How fast do you tow?

Gregk

Seaman
Re: How fast do you tow?

It ticks me of when people seem to think it's a blow to their manhood to be passed.

Oh for sure. I've had guys blow their horns at me for passing them and I'm like, WTF!!!??? You go fast as you want and I'll go fast as I want....maybe if you could learn how to use your cruze control so that you could hold a steady speed, i wouldn't be passing you.....dickweed!!!

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cruise control...you mean that lever on the side of the blinker? It's not like you need to do 15 steps to use it, it has on/off/set. Isn't it a shame that so many people get confused by on/off/set?

If someone is annoyed that I'm going 55ish, I would much rather they pass than drive ten feet off my butt. I'm of the mindset that I'll get there a few minutes later rather than take any kind of risk getting into a wreck or blowing a tire or getting a big fat ticket.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Good points made above, including about how crappy and dangerous a lot of trailer tires really are.

For experienced, skilled, and informed drivers, I'd recommend driving at whatever speed they feel comfortable at, as long as they aren't creating a hazard for themselves or others. I've been driving for 45 years, most of that time with a Class 1A license (mainly hauling heavy equipment and aggregate). A lot depends on the trailer, the load, and road conditions. I'll drive 55 or 60 mph on two lane mountain roads, or even slower when the road, trailer, or load warrants it. Otherwise, let's keep the traffic flowing.

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No special towing speed limits in Missouri, so i usually tow at 5 to 10 over the posted speed limit. The old chevy doesn't mind one bit

rbh

Fleet Admiral

When I tow it is at or below the speed limit, I tow for the conditions and traffic, remembering beside's the truck, I have about 10.000 pounds worth of boat/trailer behind me that will need to stop!
Use at the minumum the two second rule to put space between you and the vehicle up front of you.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Use at the minumum the two second rule to put space between you and the vehicle up front of you.

They used to teach the two second rule. More recently, I've heard it referred to as the three second rule. And with anyone using a cell phone while driving, it should be the thirty second rule! Lately, cell phones seem to cause more accidents than driving a little too fast.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

They used to teach the two second rule. More recently, I've heard it referred to as the three second rule. And with anyone using a cell phone while driving, it should be the thirty second rule! Lately, cell phones seem to cause more accidents than driving a little too fast.

How did the TV commercial go??
"One and, two and",
now thats a safe driving distance.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

It does not matter what the posted speed limit is. ST tires are speed rated to 65 mph. Anything over 65 mph and you have exceeded your tires performance standards. Probably the reason why some people report tire problems as a rarity while others seem to have one tire failure after another

Yep... thats called a CYA rating. Any 14"+ tire is capable of 70-80 mph. ;)

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

So, how fast do you guys go while towing? The speed limit, under, or over? The speed limit in CA while towing is 55mph. I'd say about 85% of the time I go 55, but sometimes I go 60ish. What speed do you feel comfortable and safe at?

With my old boat (18 footer) I'd run 80 mph with no problems. I just bought the Hammer and I haven't inspected the brakes/bearings yet, so I'm staying right on the speed limit until I can verify the condition of the trailer.

Dave88LX

Seaman

65-70 MPH. I have an '07 Ram 2500 (Cummins, Megacab), towing a 20' cuddy cabin.

Also important is your tire pressure. Check those tire pressures!

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cruise control...you mean that lever on the side of the blinker? It's not like you need to do 15 steps to use it, it has on/off/set. Isn't it a shame that so many people get confused by on/off/set?

If someone is annoyed that I'm going 55ish, I would much rather they pass than drive ten feet off my butt. I'm of the mindset that I'll get there a few minutes later rather than take any kind of risk getting into a wreck or blowing a tire or getting a big fat ticket.

Cruise control??? They put that in trucks now? I've not yet had anything that new. I was headed home the other day with an 18' flat bed trailer behind my truck, with about 300 outboards and one 14' boat on it. The trailer and all attached was a CL buy. The trailer had 4.80x8 tires, was made of aluminum and had Wisconsin tags on it. I didn't go much over 40 with it in fear that it might come apart. It was a take it all or none deal, $100 for all sale. I no doubt made some serious enemies crossing the bridge at 35mph, but that's as fast I thought safe for that mess. The thing hadn't seen the light of day in years, the tires were small, and far too hard to get at to change if one blew up. I took my time, nice and slow, and it made it all the way home, about 130 miles total. It even had working lights on the the trailer. I can't count the number of drivers that waved a finger at me the whole way home. I took back roads the whole way, stayed off the main highway, yet still had people behind me screaming and honking horns the whole way. What's worse is those that'll tailgate a trailer full of stuff like that, I'd be afraid that a motor or something would fly free and hit my car, but they ride the bumper and won't pass. I pulled off the to the shoulder several times to let traffic pass but most would just stay in line and blow their horns.

The trailer was an all aluminum flat bed, with four telephone pole posts with four rails made of 2x12 pine, with four rows of old outboards down each. I was towing this with my my truck, an older 4 cylinder Ford Ranger. The trailer didn't feel heavy but my concern was with the tires and how hard they appeared to be to get too. There were two spares on the trailer but on a rainy day, I chose not to have to deal with that. What really governed my speed was the lack of visibility in the heavy rain, there were times I couldn't see 20' ahead yet cars blew by at high speed. If I couldn't see ahead, they most likely couldn't either.

The trip took me 4 hours up and back, I never felt what I was towing was too heavy or a problem to stop but I'd also not run 80mph with such a load, especially on secondary roads.

I paid good money for my truck, I gave $600 for it 8 years ago and it needs to last me another 20 or so years. I don't care to tear it up just because someone wants to go faster.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Whatever is safe for the conditions and how much gas I want to use on the journey.:eek::D

rrkyle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've asked a few truckers if I could draft them. Each one said, it was no problem for them, but smoky don't like it. So, no drafting.

By drafting i dont mean 2feet back nascar style. I usually sit about a truck length to a truck and a half back. Maybe a little closer if its a steady speed.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

By drafting i dont mean 2feet back nascar style. I usually sit about a truck length to a truck and a half back. Maybe a little closer if its a steady speed.

That is too close and is illegal... at highway speeds you are travelling about 100 feet per second. a semi truck and trailer is usually about 70 feet long or less..... 2 seconds would be 200 feet and 3 would be 300 that is 3-5 truck lengths..... at those distances you will not save fuel thus there is no gain

every so often I look at the mirrors and make a mental list of what vehicles are catching up from behind..... as they go by I 'delete' them from the list.... In this manner I maintain a knowledge of what vehicles I need to locate before making an emergency manuver..... Drivers who want to pace, draft, or otherwise follow make this more complex and cause a loss of precious seconds when/if an emergency comes up....

Don't follow.... pick your speed..... when you catch a driver in front of you pass when you safely can... when a driver catches you aid them in passing if you safely can..... If you find yourself bunching up with others consider a slight adjustment in speed to drift apart

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I tow slow. Sorry ... go around.

No way am I pulling a 6000 pound load 75 miles an hour with my Durango, even if it is a hemi :)

foodfisher

Captain

;)
That is too close and is illegal... at highway speeds you are travelling about 100 feet per second. a semi truck and trailer is usually about 70 feet long or less..... 2 seconds would be 200 feet and 3 would be 300 that is 3-5 truck lengths..... at those distances you will not save fuel thus there is no gain

every so often I look at the mirrors and make a mental list of what vehicles are catching up from behind..... as they go by I 'delete' them from the list.... In this manner I maintain a knowledge of what vehicles I need to locate before making an emergency manuver..... Drivers who want to pace, draft, or otherwise follow make this more complex and cause a loss of precious seconds when/if an emergency comes up....

Don't follow.... pick your speed..... when you catch a driver in front of you pass when you safely can... when a driver catches you aid them in passing if you safely can..... If you find yourself bunching up with others consider a slight adjustment in speed to drift apart
On my road trips, I'll bet I can pick you out and follow you through
the fog banks.;)

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep. Situational awareness is crucial for safety. It allows you to compensate for other drivers errors and ignorance.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tow slow. Sorry ... go around.

No way am I pulling a 6000 pound load 75 miles an hour with my Durango, even if it is a hemi :)

Very wise decision. You can PULL anything with a go-cart and sufficient HP. Control and stopping are the real limiting factors.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

;)
On my road trips, I'll bet I can pick you out and follow you through
the fog banks.;)

Probably not. It is highly unlikely you would find Smoke driving in those conditions.