Buying 1994 Sea Rayder w/ Mecury Sport Jet 90

lilngineer

Cadet
I am looking into buying a 1994 Sea Rayder w/ a Mercury Sport Jet 90 as a repair project. The boat is in good shape, however the engine has been removed an diagnosed with a loose piston and a cracked block. Therefore, it needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

I am considering purchasing this boat as I have found another disassembled, used Sport Jet 90 at a dealer for $250. Are these engines difficult to rebuild? I am mechanically inclined and a degreed engineer so I am comfortable taking it on.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to inspect on the jet pump on this boat?

Can the prop/wear ring be inspected without much disassembly? Anything else I should be looking for?

The owner is looking for 1K as the hull/interior/trailer is in good condition. He also recently replaced the battery, impeller and throttle cable. Is this a fair price?

Any help/tips you can provide are appreciated!

backwater dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Buying 1994 Sea Rayder w/ Mecury Sport Jet 90

Those boats bring about 3-4000 in ok shape----I just rebuilt the whole impeller section in mine--you can spend 500 + easy---good news are parts are available and cheap--I dont think they are hard to rebuild--it's a force outboard block---good luck

jpjones100

Recruit

I am looking into buying a 1994 Sea Rayder w/ a Mercury Sport Jet 90 as a repair project. The boat is in good shape, however the engine has been removed an diagnosed with a loose piston and a cracked block. Therefore, it needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

I am considering purchasing this boat as I have found another disassembled, used Sport Jet 90 at a dealer for $250. Are these engines difficult to rebuild? I am mechanically inclined and a degreed engineer so I am comfortable taking it on.

Can the prop/wear ring be inspected without much disassembly? Anything else I should be looking for?

The owner is looking for 1K as the hull/interior/trailer is in good condition. He also recently replaced the battery, impeller and throttle cable. Is this a fair price?

I can not help you, but you may be able to help me. I lost my ride plate in the lake am looking for a replacement for a searay sea rayder sport 90 like yours. From your discussion above, you may have an extra. Would you part with one. e-mail me directly at jpjones100@wowway.com. Thanks

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nothing out of the ordinary to rebuild an SJ, its basic 2 stroke bolted to the pump. Pistons are available oversized-the $250 engine needs a rebuild? Does it have a red stator?

Impellor for damage, wear ring for wear ;>)

From under the boat you can look through the intake and view the impellor & wear ring for obvious damage, the ride plate gasket & ride plate itself (bent) are other common source of problems.
Remove reverser bucket, nozzle and pump stator to thoroughly insect wear ring and impellor-check clearance with feeler gauge. Not difficult, 10 minutes with a ratchet and parts remove straight back from stern.

Sounds fair, impellor is $'s

Wear ring is aluminum, if necessary its easily repaired with aluminum epoxy-no need to build up with weld/machine or replace. PM me if you want a PDF of the shop manual emailed.

tnfreebird

Cadet

Those boats bring about 3-4000 in ok shape----I just rebuilt the whole impeller section in mine--you can spend 500 + easy---good news are parts are available and cheap--I dont think they are hard to rebuild--it's a force outboard block---good luck
Are you sure about that Force outboard deal?

I've owned a couple of SeaRayders, one with a 90HP Merc SportJet and another with a 175XR Merc SportJet. I never had any problems with either, but I thought the 90 was a 3 cylinder Merc powerhead. No doubt the 175 was a Merc.

Not trying to be a smartass, just curious.

Capt Ken

Commander

First off, it is a Force engine sold under the Mercury name. You cannot put the 90 on the 120 pump. It will fit but the 120 is a 1-1 drive unit and the 90 is a 1.5-1. The 90 will not spin the impeller fast enough. Also the crank splines are not the same as a Force outboard crank. The Sportjet crank is a animal all its own.

To use the 90 engine, you will need to change out the pump but I wouldn't do it. The 90 is not enough power for one of these boats on a good day. I've had both and still have a 120. If the crank is good, rebuild what you have or send the crank off to be rebuilt.

jkp1

Cadet

The 90 is not enough power for one of these boats on a good day. I've had both and still have a 120. If the crank is good, rebuild what you have or send the crank off to be rebuilt.

Just curious, what was your top end speed on the 90 vs the 120?

Capt Ken

Commander

In the low 30's with the 90 and I have seen 45 with the 120 now that we installed a SS wear ring and have almost 0 clearance. With the alum wear ring we was getting high 30 to low 40 mph. Problem we are having with the SS ring and tight clearance is getting enough water to the pump when trying to launch at WOT.

tnfreebird

Cadet

FYI Assuming the speedo was reasonably accurate, my F14 would top 40mph. My F16XR would run mid 50's. I ran an F16 with the 120HP package, but don't remember the speed on that one as I just ran it once.

mharringtion

Cadet

I am the almost proud owner of a 94 sea rayder with a merc 90. I have hit speeds of 38 with no head wind. All the dealers in my area have said that this boat is a night mare for electrical issues. I have replaced trigger, strator switch, electric control module and have had to all three carbs rebuilt. now the boat goes well starts and runs every time, a hog on fuel though.

My question is, and I am hoping that someone can answer it, how to replace lower unit lube. I have been told by my mechanic that the only way to replace it is to remove the entire lower unit and do it on the bench. Is this true or does someone know of something easier, if so please share.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I am the almost proud owner of a 94 sea rayder with a merc 90. I have hit speeds of 38 with no head wind. All the dealers in my area have said that this boat is a night mare for electrical issues. I have replaced trigger, strator switch, electric control module and have had to all three carbs rebuilt. now the boat goes well starts and runs every time, a hog on fuel though.

My question is, and I am hoping that someone can answer it, how to replace lower unit lube. I have been told by my mechanic that the only way to replace it is to remove the entire lower unit and do it on the bench. Is this true or does someone know of something easier, if so please share.

wow old thread! it shouldn't be too bad on gas, i'd run my for 4 hours an afternoon and go through maybe 6 gallons. it has ALOT to do with how you drive. If you drive it like a jetski and hold it at WOT for an hour at a time, prepare to open your wallet!

anyway, there are two spots to change oil at. The lower unit itself, and the stator. you drain the lower unit from the two screws in front of the intake, under the boat. one screw is a fill hole with a tube, one is just an open drain hole. (need to use an outboard oil pump)

to change the stator you need to take off the reverse/steering nozzle and then remove the center screw.

btw, both of those should be changed every year, ESPECIALLY the stator, and you need to use merc premium high performance outboard lube. (the expensive stuff)

94 rayder

Recruit

Does anybody have a service manual I could buy for this 1994 sea rayder I am looking to pull the motor want to make sure I do it properly?

Thanks Todd

gpw023

Recruit

I was told that I needed to change the wear ring and pro on my 1994 Sea Rayer. It won't go pass 10-15 mph I got an pro from a buddy which looks the same as my pro on there but I need the wear ring. My question is how do I know this is the real problem?, where can I get the wear ring for a good price?, and does anyone have a PDF manual for this boat?, thanks.

Brian

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Brian ..Have this exact same setup , post pics of the impeller and wear ring can help you from there !!
First step is to take a feeler gauge and determine the clearance between impeller blades and wear ring !!! it should be well under .100 .. that is the point that it will slow the boat down , Also if you have groves or chips in the ring they can be repaired !!!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

You can rebuild the wear ring with JBweld, search around here and on the internet for it. I've done it numerous times to sj 95's, 120's, and my current 175, with great results every time. I initially thought that the jbweld would get blown out the first time I started it, but it has held up perfectly through multiple seasons.

MIKOVANA6

Recruit

MY '94 SEA RAYDER 90 JET O RING IS SUSPECTED OF CAUSING THE 10 MPH DRAG & CAVITATION. IS THERE ANYONE WHO WILL BE WILLING TO REPAIR NEAR MEMPHIS? THERE IS NOTHING OBVIOUSLY BENT THAT I COULD TELL. I AM ON LEAVE FROM IRAQ IN AUGUST. THANKS.
michael.kelly16@iraq.centcom.mil

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The JB weld repair is fairly easy to do , You can use the impeller to " machine it to fit . I do not know anyone near Memphis who has done this but your best bet is to open a new thread just for your situation / boat as they get much more attention , If you are restricted as to opening a thread due to your service to the US post that up and I will open one for you .

PS Thank You for my freedom !

sheldonbaker

Cadet

hey just want to jump in here,,, i allso am looking a 1996 sea rayder f16 and thats a good boat go for with trailer and what do i need to look at... i want to test the boat ,,out and how long should i test ride it if he will let me .,.. should i have 3 guys on the boat ./. so to see if it will plane out and stuff please help

designer769

Recruit

Hey, I ve got a 96 Sea Rayder F14

Last edited by a moderator:

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All boat sales or parts sales are only allowed to be done via PM's