Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I'm cruising long distance, full speed, I'm often leaning back in my chair relaxing. If some sort of my seating system failed; swivel, connection to seat, seat post, bolts to the floor, I would flip right out the back of the boat. By the time I surfaced again with my boat going 3 mph, There's no way I'd catch it. I wave I didn't see could catch me off guard too I suppose. I like your reasoning too tho. More than once I've hooked up the battery with the throttle on and the prop started spinning. Another thing, it would be nice to be able to pull out the key and disable the battery if I was away from the boat for some reason. It wouldn't prevent theft but may be enough to slow it down and/or discourage it. My e-bay order is on the way. Total cost $6.52.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
When I'm cruising long distance, full speed, I'm often leaning back in my chair relaxing. If some sort of my seating system failed; swivel, connection to seat, seat post, bolts to the floor, I would flip right out the back of the boat. By the time I surfaced again with my boat going 3 mph, There's no way I'd catch it. I wave I didn't see could catch me off guard too I suppose. I like your reasoning too tho. More than once I've hooked up the battery with the throttle on and the prop started spinning. Another thing, it would be nice to be able to pull out the key and disable the battery if I was away from the boat for some reason. It wouldn't prevent theft but may be enough to slow it down and/or discourage it. My e-bay order is on the way. Total cost $6.52.

Hey, I'd like to see you do a write up on how you wired everything together. This would be a good thing to have if I ever leave the boat alone around the docks

CopperFox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Starkonian: I've never really dealt with kill switches, but I'd strongly recommend before you install any, you make sure that thing comes out VERY easily. While getting left behind a runaway boat really s#cks, it's a whole lot better than being dragged helplessly behind one. And realistically, if you are still attached to a moving boat, that puts you right at the prop. Take care and best of luck with your search!

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Anybody here own both the mariner 4 and 3? I'm looking at maybe getting the mariner 3 as well for easier setup when solo fishing which I do alot of.

So a day after posting this message.. Amazon had a great deal on the old Intex Seahawk II(Older Mariner 3) bought 1 for $70 shipped brand new i believe! Couldn't pass that up.. Boat suppose to come today.. Lets hope its brand new! Love the Mariner 4 but really wanted a little smaller boat for my solo fishing trip and one with the air floor option. I was actually looking at buying this Bestway Boat but glad I found that Seahawk II for half the price!

Questions for those who own anchors.. where are y'all attaching your anchors to on the Mariner? When I had the excursion i would attach it to the grab handles the mariner has the handles too but a lot lower the excursions..

Last edited:

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use a milk jug filled up with gravel that has a handle. I keep it in a bucket in the boat. I tie it off to the safety rope that circles the boat. I'm looking for a climbing rope cleat of some sort to allow easier adjustment.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So a day after posting this message.. Amazon had a great deal on the old Intex Seahawk II(Older Mariner 3) bought 1 for $70 shipped brand new i believe! Couldn't pass that up.. Boat suppose to come today.. Lets hope its brand new! Love the Mariner 4 but really wanted a little smaller boat for my solo fishing trip and one with the air floor option. I was actually looking at buying this Bestway Boat[/URL] but glad I found that Seahawk II for half the price!

Questions for those who own anchors.. where are y'all attaching your anchors to on the Mariner? When I had the excursion i would attach it to the grab handles the mariner has the handles too but a lot lower the excursions..

Are you going to put a hard floor in it also?

Jiggyjay

Seaman
Are you going to put a hard floor in it also?

I was but not anymore! Spoke to soon the ended up sending me the Seahawk 2 and not the II.. Seahawk 2 is the green and yellow one thats more of a pool toy not the same quality as the Mariners.. Knew it was too good to be true but had to take a chance on it since it was a good deal if it ended being the product that was pictured. Now have to deal with returning it.. oh Well..

@starkonian.. Figured that would be the best place to hook an anchor up but dont know if it would hold up well.. I'm guessing yours is working good? I like your milk jug anchor! very redneck! haha.. I have a 5# weight plate that I use.. I use to have a 15# mushroom but it ended up getting stuck and couldn't get it out last year..

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would rather have the newer mariner 3 with the slat floor anyways.... But I agree... For $70 hard to pass up

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I use a milk jug filled up with gravel that has a handle. I keep it in a bucket in the boat. I tie it off to the safety rope that circles the boat. I'm looking for a climbing rope cleat of some sort to allow easier adjustment.

That's a hell of an idea. And cheap...I like it. How much did it weigh once you filled it?

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I decided to play around with the idea of adding rod holders to the back of my seat since I had one laying around. I used the existing holes that were used to mount the back of the chair so I wouldn't have to drill any more holes into it and used a spare sheet of ply wood that I had left over from the floors. For now, I used the bolts that came with the seat but I'll have to replace them with longer ones, at least an extra 1/2 inch longer.

This was mock up

I'm going to round off the top so I don't have any sharp corners.

Test fitting.

I used the existing holes that were on the rod holder to mount bolts from the back of the wooden mount. All I had were two bolt laying around, so this will do for now till I go to the store.

Mounted back up.

Looking pretty good so far.

I'll eventually wrap the wood in some carpet I have left over from the floors. Since I cast over my right shoulder, the right rod holder will probably be left empty while casting from the seat. But so far I'm liking the set up. Beats the heck out of rods resting the on the floor.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My milk jug weighs 14lbs with 1/2" gravel. I think if I filled it with sand it would weigh more; more densely packed. There's no sharp edges so easy on the boat. Muck doesn't seem to stick to it. It starts dragging when the wind getting to 15 mph, so I position up wind of my spot and let it drag through the weeds and that will usually hold it. I then then let out more rope to position where I want to be. I tie off equally between two of the outside rope guides and I haven't noticed any potential overloading. I do want to find an adjustable cleat of some type. It need to tie off one side and cleat the down rope on the other. I've looked from time to time on e-bay but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

jc2133-Let know when that rod setup works out. I've thought about doing that or mounting some holders to a bucket and put them in the middle of the boat. But I cast all the time and the boat naturally swings around constantly and I'm casting in all directions so I don't want anything sticking up. With me and my son in the boat, I use the oar locks to hold our ultra lights and we're holding our bigger rods, or vice versa. When I'm by myself I just lay one rod down. With the extra room by myself I haven't found that to be much of an issue.

JC2133

Seaman Apprentice
I personally wouldn't use a bucket for a rod holder unless it was secured. Like you said, the boat naturally swings. More likely the bucket will tip over or move around a lot.
I actually bring a bucket along more so for storage. Instead of fumbling around my tackle bag, I use a bucket organizer with lid. They can be found at any hardware store. I'll usually have 2 sets of pliers, a boga grip, scale, rook remover...misc tools, etc. The handle serves well as a lure holder. I've even used some of the pockets to keep some lures. The canvas is pretty heavy duty so hooks being snagged isn't an issue. The top lid serves as an extra tackle box. I usually have my son's stuff in there.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool looking bucket. Watch those hanging lures tho. They have a way of finding the boat air chambers. I'll post a pic of my gear storage system when I get a chance. I received the trolling motor cut off switch. Working now on the installation plans.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here's the power kill switch installed. The key is spring loaded. To insert it I I push it down and then turn clockwise. Turn it counter clock wise breaks the connection and it ejects from the slot when turned 45?. I have it mounted so a string pulling towards the rear of the boat will cause it to break the power connection and pop out of the slot. I'm running the negative wire through it. The other smaller wires hook up to a volt meter I mounted.

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2119.jpg

IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
My milk jug weighs 14lbs with 1/2" gravel. I think if I filled it with sand it would weigh more; more densely packed. There's no sharp edges so easy on the boat. Muck doesn't seem to stick to it. It starts dragging when the wind getting to 15 mph, so I position up wind of my spot and let it drag through the weeds and that will usually hold it. I then then let out more rope to position where I want to be. I tie off equally between two of the outside rope guides and I haven't noticed any potential overloading. I do want to find an adjustable cleat of some type. It need to tie off one side and cleat the down rope on the other. I've looked from time to time on e-bay but haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

jc2133-Let know when that rod setup works out. I've thought about doing that or mounting some holders to a bucket and put them in the middle of the boat. But I cast all the time and the boat naturally swings around constantly and I'm casting in all directions so I don't want anything sticking up. With me and my son in the boat, I use the oar locks to hold our ultra lights and we're holding our bigger rods, or vice versa. When I'm by myself I just lay one rod down. With the extra room by myself I haven't found that to be much of an issue.

I use a 3 lbs grapling hook style anchor, really compacts and hold well.

Ya i find the rod holders are great for transporting but once you get down to fishign it can be annoying jhaving them sticking up. If im by myself i have 4-5 rods with me, would love something better then the floor of the boat as well.

Starkonian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I use a 3 lbs grapling hook style anchor, really compacts and hold well.

Ya i find the rod holders are great for transporting but once you get down to fishign it can be annoying jhaving them sticking up. If im by myself i have 4-5 rods with me, would love something better then the floor of the boat as well.

How about securing a board, say 1" x 8" across the middle, and secure it to the safety ropes. Then fabricate some rod holders out of pcv tubes and mount them horizontal, aft to fore so the rods point towards the bow. You could also put the the tubes at a 10? angle without too much trouble, angling up towards the bow. The rods would be off the floor but in the way of casting. Just an idea that to me.

KingPhoenix

Seaman Apprentice
How about securing a board, say 1" x 8" across the middle, and secure it to the safety ropes. Then fabricate some rod holders out of pcv tubes and mount them horizontal, aft to fore so the rods point towards the bow. You could also put the the tubes at a 10? angle without too much trouble, angling up towards the bow. The rods would be off the floor but in the way of casting. Just an idea that to me.

Interesting idea, might see about that. I love this boat but im hoping to get a real boat within 2 years anyways so im not sure how much i more work i want to put into it. Boats great but there is a a great lake close by that id love to fish more but can only do it on days when the wind/waves are not too much and try to stay to the bays.