All aluminum pontoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tscott8201

Cadet
I've done some searching, and can't seem to find any solid answers. Who makes a wood free pontoon boat?

I assume the majority of boats have a plywood deck. I am currently repairing rotten wood on my center console, and would like to avoid wood in my future boat purchases.

Tom

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: All aluminum pontoon

Some manufacturers have switched to composite decking. Aluminum decking would be more expensive and increase the noise level. Additionally, most seat bases and consoles are plastic or similar material.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm pretty sure some of the Tracker pontoons are aluminum deck, rotocast furniture and pretty much a wood free boat.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm pretty sure some of the Tracker pontoons are aluminum deck, rotocast furniture and pretty much a wood free boat.

You're right, my Suntracker Regency has an aluminim deck. It should be available on any Suntracker. I don't think the metal deck is noticeably noisier than other boats.

Glenn

lncoop

Vice Admiral

You're right, my Suntracker Regency has an aluminim deck. It should be available on any Suntracker. I don't think the metal deck is noticeably noisier than other boats.

Glenn

+1 Mine has the aluminum deck and rotocast furniture bases. In my experience the aluminum's not any noisier. The only wood is the plywood base to the sun deck, which can be easily replaced when the time comes. FWIW I don't think anyone still uses plywood for seat bases. That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a plywood deck. They last a very long time, especially on barges that sleep on a trailer.

Tscott8201

Cadet

+1 Mine has the aluminum deck and rotocast furniture bases. In my experience the aluminum's not any noisier. The only wood is the plywood base to the sun deck, which can be easily replaced when the time comes. FWIW I don't think anyone still uses plywood for seat bases. That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a plywood deck. They last a very long time, especially on barges that sleep on a trailer.

I guess that does make sense. The Reason the wood failed in my center console was because the water was trapped and the wood could not dry. I suppose as long as the boat was covered when store on the trailer, it would dry fairly quickly and rot could be avoided for a long while.

Tom

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Are you thinking about getting another barge?

Tscott8201

Cadet

Are you thinking about getting another barge?

I currently have 22' Aquasports center console that I am replacing the deck on (balsa core composite). Going pretty well so far, a ton of sanding and epoxy work.

The wife is pregnant with our first, and I am thinking that with little ones around that it may be time to invest in a lake boat (lake Santa Fe in Melrose Florida is just down the road). I am not really married to the center console (we used to be much closer to the ocean than we are now), so I think we are going to sell it and get a pontoon as soon as I get the deck back together. Pontoon is probably the best boat for little kids and adult fun as well. I figure they can do just about everything a family could want to do in a lake. Fish, Ski, swim, drink, eat, etc.

Tom

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I see. Congrats on the bambino. Nothing like it! You're right, pontoon boats are great for all the activities you listed. When you begin the pursuit in earnest you'll find several threads that address which one makes the most sense for what. We'll all be ready to answer your questions. Just remember, the advice is worth what you pay for it.;)

Dkrager

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tahoe/Avalon have the all aluminum deck option. I just bought one, but I have the wood deck, (seat bases are aluminum) I just saw that it was an option for the floor.

My old 1970 funtoon has an all aluminum deck. There is really nothing to go wrong.

If you can afford the aluminum floor, go for it. Especially if you plan to keep it for many years to come.

Dc19

Cadet

im new to pontoons but just purchased a 1988 24' kayot commodore. it as aluminum deck. i think they still manufacture pontoons. just throwing out useless chatter!

Micahhaase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a wooden deck on my 1995 pontoon and it feels and looks like brand new.. but after we use it it dries out quickly and isnt submitted to any weather (its kept inside a storage unit).. I Know this will last me a long time.

krazyj57

Recruit
I have a 1998 Sun Tracker 21 signature with aluminum deck and it's as tight as the day it was built. I also replaced the wood on sundeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.