Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Gerald1755

Cadet
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Tried out the dolly today. It did great and performed just as I hoped. I was able to park and set the boat up just behind my truck. I then wheeled it down to the ramp and rolled it into the water. Worked great. Didn't get the launch on film but did film me loading it on the dolly and getting it out of the water. First time and I was trying to hurry because there were several boats waiting to get out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbyVoxhmDY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dude.... That's pretty slick.... I like it a lot

Ajm456

Cadet

Hi! I'm new to all of this, but getting a mariner 4 for sure! I also been researching about what type of trolling motor I should get for a good price, plus,a good type of battery that will last me for a good few hours in the lake. I'm very exited on getting it so I can modify it! And also I was wondering if I can built and install a small Bimini on the mariner, I'm also putting a hard floor. Sorry If I asked to many questions at random lol Thanks! :D

Gerald1755

Cadet

Ajm456, I'm new to the mariner 4 also but I can share what I know so far. I went with the Minn Kota Endura Max 55lb I couldn't imagine being happy with anything smaller. Battery, I went with a walmart group 29. Had the boat out for a couple hours with my wife and daughter and was still going strong when we left. I just completed a solid floor yesterday and cannot wait to try it out. I used 5/8" plywood 3 pieces covered with indoor/outdoor carpet glued down. Only other thing I did was build a dolly. My main goal with the dolly is to be able to assemble everything and launch the boat by myself. Also anxious to try the dolly with the new solid floor. The top sounds like a good idea. I haven't put much thought into it but I'm sure it can be done. There is lots of good info in the thread and on YouTube videos. Oh, btw I am in Texas and had to register the boat because of the TM. I used stencils and a large sharpie for the numbers. I laminated the registration stickers, glued Velcro to the boat and laminated stickers. Seems to be holding good. Good Luck and have fun!

Ajm456

Cadet

Ajm456, I'm new to the mariner 4 also but I can share what I know so far. I went with the Minn Kota Endura Max 55lb I couldn't imagine being happy with anything smaller. Battery, I went with a walmart group 29. Had the boat out for a couple hours with my wife and daughter and was still going strong when we left. I just completed a solid floor yesterday and cannot wait to try it out. I used 5/8" plywood 3 pieces covered with indoor/outdoor carpet glued down. Only other thing I did was build a dolly. My main goal with the dolly is to be able to assemble everything and launch the boat by myself. Also anxious to try the dolly with the new solid floor. The top sounds like a good idea. I haven't put much thought into it but I'm sure it can be done. There is lots of good info in the thread and on YouTube videos. Oh, btw I am in Texas and had to register the boat because of the TM. I used stencils and a large sharpie for the numbers. I laminated the registration stickers, glued Velcro to the boat and laminated stickers. Seems to be holding good. Good Luck and have fun!

Thanks! And when u deflate the boat do u take off the hard floor and put it in the car or just leave it? Also since I live in Florida do u need to register the boat and where can I register a boat? Thanks!

Gerald1755

Cadet

I remove the floor and deflate so that I can roll the boat up to put back in the bag. I also took others advice and use another duffle bag to put the roll up floor in. The boat and roll up floor in one bag is just too heavy and awkward. Someone else may have to advise you on Florida registration. Here in Texas, boat registration is done with Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept.

300winmag

Seaman

Bass pro is having a sale today so I am getting my Endura max 55 from them and the power center from the fishing hole. Still undecided what to do with the floor, I think I will have to use it first to figure out what exactly I need.

Gerald1755

Cadet

I finally got to try out the boat with the solid floor in. I've had it out the last couple days and I must say the solid floor is a must. It's really a nice upgrade. The dolly I made has also been working great with the solid floor. We are camping at a lakefront lot and can put the boat in and take it out by myself. Dolly is also a must if you ask me. Beyond the boat floor motor mount trolling motor battery floor dolly and everything else that goes with I think I've hit my limit. The back of my truck is getting full and anymore would just be too much work to enjoy unless I just kept it all inflated and assembled. Kinda would defeat the purpose if you ask me though.

Caq

Recruit

Hello folks,

I bought my M4 late in the season last year. I was living in NoVa at the time and my buddy and I would fish the Potomac off of Ft. Belvoir standing up with a rather stock setup. I have a Minn Kota Endura C2 30 and the usual Walmart battery inside the Minn Kota power center.

This year, I've moved down to Portsmouth and had an itch for a jon boat. Instead, I decided to upgrade the M4. Today I picked up the wood for the floor. I found a diagram that I don't think I saw in this thread which shows the measurements. I went ahead and cut out the 2 floor boards and a 2x2 piece for the base of my swivel seat. I picked up 2 cans of Thompson's WaterSeal and a can of 3M adhesive. Home Depot had gray indoor/outdoor carpet on clearance so I picked up enough to wrap the floor and the base of my chair. Hmm... lets see, I got the chair, swivel, stand, anchor, and small cleat from Walmart.

I'm pretty optimistic about the end product. Since I left my fishing buddy up in NoVa, this is going to be a solo setup.

The only thing I really wish I had is a trailer. I have an extra garage where I could keep the boat all put together. Backing it down the ramp would be such a breeze. I thought about getting the cheap Harbor Freight trailer but I don't think it would last long if I kept backing it in and out of water. The amount of prep it would take to make it serve that purpose is almost not worth it. The second best idea would be the dolly. I see a few of you guys have built your own for about the same price as the one I saw at Walmart today. It was made by Attwood.

Anyway, this is all I've got for now. I'll be sure to post pictures of the final product.

Here's the link to the excel spreadsheet containing the floor board measurements. TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Mariner lovers!
New to Forum..fantastic to see all the great minds, and high enthusiasm for the mariner.
bought the M3 last year,after months of research, primarly because of portability, and "fold up throw in back of small pick up " mentality. Followed many of your suggestions and vids to put a stable and very sturdy floor(primed painted , carpeted and surrounded by pipe insulation) My floor is 2 piece, splits in middle (about 27in by 47in each piece nothing holding them together. All to "handle" quick and easy with 15 min set up,with coleman inflator. Works perfect. I use the newer motor mount by Intex, and a 40lb thrust 36 in shaft minn kota. Again ..love ,love it all.
The question I have is with the motor depth. Is there a "best depth for ultimate performance" with the 36 in shaft. It is adjustable, easily...so when the water is shallower, I can pull it up. I have wondered,though, in deep steady water...what is best depth of lower end of TM? Or is there any difference? does it affect thrust and then performance, specifically motor battery drain? What say ye???? Any minn kota geniuses out there

Last edited:

300winmag

Seaman

Good Luck Caq!

While waiting for the lakes to thaw out I purchased the $150 Seamax 80D pump but that was a complete bust so I returned it and bought the $60 Airhead AHP-12HP High Pressure Air Pump which is by far the fastest high volume pump I have ever used(but I had to go to 6 different places to find a longer compatible hose because the hose it comes with is only 2') It uses battery clamps instead of the cigarette plug because it draws 28 Amps, I was on the fence because of this but I then I had an idea...

I bought 3 of these connectors, scrounged up some 8 gauge wire and ran it from my car battery to the front of my car where the block heater cord sticks out, put a quick connect on it and one on my pump. Since that means my pump can only be used by my car because of the quick connects I took the battery clamps from my pump that I cut off and put them on 2' of wire with another quick connect so my pump can also be used by any battery if need be. Tested it all out today and works wonderfully.

iboats won't allow a link....:facepalm: The connectrors are from basspro. "Trac Trolling Motor Connector Kit"

Last edited:

300winmag

Seaman

flukesofnature

Good questions!
From what I have read, the higher the better but I have yet to use mine. It will be interesting to see all the answers.

flukesofnature

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another idea I got from the minn kota site was the minn kota 12 V power center, which has two cig lighter adapters built in. This holds my prime battery for the MK 40..but the adapters allow for a fast fill at waters edge for my Mariner 3.
This are available at wallmart,com for about 45 dollars.

You stated you had read the higher up the MK 40lb -36 in shaft, the better it performs...doesn't it begin to interact wih the air if too shallow..like cavitation in an outboard?

300winmag

Seaman

The only spot around here where I can get the power center for a decent price is the fishing hole for $70
Even amazon.ca wants over $100 for it. They ordered it for me a few weeks ago but still waiting for it to arrive. Sucks being an Eskimo with no roads way up here in... Calgary lol.
If you put the motor all the way down and slowly bring it up till you find the sweet spot it should be near the top, which is I guess low enough to avoid cavitation.

300winmag

Seaman

I was thinking of doing that but the quality of the minn kota one is better then what I could make.

petoria

Cadet

Hey flukes of nature, I'm assuming you go after fluke? I go after halibut's same thing a little bigger here in cali. I too am curious what people have to say about the height of the motor in the water. I have walmart group 27, and group 24 as backup to run my bait tank and fish finder, and 55 lb. minn kota trolling motor, 5/8 plywood 3 piece floor,so I run a heavy load. My opinion on the location of the motor is that the higher up in the water the faster you go, b/c of less drag I'm assuming. I noticed that the motor will lag if you go long distances on speed 5, if you stop and fish, then go the motor is alot faster and stronger. I used to have the 30 lb minn kota, but upgraded to the 55. It's not double fast but it is noticeably faster and more powerful. If you use setting 3 my battery lasts 7 hours, on setting 5 2 hrs. With my 30lb it would last all day on speed 5. I like to put the prop as high as I can without the prop splashing the surface to go the fastest. I always inflate the keel also and am usually in alot of current and sometimes wind.

blueflames

Recruit

If I was to put wooden bench on top of boat from side to side of boat, what are the dimensions I should use?

mrdrh99

Hey blue... You'd be looking around 36-40 inches.... How do you plan on securing it and do you plan to put any support underneath?

mrdrh99

Hey flukes of nature, I'm assuming you go after fluke? I go after halibut's same thing a little bigger here in cali. I too am curious what people have to say about the height of the motor in the water. I have walmart group 27, and group 24 as backup to run my bait tank and fish finder, and 55 lb. minn kota trolling motor, 5/8 plywood 3 piece floor,so I run a heavy load. My opinion on the location of the motor is that the higher up in the water the faster you go, b/c of less drag I'm assuming. I noticed that the motor will lag if you go long distances on speed 5, if you stop and fish, then go the motor is alot faster and stronger. I used to have the 30 lb minn kota, but upgraded to the 55. It's not double fast but it is noticeably faster and more powerful. If you use setting 3 my battery lasts 7 hours, on setting 5 2 hrs. With my 30lb it would last all day on speed 5. I like to put the prop as high as I can without the prop splashing the surface to go the fastest. I always inflate the keel also and am usually in alot of current and sometimes wind.
The Minn Kota catalog I have recommends 3 3/4" between top of spinning prop and top of water for optimum speed and battery life