Craig's list scam?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I recently listed a boat on craigs, not a high value deal but still I have concerns. I listed a 1957 Alumacraft flying D for $650 there was a buyer in contact wishing 10 minutes of the posting being up. The guy also agreed to buy a Mercury Mark 55 that is in pieces for an additional $200 without seeing photos of it just general information. The buyer is sending a MO he mentioned that the MO would include shipping costs that will need to be paid to the shipper when the boat is picked up. I stated that there would be no arrangements made till the MO clears my bank. I don't have a good feeling, am I being paranoid?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't have a good feeling, am I being paranoid?

Yes and rightly so. Of course when you get the MO and find out it's for far more than the cost of the boat, motor pieces and shipping, expect a message to return the excessive over payment.

When you get the MO, mark the envelope Return To Sender, No Longer At This Address and drop it in the mail without opening. If the "buyer" is local, tell him local pick up only. If not local, tell him you changed your mind.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Yeah I thought a guy that would have a shipper of boats available and set up would have an account set up. Plus it happened so fast and taking the motor, I may just string the scammer along and delay it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think you checked your pMs before i finished sending 1 just now......

Having bought (or agreed to buy) several boats more then 1000mi away, I have done similarly paying via paypal or MO. But I always agree to pick the boat up in person and provided plenty of info so the seller knew I was legit and an actual buyer.....

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I do feel bad about selling the project but good return on the investment, plus a fishing boat is in order a good reliable boat and motor vs vintage. My wife could not believe somebody would buy that old piece of tin for $650.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sounds fishy....every boat/motor/car/truck i have sold on CL was picked up and loaded by the buyer(s)

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I would have to buy another boat to complete the restoration just to get the back handles cheapest donor is $400 9 hours away.

jbcurt00

Staff member
The Aqua-matic, or whatever they call it, transom w the corner 'loop' handles? Yep, Alumacraft specific....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I would not have even responded, these scams are rampant on craigslist and I normally get several of them before I find a legitimate buyer.

Maclin

Admiral
The money order would be for some even amount and way over the purchase price, they would want you to deposit it and get cash back to them or the "shipper" somehow, who may not even get around to picking up the boat. Then a month or so later your bank disallows the money order deposit and debits it out of your account.

I had a person text me a picture of the money they had to buy the boat, all $100's, wanted me to take it off the market right then. It can get kinda nuts.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The money order would be for some even amount and way over the purchase price, they would want you to deposit it and get cash back to them or the "shipper" somehow, who may not even get around to picking up the boat. Then a month or so later your bank disallows the money order deposit and debits it out of your account.

I had a person text me a picture of the money they had to buy the boat, all $100's, wanted me to take it off the market right then. It can get kinda nuts.

For me, the 1st person to put cash in hand wins and I tell them that up front. If I get a phone number to call and another buyer shows up, I'll call and tell them to turn around. The ad stays up until money is in my hand and isn't removed based on promises.

Maclin

Admiral
I made a video of a short run on the lake the same day I put the last boat I sold on Craigslist and other media. People were calling and making appointments, and I had put in the ads that I was not going to sell it sight unseen to anyone without a lake trial and was going to do that the next weekend, this was on a Monday. One caller said he could not make it until then to look at it, I said ok, and that I had some others interested. I ended up selling it on Tuesday to the 3rd looker, he saw it and we started it up, and he bought it based on the video. I really could not keep him from taking it, kinda funny but I knew it was a good boat and would do his family right. I sent texts or emails to some 16 parties telling them it was sold. The one guy was really angry, saying I had promised it to him, THAT was nuts, almost scary. Most thanked me and were just disappointed 'cause it was a pretty neat little boat.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I texted the buyer this evening explaining I was going to the DMV in the morning to do an official bill of sale all I needed is a name and an address to facilitate easy title transfer to another state, crickets nothing back.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The corner pieces are the only pieces I need to convince me to keep the boat. I have checked and measured the corner pieces on my 1954 Deep C are different than the 1957 Flying D so casting those is out of the question. I need insert corners with a 4-1/2" drop to the transom board.

Attachments

• photo282431.jpg
    photo282431.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0

DeepCMark58A

Commander
So I got the check not a MO as promised, it was for $2500 not the purchase price of $850.00 The check mailed from a seed company in Oxnard CA and the check was from Jackson Parish Correctional Center in Ruston, LA in the memo it said reimbursement. Going to go postal on it. I notified the postal inspector via e-mail.

Last edited: