Weight Limit Maxxed out! How to keep increasing wake size...

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been reading these forums for the majority of the day now.
Now, I am VERY new to the site (Just registered today), and looking for a truly educated response to my questions (I feel like I should get it easily here).
As I read in a post before, boats all have "fingerprints" (Every Boat is different). And, I have yet to truly have someone ask the same questions I am looking into, with the same scenario as myself.

I am simply looking to increase wake size without adding weight (I am a intermediate wakeboarder with a novice boat/bank account).
I have a 16.5' Glassport Bowrider w/ a Merc Cruiser 3.0L I/O. I like to call myself a novice at boat structure and marine motors.
My max weight limit is 900 lbs. (Or so it says). So, fat sacks or ten friends is simply out of the question. After me, three other people, and gear; we are pushing 750 lbs. (easily).
Right now, I know BIG AIR is out of the question (My cousin has a '06 Malibu Wakesetter that I ride behind sometimes. HUGE DIFFERENCE!), but I still feel like my boat could have a lot more potential.
I have been trying to do as much research as possible (Even looked in the fact that Water Depth plays a role in wake formation, and changed my passes to be slightly deeper in the lake {10-12ft.})

I have no problem at all planing the boat to get riders up.
Keeping speed is simple enough (I ride around 18-22 MPH).
But, the wake size is just not the best (Or even great).

(1) Would the Smart Tabs help in this situation? I understand they help the boat plane better. But, in theory couldn't I trim up while in motion to push the bow down futher in the water (thus creating the bigger wake)?
(2) And, second, would the Smart Tabs (Not the Smart Tabs II) system work for me, since they are auto adjusting?
(3) If that is illogical, suggestions?

I guess I really don't know where to go with these questions.
Or, if these are even the right questions to ask.
I was looking in all of the different sections of this site.

Basically, wakeboarding is a very expensive hobby, and I have a very "cheap" wife when it comes to boats and toys, so I am looking for the best alternative to a new boat.

Last edited:

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Weight Limit Maxxed out! How to keep increasing wake size...

Make sure you have max weight on board, and try putting ALL your weight to the bow (BOTH of your spotters, a heavy cooler, anchor, etc).

You might be very surprised how putting all weight in the bow improves your wake. This is conter-intuitive, but it works very well for the two small I/O's I use for boarding. With some experimentation, I was surprised to learn that making the back of the boat plow deep (trimming up like you said) usually makes for a lousy wake that washes out compared to having the bow dig deep....which creates a nice smooth roller and an excellent ramp...less strain on the drivetrain as well.

And it sounds to me like you have the capacity to handle a 150 pound fat sac. So try that....again up front. Or maybe fill a couple big coolers with water and weigh them to approach your 150 pound excess capacity for a temporary attempt, before making the investment in a proper sac.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanx for the quick reply. I will try looking into it.

I knew I had some weight missing (I was counting myself when riding, even though I am in the water).

Basically, my usual riding crew is myself (Can't count my weight since I am being pulled by the boat), a good friend of mine (185 lbs.), My wife (150 lbs.), and his wife (130 lbs.)....

My wife drives the boat (putting 150 in the center starboard of the boat). He usually sits Port stern, His wife usually sits Starboard stern. Giving 185 on the Port side and 280 on the Starboard side.
If I get the following setup...
Launch Pad Link 540 Single Uber Pump Combo

Then I can re-adjust him on the Starboard side behind my wife (335 lbs starboard stern). And, then Fat Sac on the Port Stern with the same essential weight. Finally, putting my friend's wife up in the Center of the Bow, helping the boat plane out a bit. Does that sound slightly logical?

Trying to make sure I am reading this properly.
I still feel like I am short some weight. Well, I guess not. That is essentailly 850 Lbs. between all that. I guess, I could get one of the 100 lb bags and place it right against the Engine cover.

Last edited:

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

I only read the title and the boat size -
It's time to face reality. You're not going to get any real wake to speak of from a 16.5' (1500 lb?) boat. There are way to many laws of physics working against you.
I've boarded behind a jet ski, a 16' glassmaster OB, a 18' Maxum, a 19.5' Sunbird, a 20' regal, a Moomba Mobius, a Tige 21V.
Big boats have big wakes, little boats have little wakes. That's just how it works.
"Wake boats" have beautiful, huge, wide, rampy, 'give you wings' kind of wakes.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I knew I wasn't going to produce the same kind of wake that a Tige or Moomba would, but I was just asking what that best way to maximize performance with what I have available.
Everything I stated in my original post said this...
So, yeah... Thanx for replying before reading the whole post

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

I meant no offense.
The point was I didn't need to know all the gobbly gook to know the answer. Three or four friends on board will give you about all the wake you're going to get. Beyond that you can spend all the time and energy you want for an insignificant, if any improvement.
I had a similar experience with our old 16' Glassmaster/Evinrude OB. There came a point (and in hindsight that point was very early in the experimentation) that beyond the rider and 3 adults on board there just wasn't much wake enhancement to be done. But I did learn a tantrum with just a 3' ski pole :)

My advice would be start saving, and bumming rides on the wakesetter whenever you can. A decent 20 footer will make a world of difference and older ones that have been taken care of aren't that expensive.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a few pics of a boat the same hull as mine.

boat3_171.jpg

repo1.jpg

This guys is the full 17' boat (My registartion reads 17' but I measured otherwise) with the 3.8L instead of the 3.0.
But, its the same exact boat otherwise.

This is a pitcure of his wake with 600 lbs. ballast and 850 lbs. in people.
dscf1063_880.jpg

My wake has never looked anything like that, and now that I know this guy weighted his down so much, I will do some weight testing to see if I can't get a little more out of it.
Also, states on wakeboarder.com that he simply has to ride at a shorter length.
So, its just another thing that I also need to look into.

I haven't had this boat long (Only put about 30 hours on this past summer), so I still have quite a bit of testing to keep doing. Was just noticing some major issues from the get go.

Last edited:

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also...
I know you have a little more experience behind various boats then me.
And all of your comments are helping (Althought not extremely tactful:cool:).
And yeah, I probably would be spending a lot of wasted money on getting extreme modifications for this boat.
I have been looking at others, but getting my wife to let me put up $10k for a decent boat.... :(
Umm... thats a funny joke...:D

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class

we spent 3800 on our '89 19.5' 4.3L -- that was in '03.
It was essentially lake ready. We recovered some seats and put in some new carpet.

FLWakeRider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know what really grinds my gears...
I looked for probably 2-3 weeks for boats Found nothing in my price range (Within 100 miles of my house). I broadened the search to 250 miles and this one fell in my lap.
93604486_1thumb_550x410.jpg

1984 Correct Craft Ski Nautique AIR
I already want to drool a little.
Going to inquire more about later on today by E-mailing the seller.
It about 3-1/2hr drive from my house, so looks like I might not go out on the lake this weekend.

Guy wants $3,000 for it.
Specs right now look like this..
  • Built in 425 lb ballast tank in the rear
  • Tower mount spotter mirror
  • Perfect Pass system (ver 6.5ng)