SPLASHDOWN. . . . There you have it. . . March 17 2012

Expidia

Commander
Our season opener on the hudson river. . . . Hmmm, march 1st today and all of 5 degrees this AM.
What are the chances of breaking our season opener earliest splashdown this year???

Pic taken March 17th 2012!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: SPLASHDOWN. . . . There you have it. . . March 17 2012

Well........ I think I will just sit back and watch your attempt ........... I can not even wrap my brain around it now. I pray that it happens for you and I pray for just some warmer weather. The weather here took a HUGE 40 degree swing today and is still only 30 outside.

Good luck ....take lots of pictures!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Hope it works out for ya ! I'm thinking you all up there have suffered enough for this winter ..:smow:
Sure hope you guys can come out of hibernation soon ! :nod::fish2:

Kry

Cadet

haha that would be fantastic...love to be in water that early, the couple of feet of ice residing there at the moment doesn't see:grumpy:m to have any intention of leaving anytime soon though

Expidia

Commander

The biggest headache on a river like the hudson is during earlier spring is that the spring melt coming out of the adirondack mountains raises the water level which in turn flushes many logs, branches and debris off the banks.
The hudson will be fast moving during early spring. We've watched entire trees go by us like they were a 36 foot boat passing us.
Get out there too early and it's too easy to to take a prop out or worse the lower unit from submerged waterlogged logs.
March of 2012 was a very mild winter hardly any snow that season or run off. It was 78 degrees on the water that season opener.

Kry

Cadet

The biggest headache on a river like the hudson is during earlier spring is that the spring melt coming out of the adirondack mountains raises the water level which in turn flushes many logs, branches and debris off the banks.
The hudson will be fast moving during early spring. We've watched entire trees go by us like they were a 36 foot boat passing us.
Get out there too early and it's too easy to to take a prop out or worse the lower unit from submerged waterlogged logs.
March of 2012 was a very mild winter hardly any snow that season or run off. It was 78 degrees on the water that season opener.

Wow that would be a little unnerving, but definitely an experience, March 2 today and minus 8 and snowing, the river I can see from my house is only fit for ice fishing at the moment.

Expidia

Commander

Sad part is the weather services are reporting that polar vortex event again which sweeps down from canada across the great lakes and then east towards me!
They say, this year because the great lakes are frozen over even after they melt that cold water will probably keep it cool in mynregion for a few months yet maybe even a cooler summer than most :eek: