Tow bowrider and rowboat on single trailer?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all, I have an 19' Larson bowrider I/O on a single axle trailer towed behind a Ford F150.

I am taking a trip to Canada in the late Spring and in addition to the Larson, I need to get a 14' Sea Nymph v-hull aluminum boat (a rowboat, essentially) up to Canada as well. (The Larson will be coming back with me, the aluminum boat will not.) It's about a 16 hour drive up there.

Is it possible/advisable to stack the aluminum boat on my bowrider (with appropriate tie-downs and padding between boats)? Or is there some other way to get both boats up there on the same trip?

Thanks for any ideas!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tow bowrider and rowboat on single trailer?

a set of ladder racks would let you haul the 14'er upside down on the truck

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I've looked at some, but I was hoping to avoid having to buy a ladder rack for a one-way trip. I didn't see any ladder racks for less than about $300, and if I can avoid the extra expense, I'd like to. (We just bought the bowrider, so we're not rolling in $$....)

If that's the only option, I might have to consider it, but I thought I'd see about other possibilities...

Thanks for the idea!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well I'm fairly confident that I could build a wooden rack to haul the lil boat on/in the bigger one... It would be darn near impossible to tell someone else how to do so tho...... so to answer your question:

recommended? no

possible? probably

It COULD be a very risky thing to try and if you mess it up you could be out far more than $300

I'd say buy the racks used on C/L and sell em when you get back home.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

well I'm fairly confident that I could build a wooden rack to haul the lil boat on/in the bigger one... It would be darn near impossible to tell someone else how to do so tho...... so to answer your question:

recommended? no

possible? probably

It COULD be a very risky thing to try and if you mess it up you could be out far more than $300

I'd say buy the racks used on C/L and sell em when you get back home.

Well, that's actually a pretty good point. I hadn't thought of finding a used rack, but that would certainly help in the cost department. I'm pretty handy at building things, but a rack would certainly be easier.

Thanks!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

you COULD also build the rack for the back of the truck... A couple 4x4's a few 2x4's and some carriage bolts.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Since the bow rider is on a single axle trailer, my guess is that the boat, trailer, and gear are close to the maximum rating of that axle. adding the 14' sea nymph on top of that would not only put its dead weight on the boat, having it upside down while going down the highway will also put aerodynamic load on the trailer axle.

If you must absolutely haul both of them with one vehicle, I also recommend building a rack for the bed of your truck with 4x4's and 2x4 bracing. make sure its strong though. I dont know the weight of the sea nymph, however would guess a good 400#. double that for wind loading at 70mph. I would hate to read about the wind catching the sea nymph, tearing it loose from the truck and putting it thru your new bowrider.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Since the bow rider is on a single axle trailer, my guess is that the boat, trailer, and gear are close to the maximum rating of that axle. adding the 14' sea nymph on top of that would not only put its dead weight on the boat, having it upside down while going down the highway will also put aerodynamic load on the trailer axle.

If you must absolutely haul both of them with one vehicle, I also recommend building a rack for the bed of your truck with 4x4's and 2x4 bracing. make sure its strong though. I dont know the weight of the sea nymph, however would guess a good 400#. double that for wind loading at 70mph. I would hate to read about the wind catching the sea nymph, tearing it loose from the truck and putting it thru your new bowrider.

Hmm... bowrider (without fuel or gear) is rated about 2235 pounds, the 14' boat is about 220 (it's the kind that's just a hull and bench seats), plus any gear, fuel, etc. in the big boat... not to mention the drag from aerodynamics like you suggest... I better research what the trailer is rated for.

I suspect I'm going to be building/buying a rack for the truck.

Thanks for all the good ideas!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think putting it upside down on the other boat might improve aerodynamics. I'd do it, if ladder racks don't work out, and you aren't facing high winds.

On the truck, consider a set of roof racks plus one tall frame in the back.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... For $20.00 in 2x4s, 'n a few bolts, I'd build a temporary rack in the truck's bed.....

You can use it as kindling when ya get where yer goin'...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Ok, some more info: the trailer is a Prestige single axle, with a GVWR of 3700.

The empty bowrider is about 2235#, the 14'er is about 220# and the empty trailer is about 700#, for a total of 3155 or about 85% of the GVWR. And that doesn't include boat fuel, gear, and any other goodies I might want to stick in the boat.

I don't think going beyond 85% or so of the rated trailer capacity is wise, so I guess I better be thinking about ladder racks. Am I missing anything?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think you have to also look at overall weight of the whole rig-moving 220# to the vehicle is still 220#. Not a deal-breaker but a factor for the trip (look at the tow vehicle's capacity)

I wouldn't worry about the weight myself. You can always have the boat tank empty for the ride and save some weight that way. That 220 is spread out over the whole boat; problems are more likely if you had 220# concentrated somewhere. When the wind gets under it, it may give you some lift!

A lot depends on your road, too. Straight flat highway is not much of an issue WRT weight. it's bumps, hills, and stop and go traffic where it matters most.

Bondo

Staff member

I think you have to also look at overall weight of the whole rig-moving 220# to the vehicle is still 220#. Not a deal-breaker but a factor for the trip (look at the tow vehicle's capacity)

I wouldn't worry about the weight myself. You can always have the boat tank empty for the ride and save some weight that way. That 220 is spread out over the whole boat; problems are more likely if you had 220# concentrated somewhere. When the wind gets under it, it may give you some lift!

A lot depends on your road, too. Straight flat highway is not much of an issue WRT weight. it's bumps, hills, and stop and go traffic where it matters most.

Ayuh,... I agree with yer point, But....
I'd be buying the Gasoline, Before crossin' the border...

Gas is expensive here, it's totally Insane on the other side of that border though....

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the boat only has a full tank of fuel and it's battery it should be ok to piggyback, don't load lots of gear in the boat, load the bed of the truck with the boat odds and ends and fishing gear so the trailer isn't overloaded. Also, fill up before you hit the border, our far north is infamous for expensive gas. It's gotta be near 1.40 per litre. Translate that to a per gallon price and you will feel ill.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may be wrong but i think UHaul hire ladder racks.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would try for the truck bed rack of some sort, if something went wrong you could be looking at alot of $ damage to the Larson. just a windshield is $1000.00 for that boat IF you can find one. Unless you could remove some seating in the larson and get the alum more down inside it some how, the racks sure seem to be the safest and least potential for a major event happening. Good luck however you proceed.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd weigh your Larson and trailer with the boat full of fuel and gear. I'll bet you're almost overloaded now. I had a 20' Larson 206sei on a single axle trailer. I bought it used that way and pulled it for a few years until the trailer frame broke. I then weighed it and it was 4,200 pounds. The trailer was rated for 3,750. I bought a tandem axle trailer to replace it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

It's been a while, but I finished my rack to carry the boat and I thought I'd post some pictures to see what you think.
2012-04-21_17-13-51_275.jpg2012-04-21_17-14-05_704.jpg2012-04-21_17-14-17_49.jpg2012-04-21_17-14-39_84a.jpg2012-04-21_17-14-45_698.jpg

I took it out for an in-town road test yesterday (no highway speeds yet) and it seemed very solid, with no swaying or rocking. I am probably going to add some supports for the part that cantilevers over the cab by bolting on some 2x4 at a 45 degree angle to the front set up uprights.

I do have another question: how important is it to tie down the bow to the front of the truck? A neighbor thought I should run straps from the bow to the tow hooks under the front bumper. I would like to avoid the risk of damaging the hood and grill by running straps over them. What do you think? Would that add much?

Thanks!

oldjeep

Admiral

If it were me I wouldn't worry about a strap to the front - but what I would do is to push the whole boat back a couple feet so that the majority of the weight wants to stay right above the bed rather than the cantelievered section. I wouldn't have even bothered with the section you built over the cab - its just extra weight and I'd be concerned that when the wind starts pushing that boat down that those 2x4s are going to flex and rub the cab roof.

One last happy thought - make sure to get some bigger straps, those look like 500lb rating at the most - not something I'd trust with a heavy boat that has wind acting on it.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you do straps to the bumper put some foam pipe insulation on the strap where it hits the hood. Also use a strap bigger then the 1" wide ones you have there.