BRP discontinues Evinrude

harringtondav

Commander
Wow. Tough market. Polaris recently bought Larsen and Rinker boat brands, and quickly killed the brands. I can speculate on this and the BRP thing, but it's all over my head. ....maybe retooling the factories for their own products.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Kind of sad here .. I love my E-Tec ..
So no Evinrude brand outboards product made at all now ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wow. Tough market. Polaris recently bought Larsen and Rinker boat brands, and quickly killed the brands. I can speculate on this and the BRP thing, but it's all over my head. ....maybe retooling the factories for their own products.

BRP will be buying mercury products

aspeck

Staff member
No more Johnnyrudes! I am bummed. My dealer friend told me about this today. He is scrambling to find out what it means for him... 2 years ago all his mechanics HAD to begin taking Mercury classes. I guess the writing has been on the wall for a while now.:confusion:

tpenfield

Staff member
Johnyrudes never seemed to fully come back after the Ficht technology debacle . . . Interesting thing is that outboards in general are in very high demand due to the traditional I/O boats swinging towards OB's in the past 3-5 years.

I am not crying over this, as I have always been partial to the Mercury brand. I am curious about the "next generation engine technology" that BRP speaks of in the article.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Likely will involve -----Batteries and a charging system.-----Internal combustion engines are expensive to manufacture compared to batteries , electronics , electric motors.------Also changing consumer demands.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Likely will involve -----Batteries and a charging system.-----Internal combustion engines are expensive to manufacture compared to batteries , electronics , electric motors.------Also changing consumer demands.

thats because we buy all that stuff from china.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Interesting thing is that outboards in general are in very high demand due to the traditional I/O boats swinging towards OB's in the past 3-5 years..
It different in every region, but the Mid Atlantic has been overwhelming Yamaha for quite sometime.

Lots of Merc small HP outboards and jets around. You can count Evinrude dealers within 100 mile radius on two fingers.

The up and comer in the game is Suzuki. Seeing more and more going to Suzuki when time to repower

Scott Danforth

Staff member
my issue is I know people that were involved with both Mercury and OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) from the beginning. I dont know anyone in Japan so I cant support Yamaha or Suzuki like I do Merc products.

I have worked with half the engineering team at Mercury in my prior life, many coming from SkyTrack/Lull. I know the test engineer that validated the mercury snowmobiles in the late 60's and early 70's. My buddy Carl owns the property that part of the snowmobile test track sits on in Fond du Lac.

My wife's best friends husband's grandfather was best friends with Ole Evinrude and helped him test engines on Lake Kegonsa and Koshkenong.

at another point in my career, i designed heat exchangers used on Mercury and BRP products (as well as mercruiser, VP, PCM, etc).

its a sad day to loose Evinrude.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
it is constant, however its not always for the betterment

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
So which is it ?????

""We will continue to supply customers and our dealer network service parts,""

OR

"All parts have ceased for ALL year motors...only parts carried will be for engines 2015-2020 for warranty purposes nothing sold over counter"

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I heard a rumor...ah...on another board...that this is the end of E-tec, not necessarily of Evinrude though and that rumor was...that there may be a line of 4 stroke outboards using Rotax technology...the use of Merc OBs may just be a stop gap measure...I'm hoping this is true and certainly because of their snowmobile and ATV experience BRP has had a lot of experience here...might be better than current 4 stroke outboard tech? One thing about modern 4 stroke outboards they are fiendishly complex and the parts are VERY expensive. If you want a shock look up the parts prices of Merc ECMs for some of their outboards. Insane prices.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ouch , thats a crying shame, less choice . I've heard nothing but good things about E-Tecs

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well in history old HENRY FORD insisted that the Model T was the perfect car for the people.-----Sales started to decline and it drove him mad.-----Competition gave folks many other choices too.-----But market forces today are very complex.----Many folks today are driven by convenience / GREEN technology and have a poor understanding of simple 2 stroke technology of years gone by.----I cut grass with an old 2 stroke Lawn Boy mower .---Paid $25 for it and it runs like new.----I know how to fix it,---Neighbor showed me his new Mikita battery powered lawnmower the other day said he paid $400 for it he is happy with it so far !

Last edited: