Robot Vacuum, my new friend....

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
About six months ago, on my sister's recommendation, I bought a DeeBot N79 robot vacuum. It's one of the less costly units ($169 for mine) and doesn't have all the features that the more expensive ones do.

The little devil wanders around like a drunk for an hour or so, back and forth, hither and yon. If you watch and wait for it to go over a specific spot, your frustration mounts as it passes near it or turns just before reaching it. But, like a pot set to boil, it eventually does get to it. Best to start it and go do something else..! On carpet the battery holds for about the aforementioned hour; on hard floor it's more like an hour and a half.

It goes under the beds, under the futon in my office, around all the other furniture - everything but the corners. It's round and so doesn't get into there. Got to lift all wires off the floor as well or it will tangle up and stop.

The amazing thing is that when you empty the dust pan after it finishes, there's a LOT of dust and debris in it - even in a room that you thought was clean. So I went from skeptical to an advocate of these things, at least for my use. I run it several times each week, alternating the floor areas. I guess I'm gaining on it all as the amount of dust is a little less each time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have animals, you may want to google the "poopolalypse" story

if that robotic marvel hits a bit of scat, or cat vomit, it will literally smear it all over every surface of your house. and if the scat is runny, the little brushes fling it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think such a thing would force me to get out the shotgun and have some fun. :laugh:

aspeck

Staff member
I bought my wife one for Christmas (it was on the clearance rack at Sam's Club for 1/2 price). Wife registered her iRobot and named it Fred. I think she loves Fred more than me now! Fred works every day while we are away ... we just need to remember to "Fred-proof" the house before we leave in the morning. Every evening when we get home we hunt for Fred because he doesn't always make it back to his docking station to recharge. Fred is always full of dog hair and dust and dirt. And did I mention my wife is happy? Happy wife, happy life! Best $189 I think I ever spent.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
if you have animals, you may want to google the "poopolalypse" story

if that robotic marvel hits a bit of scat, or cat vomit, it will literally smear it all over every surface of your house. and if the scat is runny, the little brushes fling it.

If my wife's pet treated our home like a litter box something or someone has to go. Most likely me. I said a good one yesterday. I said I would take a bullet for my wife but wouldn't be surprised if it was her that pulled the trigger.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If my wife's pet treated our home like a litter box something or someone has to go. Most likely me. I said a good one yesterday. I said I would take a bullet for my wife but wouldn't be surprised if it was her that pulled the trigger.

Google the article, read it. Dog was ill, it happens

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Son bought one for us about 4 yrs ago,
great at first,
Clear away all the life junk first, set it up and off to work we'd go...
until Buddy the fearless, fiesty ( though not quite right in the head ) Jack Russell got bored one day and fought the trespasser,

bits and pieces all over the joint, downstairs as well

bad Buddy.

Last edited:

sam60

Captain
Since this thread wandered a bit, I'll add. We had a cat that always went outside, no litter box. I'm not a big cat fan but he was cool. We moved from Phoenix back to Omaha for a short time and he alerted at the door to let him out. He saw 2' of snow and turned around and sat on the toilet. He did that for the rest of his life...we had to flush.

82rude

Rear Admiral
sam60 be thankful you didn't have to wipe,lol.Me id like the husky lawn cutting robot but unless they have 4wd it would be a wash on my lawn.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
We have the Shark Ion Robot which was also a gift. It works pretty good for in-between jobs with the real vacuum. It's really not so much of a vacuum, more of a sweeper. But it does do a good job. It has two wisk type brushes the feed the debris in towards the long brush underneath. It's designed well where all the parts that regularly need cleaning snap off easily. That includes the two wisk brushes and the long beater bar type brush underneath. It even works with an app by WI-fi. Pretty cool. It seems to have two cleaning phases. First it goes all over in a back and forth motion. Then it hungs the perimeter.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Who needs an app? The Admiral had a voice controlled vacuum.

GA , I guess that voice controlled vac was you ... I’ll bet she had a VC washing machine, dish washer , lawn mower , and many other appliances ... :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Instead of Alexa, Siri or Google, the wake up command was Honey. :smile:

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had one of those robot vacs for a while. But apparently I did not clean it out often enough to suit it. So one day when I forgot to lock the door, it left and went to a neighbor's house. Story of my life ;-)