Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Just find out at the boat ramp by a policeman, Texas state law is, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS! If you don't, they will give you a ticket.
    Paddle faster Bubba, I think I hear banjos getting louder and closer!!!

Re: Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

I always thought that was the only way to hook them up, it is at least the only way that makes sense, the crossed chains are there to catch the trailer tongue if it comes loose.
    http://www.facebook.com/iloveboating

2004 Sea Ray 185 Sport, 4.3L,190, Alpha
    1994 GMC 4X4 1500, 5.7L

Comment

Should be the law everywhere. I'm always amazed when someone watches me cross the chains at hook up and asks why? Usually guys who should know. Oh well. Fightin' the good fight.
      Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
      21' Suntracker(for my girls), 16' Polarkraft MV w/ 25 HP Merc(for me), 14' Odyssey bucket raft, 16' Purple Mad River Explorer; vice-admiral's boat, but she lets me use it as long as I don't forget it's hers. Esquif Vertige

Comment

If you take a quick look at the geometry, crossed chains also allow the chains to be shorter (with better control) without binding when turning.

Comment

Do you think you should twist them together, too? A guy at the U-haul place recently did that when I rented a trailer; as long as it's not too tight to turn, seems to be a good idea.
          I have always crossed them once, too, but learned (the hard way, I'll confess) that the chains were too long to catch the trailer tongue and hold it up to a good height. It should be obvious, although folks don't think it through, that if the tongue is down to the pavement and jams in a pothole or something, you are truly screwed.
          A man of constant boat tinkering.

Comment

Agree with Jmartin (as usual)....

Dad has tought me to cross/twist chains as much as you can ever since I've helped him hook up the trailers. Now I do it on all of my own trailers, even replaced the trailer that came with cables with a chain so I can cross them nicely.
            1987 Four Winns 190 Horizon
            150hp Merc Black Max

Boating passes the time until SNOW!!!

Comment

Another point...... hooks go through hitch plate from top down or rear forward.... LOTS of people hook em backwards thinking they are more secure.... I always win that debate buy hooking them both ways and shaking the chains..... I can make the backwards ones fall out but not the others

yes cross but no don't twist..... it reduces their strength ALOT... if they are too long CUT them or install a split link to make a loop.... generally the chains won't hold the tongue up off the road even if they are crossed.... If it hits a pothole it will gouge the road and bend some steel..... If your trailer comes unhooked you have already screwed up.... the chains are a last ditch effort to save lives.... they aren't there to keep your equipment from being damaged.... The boat and trailer may destroy itself and the back of your tow vehicle.. It may swerve back and forth very violently..... If you have break away brakes make sure you have the trip cable short enough and hooked up.
              Kevin

Originally posted by Tinnie
              But, where are the reevets?
              1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
              1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
              1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
              90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
              Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
              sigpic

Comment

Is the law specific to chains or does it also cover heavy duty coiled cables?

Comment

Can someone post a pic of this so I know what the heck you guys are talking about?

Comment

PIC

PIC

Southern, NJ, USA

Currently Boatless
                    Date an I/O, but marry an outboard!

Comment

I have cables with the closing D clamps I posted above and I cross 'em.
                      Southern, NJ, USA

Currently Boatless
                      Date an I/O, but marry an outboard!

Comment

On my trailer it would matter if I crossed the chains.
                        Both ends of the chain are bolted on top of each other.
                        1962 Glastron V-142 Skiflite Basic Rebuild
                        It's not a Chris Craft, it's a Buzz Craft.

Comment

Originally posted by nlain View Post
                          I always thought that was the only way to hook them up......

Ditto...growing up with a father owning a lawn biz..i learned that was the only/best way and it stuck with me...BUT didn't realize that it was ever actually made a law in some states...I must check FL then for kicks
                          ~AJ~
                          Current Crestliner Restoration Project

I'd love to visit iboats on my iPhone

Comment

I have always crossed or twisted the chains.. Not just to catch the trailer if it comes off.. I always had to or they would drag the ground...

Comment

I still get amazed at how many trailers I see at the launch without any chains at all on the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                              X