Great movies of the 60s and 70s

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Guys, I have come to the conclusion that Hollywood cant make the great movies like they did in the 60s and 70s.<br /><br />Movies like:<br /><br />Bullit<br />Vanishing Point<br />Deliverence<br />Dirty Harry<br /><br />These were movies where the actors acted, not too heavy on plot. Great acting with minimal dialoge made these movies great.<br /><br />Anyone have any others to add to the list.<br /><br /><br />Ken

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Great movies of the 60s and 70s

The Great Escape -- McQueen and Garner were greatness.<br /><br />All the spagetti westerns with Clint Eastwood

KaGee

Admiral

Same can be said about professional sports Ken.<br /><br />Gone are the days when players played their hearts out for the love of the game and actors fulfilled roles for the love of the stage.<br /><br />It's all about $$ and "ME".

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Your trying to figure out, did I shoot 5 or 6 times"<br />"You feeling lucky?"<br /><br /><br />Gota love them old movies.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Capt. Kidd:<br /> All the spagetti westerns with Clint Eastwood
Man, I love those flicks. I started watching another Sergio Leone movie the other night--one he did much later and it was horrible. <br /><br />As for others, I always liked watching the Peter Sellars' Pink Panther movies with my dad. We always had a blast.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Papillion is also great from that era.<br /><br />A few more recent films that are good acting are: Out of sight, O brother where art thou?, and Pulp Fiction.<br /><br />Ken

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chinatown. Not sure on the vintage, but I believe it is late 70's. Jack Nicholson is the man.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

1967- Bonnie and Clyde with Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway...one of my all time favorites.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Dirty Harry movies rocked. Cool Hand Luke is another personal fave of mine from that era. Loved Deliverance, don't know why. The first Alien movie set a standard that is still difficult if not impossible to match. I'm kind of a sci fi geek so I always fall sucker to a movie with plenty of robots and explosions (you can't leave out Star Wars, it was a ground breaking movie despite the personal preferences of some), but a good drama, horror, or comedy is fine as well. Too many to choose from. A lot of current movies rely on special effects without giving you a storyline or characters to care about. Deep Impact was a good s/f movie of recent past because it was character driven, with a good proper amount of s/f that was only a part of the story instead of being the whole movie. Of course, taste is highly subjective when it comes to movies. I'll watch anything, but it is hard to impress me enough to cause me to actually like it.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Chinatown's one of my favorites.. The sequil, The two Jakes, was'nt bad either, although it was an 80's film..<br />Escape from Alcatraz... <br />The dirty dozen...<br />One from the late 50's, Bridge on the river kaui(sp?)..<br /><br />Recent films.. The Shawshank redemption.. Open Range..

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got "Mister Roberts" (1955) - a classic WWII movie. Cast includes: Henry Fonda, James Cagney, Jack Lemmon, Joshua Logan, John Ford, Mervyn LeRoy, William Powell, Betsy Palmer, Ward Bond, Philip Carey, Nick Adams.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Midnight Cowboy<br />Blade Runner<br /><br /><br />BTW ken, O, Brother is one of my favorites. Another George Clooney film, The Three Kings falls into this category.<br /><br />and how about Sling Blade

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't know when made, but.<br /><br />"It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" was probably the funniest slapstick movie ever.<br /><br />"We're no Angels", Bogart, Aldo Ray and Peter Ustinov, makes me smile for hours every time I see it.<br /><br />"African Queen" greatest adventure.<br /><br />"Dances With Wolves" spectacular story.<br /><br />There are a few more, but those are my favorites.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Definitely agree with the Great Escape among many others mentioned.<br /><br />Also: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest<br />Nicholson at his absolute best!<br /><br />"My name is R.P. McMurphy."

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

M*A*S*H (the movie not the series)<br /><br />and<br /><br />how about a TV series with minimal dialogue & weak plot, but good acting to carry it: Kung Fu

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Airplane:<br /><br />Blazin Saddles (Mell)<br /><br />Search for the Holy Grail (monty Python)<br /><br />Cape Fear

f_inscreenname

Commander

Man there is so many. Just a couple. I am sure I will think of better movies later but for now. Star Wars, Apocalypse Now (I cant believe no one said this one before) and The Rocky Horror Picture Show (did I mention my boats name is Time Warp). I wish you would have added the 80’s. Then I could have added some great movies like Red Dawn, Back to the Future, Terminator and every teenagers dream Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Before the 60’s I would say Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Life Boat(?) (Alfred Hitchcock). <br />There are great movies every decade just these days there is a lot more crap.

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

You actually liked The Rocky Horror Picture Shaow? How about O-k-l-a-h-o-m-a. (I was singing it, can't you tell?)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Kelly's Heroes.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Jaws, The guns of/force 10 from Navarone, Kelly's heros, Hunt for Red October, Last flight of the Phoenix, Animal House, Caddyshack, For your eyes only.<br /><br />And admit it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was cool.