calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Re: calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

The lake has really taken it's share of shoreline @ Temple Bar. The Docks are being moved an average of twice per week, and have already been moved over 500 feet in since the water level has been rising, so that in itself is pretty much a full time job.

#1 is going over the new bridge, although you wouldn't know you were over 900 feet above the river
and pics of the lake and launch ramp on Saturday
T-Bar Reface Days 2.12.11 005.jpg T-Bar Reface Days 2.12.11 007 800x600.jpg T-Bar Reface Days 2.12.11 008 800x600.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool. I'd love to see a pic from the bottom of the ramp, back up to the Ice Hut and Store. Got anything like that in your pocket?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Looks like they may be slowing down at 1096' . . . http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/rivops.html

Havasu on Saturday:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Havasu 2-12-11.JPG
    Havasu 2-12-11.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 0

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Cool. I'd love to see a pic from the bottom of the ramp, back up to the Ice Hut and Store. Got anything like that in your pocket?
sure, here's a couple more of the ramp and one in b & w (didn't see the camera settings got changed) looking up the ramp.
T-Bar Reface Days 2.12.11 010 800x600.jpg T-Bar Reface Days 2.12.11 009800x600.jpg T-Bar Reface Days 2.12.11 015 800x600.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Low was 42 yesterday and high was 77. No real wind to speak of and it was actually hot in the sun standing still. I launched at 10:30 AM, and I was comfortable in shorts and a tee shirt until I got up on plane. I wore a jacket, but was fine as soon as we backed down to wakeless. We just hung out in the Channel like the pic showed. Beat sitting at home by a mile. That pic was actually Saturday at around 4:00 PM. I was shirtless and the girls were wearing bathing suit tops and shorts yesterday. Lots of blankets for any cruisng though.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like we'll finish the day with another gain..:cool:
Bureau of Reclamation- Lower Colorado Region_1297739582552.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral

i cant wait to run my lures through some cover that was dry before! oh ya

I'm thinking there will be a population explosion at Mead if they keep all the new brush submerged for a year or 2. That along with gizzard shad getting into Mead, let's hope the fishing goes nuts in the next couple years. Got my fingers crossed....

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Posted this morning by the National Park Service - Lake Mead National Recreation Area:

Echo Bay marina fuel dock temporarily closed for repair. Repairs expected to be completed early next week. Landside auto fuel open. Please plan accordingly. Contact the marina directly for repair status: 702-394-4066

:cool:

b4240

Recruit

Hi, I am new to this forum business. I am a recreational boater heading to Mead in April, we will be staying in Henderson, pulling out each day. We will have 3-4 days. It sounds like the Temple area is really nice, any other tips on best place to put in, or visit?

We do not fish really, so we only have our depth gauge that came with the boat, we have been to Powell quite a bit, is Mead worse for the hidden dangers?

Thanks much.

b4240

Recruit

FYI I found QC's post with a few links to other threads.
Thanks to all for some good insights.

One question: There was a post that referred to the Mussels, does Mead have the Mussels? Do they have the boat cleaning stations? I boat mostly in Utah, and do not want to bring the mussels up. :)

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

FYI I found QC's post with a few links to other threads.
Thanks to all for some good insights.

One question: There was a post that referred to the Mussels, does Mead have the Mussels? Do they have the boat cleaning stations? I boat mostly in Utah, and do not want to bring the mussels up. :)

Mead does indeed have the mussels - quagga mussels, which are closley related to the zebra mussel. There are no cleaning stations at the Temple Bar Marina, however I don't know about the other marinas.
Here is a link to a site that is updated daily with status on the mussels, maps, etc. : Clicky

b4240

Recruit

Thanks for the link, I appreciate the help.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Lake Mead elevation 1096 and counting..:cool:

Bureau of Reclamation- Lower Colorado Region_1299189616440.jpg

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

QC uses the same methods I and most old timers use, along with a 40 year familiarity with the lake. As for underwater mountains; they often occur on the end of ridges that extend into the lake. I think I'll go on line to see if I can find some elevation charts from before 1930.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

console pics 020.jpg[QUOTE=PGFISHER;yes thats what we need are some really good maps.lets see what we find!my starcraft centerconsole is almost ready for mead,found new trailer and redid the whole inside including building new console and floors and kick butt trolling mtr and livewell.still installing many things.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have some really good, hi res, old maps. If anybody wants them PM me your email addy. BIG files. Can't remember where I found them, if I find the links I'll post. I think they're USGS, but don't feel like searching right now :redface: They're is a heavy contour line right about this lake level too :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.