to make them smaller after the fact to post directly on the forum.

It can be done, and I do it, but it's not at all convenient.

^this

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Guys, stop trying to post jpegs. Change the format you're saving in to .png. Works perfectly.

Chris. ....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am going to have to deal with the photobucket carp when i get back to civilization.
Went thru this when webshots changed owners and hosed all the forum pics a few years ago, we as a collective will make it thru this.

Worst case, i set up a go-daddy domain and turn one of my PCs into my own photo hosting service

The main question i have for mods.... Can we have access to fix our own prior threads once we re-establish a photo reservoir on our ISP or other site, or do we need to PM mods to change them for us?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I am going to have to deal with the photobucket carp when i get back to civilization.
Went thru this when webshots changed owners and hosed all the forum pics a few years ago, we as a collective will make it thru this.

Worst case, i set up a go-daddy domain and turn one of my PCs into my own photo hosting service

The main question i have for mods.... Can we have access to fix our own prior threads once we re-establish a photo reservoir on our ISP or other site, or do we need to PM mods to change them for us?

Not yet, Scott, but there is a discussion about edit privledges....

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Converted a full res pic from jpg to png for direct upload to iboats, invalid format, tired again and got a critical error that tanked the upload widget. That's not gonna work.

Status
Not open for further replies.