Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Moneymakin

Cadet
Re: Intex Mariner 4 modifications and Tips

Hey Irish,

U Do only need ur customised floor, without the original one. Maybe you need to cut a Bit out from the Front and the back, cause the wooden one is Not as flexible as the origin.
And Maybe u need to cut a centimeter away from the side, depends on the pipe isolation u use. But try bef?rdert cutting!!! Make sure, there are no sharp edges. Would u tell us, how it Works with only 11mm OSB? Cause i used 18mm, what is quite heavy to handle.
Cu,
Moneymakin from Germany

Rakumi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you do not have carpet on your wood floor yet, you can lightly sand the sides quickly (no major job needed) and then line the sides with ducktape. I have done this before on my excursion 5 with no issues on my trial floor.

mrdrh99

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just an update.... I got a killer deal on a 2hp Johnson on craigslist. Will post some picks of my redesigned set up in a couple weeks... I'm looking into freeing up all the floor space I can and reduce some weight.

mrdrh99

Time to get the ball rolling again here....

Next thing I want for my boat is an easier quicker way to deal with the seat installation. Here is what I'm thinkinghttp://m.************/Wise-Quick-Disconnect-Boat-Seat-Mount/product/100755/

But! I want to mount it directly to my custom floor and ditch the extra wood in using to mount the pedestal instead..... Hell.... Maybe buy 2 and if it's just me I can use both of them to keep the seat 3 pieces

mrdrh99

Wow.... Really I boats? B a s s p r o marked out? Yous guys!

mrdrh99

Lol.... OK so I look like the a s s...I boats sell this item already $2 cheaper!

mrdrh99

Anyone on here think that the m4 can handle a bench seat completely supported by the tubes? I have an idea about putting my swivel seat and electronics on a single bench

HOLTWA

Cadet

Hello All

I just bought a Mariner 4 with a Parsun 3.6HP outboard. I didn't even try the roll up floor and used the great ideas and advice from this post to build my own floor.

I used a 12mm plywood varnished with a good quality water based deck sealer and topped this with 2mm alumnium step plate that I had lying around.

I also cut a small piece of wooden floor board and inserted it between the engine mount and the rear of the boat. This spreads the forces over a larger area which surprisingly makes a quite big difference.

In the end a very sturdy boat compared with my Voyager 500 (no comparison). In fact the 3.6HP now seems a bit light.

I've added some pics.

Great boat great forum!!

Wayne Holt
Johannesburg
South Africa

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 48
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Picture3.jpg
    Picture3.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Picture4.jpg
    Picture4.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture5.jpg
    Picture5.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 46

mrdrh99

Dude! Awesome! Welcome aboard!

300winmag

Seaman

That looks super cool but man is that aluminum going to be hot in the sun.... not to mention the reflection from the sun going in your eyes. You could paint the checker plate to get rid of the glare but its still going to be crazy hot under that sun.

300winmag

Seaman

Might be worth it cause the more I look at it the nicer it is lol.... Hey what about that black rubber checker plate? Its like a 1/4 thick, on top of 3/8 marine plywood... I think im on to something here...

HOLTWA

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome!

I was concerned about the reflection but the plate has dulled somewhat from being used in an exhibition booth from being walked on. Otherwise with all the seats and gear in not much glare.

I used contact adhesive to glue the aluminium to the wood which leaves a small air gap providing good heat dissipation. I haven't found the heat to be a problem as yet.

I also think by extending the engine mounting poles on the top of the boat and then down onto the floor will also provide extra strength as these are pulled back by the torque from the motor. A 10HP motor might be just the right option as the weight wouldn't be a problem assuming the weight distribution in the boat is correct at launch.

Cheers

HOLTWA

Cadet

The black checker rubber is also a great idea. The nice thing with aluminium is that it is super light as well as strong.

petoria

Cadet

Hey fishing season is coming and I can't wait...hey mrdrh I actually use a bench style seat in the back of my m4 and it is plenty solid...Easy to steer and very comfy..i actually store my minn Kota battery hub between the posts and underneath the bench..I have screwed posts to reinforce the tube, but also store my 27 size battery...I'm a big guy and it supports me just fine, I mount my fish finder and a tape ruler for measuring on it too...I just used an extra book case shelving that has the smooth plastic finish and screwed in two posts to reinforce the tubes and it worked great better than a seat IMO and I have more space to store things, one of the best things I did to my boat I will get a pic up one day of my whole setup, I always forget when im out there having too much fun lol

300winmag

Seaman

Thats amazing you dont have an issue with heat, when I go to the yard at work to grab some aluminum thats been out in the sun all day its bloody hot.
I like the idea of extra support for your motor! You going to weld your mount to the floor or bolt it? 10hp would be insane, you have to post a video if you decide to go that big :) biggest motor I've seen is a 6 on the mariner 4 and that pushed the boat to its limits.

HOLTWA

Cadet

most of the floor is not exposed to direct sunlight and that which is remains cool as the heat dissipates quickly to the "cooler aluminium under the seats, gear and the board below. Works very well. I too am surprised. Having a 10hp motor is insane but you don't need to run it flat out. I want to see if I can borrow one to test. I've attached another picture of the boat from the rear.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 37

300winmag

Seaman

Your a better man then I... if I had a 10 I couldn't resist a little fun :D .... which is why I drive a Nissan rogue lol.

what else you planning on doing? A center console with some checker plating trim would look super cool.

mrdrh99

How well does that motor push the boat? I just picked up a 2hp for the upcoming season.

HOLTWA

Cadet

No. I think I'm about done with the boat. I need a telescopic control for the motor the tiller is a bit short. As for a 2HP motor I honestly think you're going to find it a little weak. The 3.6 feels that way. I'm going to try a 5.8 and 9 and see what happens. I like testing things to see how they hold up as well as a bit of adrenaline LOL

Last edited:

mrdrh99

Where are you located? I couldn't really find a way to get a parsun here in the states