sport jet 90

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: sport jet 90

LOL .. thanks but I have figured out a parts combination and modification that makes available parts work , another few weeks and I could be telling everyone to buy the conversion kit if what i came up with runs for at least 2 years.

khusson1

Seaman

Put a new stator on today. Rest of the parts should be here by tuesday. Hoping to have it all back together by the end of the weekend

khusson1

Seaman

Parts are here! Ride plate, intake grate, gasket, screws, impellar, wear ring, voltage regulator and all hardware! Im super excited to make this happen and its supposed to rain tomorrow :-(

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sweet! The worst part for me is knowing my boat is broken, regardless of taking it out or not...just the knowing I can't is what gets to me!

khusson1

Seaman

Funny part is: mine still ran. Battery wouldnt charge and i was lacking in speed but its gonna be alright soon :)

khusson1

Seaman

Just an update: got all my parts the other day and this morning, in the torrential rainfall we got here in central PA, I threw up a 13 x 13 canopy over the back half of the boat and got down to business. I put on the new voltage regulator... pretty simple. Changed out the coil pack on the #1 cylinder. Simple, too, but I did notice a design difference from old to new. The old one had a top magnet and a bottom one and each had half of the barrel part attatched so when you put them both on, the barrels touch in the middle. The new one, however, had a separate barrel (and it came with a replacement barrel which goes in between the top and bottom magnets. So OEM had a 2 piece magnet and the new one (from merc) has a 3 pc magnet.

I then moved on to removal of the nozzle, stator, wear ring, impellar, ride plate and grate. WOW was my wear ring jacked up!
2010-09-30_15-31-08_124.jpg

the picture does it no justice! It was at least 1/4" deep all the way around and the previous owner apparently took silicone caulk and coated the whole inside of the wear ring in an attempt of get a more tolerable clearance.

the impellar was pretty worn out too
2010-09-30_15-30-51_861.jpg

I replaced them both along with the stator oil, and readjusted and lubed everything on the rudder/nozzle assembly.

I pulled the ride plate and grate, too. Check this bad boy out!
2010-09-30_15-32-15_714.jpg

pretty chewed up! I scraped and sanded all surfaces down there because there was white caulk all over everything!! I put a new intake grate on and then opened the ride plate box to find out that it was a complete kit(plate, gasket, screws) so now I have a gasket and screws for a ride plate that I have to send back. I had to put vaseline on the gasket to get it to slide up in there.... it was tight! All back together now!

Tomoro I have to replace the drive lube and put the flywheel cover back on and then see if it all works. Probably wont get a chance to take her out tomoro but by the end of the weekend I should. Im just hoping it all works!

I only had one problem the whole time: I stripped out the head of one of the ride plate screws when i was trying to remove it. Nothing a good screw extractor couldnt handle :)

khusson1

Seaman

Just finished the boat..... for now. Drained and replaced the main drive lube. A little water somehow made it in there and SOME of the lube was milky, but not all of it. Id say the vast majority of it was good and dark green. Idk when it was changed last, so I replaced the fill/vent plug O rings and im gonna try to get it out a couple times and then change it again to see if theres any more water in it.

I also changed out all of the fuel recirc lines (the skinny ones) and I think I may have found my leak. Theres a couple fittings behind the bracket that the voltage reg and switchbox are attached to and one of the lines was split right @ the fitting.

I hooked up the flush kit and started her up. She runs :) She did before all the work, Im just glad to hear her purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

One question, though. Before I started it, I looked under the boat @ the ride plate/grate to see where ther water was coming out of. @ first, it made it all the way back to the end of the ride plate before it fell out and hit the ground but then it started dripping from a few places: fore, center between ride plate and grate(steady drip/stream). Either side between ride plate and grate (slower drips) and right @ the back of the ride plate. Something tells me this isnt normal, but, because theres no gasket between the intake grate and ride plate, they must not be too concerned about it.

And info would be greatly appreciated!

PM9

Seaman Apprentice

Interesting, the same spoke on my grate (screen inlet) has just broken off. Can I ask where you purchased your replacement grate and what was the model number?

I found 8202531 on the web but i'd like to confirm...

Regards,
Pat

khusson1

Seaman

Interesting, the same spoke on my grate (screen inlet) has just broken off. Can I ask where you purchased your replacement grate and what was the model number?

Regards,
Pat

PM sent

khusson1

Seaman

One question, though. Before I started it, I looked under the boat @ the ride plate/grate to see where ther water was coming out of. @ first, it made it all the way back to the end of the ride plate before it fell out and hit the ground but then it started dripping from a few places: fore, center between ride plate and grate(steady drip/stream). Either side between ride plate and grate (slower drips) and right @ the back of the ride plate. Something tells me this isnt normal, but, because theres no gasket between the intake grate and ride plate, they must not be too concerned about it.

And info would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone hav any input on this??^^^^^

Novicaine

Recruit

Regards,
Pat

I have a 1997 sportjet 90 with broken intake grate, and I can't find a replacement... on the mercury parts lists it is listed as obsolete or something. Could you post or PM me the info also?
Thanks!!

Novicaine

Recruit

Anyone hav any input on this??^^^^^

My 1997 Bass Tracker 90 also does that also ... but I also have issues (slow, lots of cavitating). It's getting better, with a new impeller and wear ring last summer I did hit 30mph on the GPS. Then I hit some rocks and now need a new grate/impeller/etc.

I always wondered also if it should be a watertight seal between the grate and inlet plate... wouldn't hurt to put some RTV in there.

Did you ever put your boat on the water after all the new parts? I'm curious what you found out....

khusson1

Seaman

Novicaine, my boat/motor is a 95 bass tracker/90hp merc SJ. Look that up for the grate PN. It def was not obsolete. Ive noticed that customer service @ at least 2 of the parts companies are very helpful.

I did get it on the water once. I adjusted the timing and set the idle a little still have a couple adjustments to make but all in all it runs ALOT better than before.

Novicaine

Recruit

Novicaine, my boat/motor is a 95 bass tracker/90hp merc SJ. Look that up for the grate PN. It def was not obsolete. Ive noticed that customer service @ at least 2 of the parts companies are very helpful.

Thanks, yeah, I just checked online and yours is a different partnumber and is still listed as available, mine is obsolete.

Yours - 820253 1 $132
Mine - 828906T $205 OBSOLETE

:(

khusson1

Seaman

Does urs look like mine? Id be happy to get exact measurements of mine. Something has to replace it