Hey Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
to all newbies. dont take this as being negative, however we see this daily

We are here to help....however please help us help you

we know you bought a boat without advice and you come here and yell help. slow down and provide details

start with a search. your topic has been covered multiple times. there has been a similar issue with a resolution in the past 4 weeks..... use the search function.

we will give you advice, we will give you guidance, we will push you to do your own research and trouble shooting and to look for the answers yourself. we will not spoon feed you, you are not toddlers.

only one post will suffice, only one is needed. more than one on the same topic will be flagged. you are not helping your cause by posting multiple times

this is not face tube. dont PM us, use the forums

please say more than help.... we need to know what you are working on, what the problem is and most importantly use punctuation.

please when you buy a new to you boat. first thing to do is all the maintenance on the boat, motor and trailer. dont even think of asking for help until you have done that. that includes impellers, fuel system maintenance, engine oil changes, gear oil changes, plug and wire changes, battery testing, battery cable connection cleaning, testing the alternator and starter, trailer bearing and seal service, buffing and waxing your boat, cleaning your boat and applying all the protectants applicable to your boat. this is the stuff you do between the time you pay for the new to you boat and you splash the new to you boat. dont get so prematurely excited and simply drop in the water and hope for the best.

when you say I have a 3.0 or 5.7, keep in mind over the past 50 years there have been many dozens of varieties of your exact motor. include year, type of induction, and serial number. and yes, there have been more than 15 incarnations of the 3.0 over the past 50 years

if you have an over heat and did not start with a new impeller.....start there. if you did not back flush the missing pieces, do so.

if you boat a boat without a title, good luck most of us would have warned you prior

if your boat is bigger than your car, get a truck

boating is expensive, one of the most expensive hobbies in the world, if you cant afford the hobby, take up racing (its actually cheaper)

Thanks in advance......Scott

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
to all newbies. dont take this as being negative, however we see this daily

We are here to help....however please help us help you

we know you bought a boat without advice and you come here and yell help. slow down and provide details

start with a search. your topic has been covered multiple times. there has been a similar issue with a resolution in the past 4 weeks..... use the search function.

we will give you advice, we will give you guidance, we will push you to do your own research and trouble shooting and to look for the answers yourself. we will not spoon feed you, you are not toddlers.

only one post will suffice, only one is needed. more than one on the same topic will be flagged. you are not helping your cause by posting multiple times

this is not face tube. dont PM us, use the forums

please say more than help.... we need to know what you are working on, what the problem is and most importantly use punctuation.

please when you buy a new to you boat. first thing to do is all the maintenance on the boat, motor and trailer. dont even think of asking for help until you have done that. that includes impellers, fuel system maintenance, engine oil changes, gear oil changes, plug and wire changes, battery testing, battery cable connection cleaning, testing the alternator and starter, trailer bearing and seal service, buffing and waxing your boat, cleaning your boat and applying all the protectants applicable to your boat. this is the stuff you do between the time you pay for the new to you boat and you splash the new to you boat. dont get so prematurely excited and simply drop in the water and hope for the best.

when you say I have a 3.0 or 5.7, keep in mind over the past 50 years there have been many dozens of varieties of your exact motor. include year, type of induction, and serial number. and yes, there have been more than 15 incarnations of the 3.0 over the past 50 years

if you have an over heat and did not start with a new impeller.....start there. if you did not back flush the missing pieces, do so.

if you boat a boat without a title, good luck most of us would have warned you prior

if your boat is bigger than your car, get a truck

boating is expensive, one of the most expensive hobbies in the world, if you cant afford the hobby, take up racing (its actually cheaper)

Thanks in advance......Scott

:eek:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
" I just bought a 1978 Acme, ABC, 123. And can't find any info on it, help"

I Google 1978 Acme ABC 123 and get 21,000 hits in 2.3 seconds. That drives me nuts. Some can't be bothered to Google for themselves.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
so tell us how you really feel. :D

that would be sensored....

just that there were multiple threads in the past few days......i just bought this boat and dropped it in the water and its now overheated ...help.

I keep wanting to post the definition of ask-hole on specific threads.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It seems to be a common situation on many of the forums I participate in, including a couple of my own. One gun forum I belong to, I don't think there has been a new question asked for over a year now and virtually ever single new person on there asks the same questions that were just asked and answered last week. It has become so redundant that all I can do is laugh at them.

:facepalm:

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
that would be sensored....

just that there were multiple threads in the past few days......i just bought this boat and dropped it in the water and its now overheated ...help.

I keep wanting to post the definition of ask-hole on specific threads.....

LOL yeah I had a pretty good idea what brought about your initial post

JoLin

Vice Admiral
In fairness, the forum search function doesn't always yield what you're looking for. Trying to find a thread related to a specific problem, using just a couple of keywords, can be frustrating. I've been here for 11 years and my success rate is pretty dismal.

My personal beef is with posters who use all caps (or all lower case), no punctuation, a million misspellings... and post a thousand-word essay. I usually give up after the first sentence- if I can figure out where the first sentence ends.

:facepalm:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Interesting perspective. I am a website regular at a few other sites. I love to bow hunt for deer on my property and have been fortunate to shoot some nice bucks. Does not make me an expert but I live where I hunt I observe deer when ever I am at home. I have enough pictures of deer to recognize the does in the herd I watch them I feed them. Peoples beliefs about deer hunting border on naive to foolishness. Some people think I am a jerk for pointing out outright falsehoods. Most long time posters are passionate and have experience it is our burden to teach people to ask smarter questions.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have a problem with some of the responses too. 3 paragraphs of info and never answer the OP's question. I am guilty of it myself.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
They say there are no stupid questions. I'm not to sure of that. Just today there is a post on General Boat topics. Basically a cheap priced 18' 1989 Bayliner Cuddy for sale cheap, newbie to boating and want's to know if he can run the boat in the Ocean.Everyone tells him not a good idea, so he asks "How about Cape Cod Bay?" It's as big or almost as big as Lake Erie. No stupid questions? I'm not sure anymore after being on iboats for a while.

I am also a member of several other forums. On all the fishing forums a guy or gal joins and his very first post is asking for specific locations and best tackle for bodies of water to catch their quarry. It is obvious that he or she never read the rules of the forums which discourages this exact thing, even PM's. What do you want Pal, Longitude and Latitude? They post back
"Sure thanks that will help."

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
at least he asked.... pretty sure my comment on the 30 year old bayliner needing to be checked for rot went over his head.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Can't edit above post. Scott ask the admins to post this on the Boat Topics and Questions as a sticky, it would be helpful. You are preaching to the choir as it has been pointed out.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Can't edit above post. Scott ask the admins to post this on the Boat Topics and Questions as a sticky, it would be helpful. You are preaching to the choir as it has been pointed out.

even if the mods made it a sticky and the requirement to join meant they need to read it.....they wouldn't read it... they dont read the rules now when they click agree

some dont even know what a sticky is

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No one reads stickies. No one reads FAQs. No one reads TOS's.

Might as well ask them to read the rules.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No one reads stickies. No one reads FAQs. No one reads TOS's.

Might as well ask them to read the rules.

I read the FAQ's and Stickies mainly because I'm not a millennial and I believe that knowledge is the key to success.

you have me on TOS....what is TOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.