calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: calling all lake mead boaters! nevada

Averages for February i didn't go past 2 weeks but jan 30 was a below average day in the last 2 weeks. i'm thinking of trying mead this year. last year was Powell, Mojave, and Havasu. I haven't been on mead in 30 years. hows it for stripers?

Yeah, but Mead outflow has been averaging less than 10,000 cfs, so . . . uh, has to go up unless we lose more than 7,000 cfs to evap, and that doesn't include the Virgin inflow. Get Mead data at same site you are using or here: http://www.usbr.gov/lc/riverops.html

Mead's awesome, even this low. Stripers, talk to fishrdan.

Powell, most scenic, Mead 2nd, Havasu 3rd, Mohave 4th (exception Black Canyon).

Highest chance to sink and die? Mead 1st, Mohave 2nd, Powell and Havasu tie, and maybe Havasu wins that one. Powell just doesn't have the mega basins, Mead's Virgin Basin is almost an inland sea . . . ;)

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Havasu 3rd

Haha ..I guess that depends on what scenery you're talking about mhihi.gif

I completely agree with the orders you have there QC... Sink & die..sounds funny, but oh how true :cool:

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I just looked at glen canyon outflow data. I'm not seeing an increase that would support yours. I'm not familiar with mead, what other tributaries do you have?

In recent weeks, the level of Lake Powell has been dropping sharply. The agency that controls the reservoir is releasing 11 billion gallons of water each day to help bring up the level of Arizona's Lake Mead. Check out this link: Clicky

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Still climbing, another 10' of shoreline gone...

Bureau of Reclamation- Lower Colorado Region_1296845908972.png

That's all I have to report :D

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Still climbing, another 10' of shoreline gone...

View attachment 82149

That's all I have to report :D

go lake mead!!! maybe goverment wash launch will open soon. LOL, seriously glad to see it filling up.I remember the good old days camping at las vegas bay and staying at campground with boat just below on shore waiting to go cruising.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Shhh... don't tell anyone :)

oh ya i remember camping at echo bay.
There at the lower campground,my tent was about 50ft from waters edge.caught a large mouth next to my chair and plenty of large mouths schooling around following shad on shoreline.There was even a striper at the marina that was about 25-30lbs that was blind in one eye that only came there during the fall. nice back then.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I can tell you guys that the Rocky Mountains in Colorado are averaging snowpack 150% of normal so that figure backs up what the news is saying about a great year for runoff and therefore better water storage in Powell and Mead.

I will also say though that this does not resolve the issue of California, Nevada and Arizona needing to continue to limit the water usage from these reservoirs, I realize its a tough situation for everyone recovering from the drought but we will need several years with this kind of snowpack to replenish those two lakes to full pool, good water usage by the downstream users can only help more.

Mead getting down to the level it has should be a wake up call.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Another foot gained already..that's a lot of water :cool:

Bureau of Reclamation- Lower Colorado Region_1297186436480.png

VegasNordie

Seaman

wow the water level slowlh rising is a good sign..i remember the past couple of year the water level shooting up around september, why september i dont know, and launching in february at boulder harbor the peninsula having water maybe a foot over it, and by march you could already see the peninsula...i understand every lake is to stay within a certain level and supply the river for recreation/agriculture, but mead has to supply a city, and i think us in the city are actually trying to do out part with water conservation with getting rid of lawns and what not! but why mead is basically the only one to suffer i will never understand! especially the fact that they raised the toll booth prices by damn near double who knows, but maybe we will get the free trash bags again to clean up after the scumbags that decide they can litter their beer bottles, diapers, beer cans, and whatever else they dont feel like picking up...

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

i am going to go park my boat and trailer by the launch ramp,maybe it will launch itself for once. Lol

Lol. With the lake rising 3" a day like this, you would need to re-stake the houseboat a few times too.

I'm heading to T-Bar this weekend to get some things done on the mobile home. No boating this trip, unless we get everything done Sat. I need to get up to Hualapai Cove and clean-up the beach there and this will be a good weekend. We adopted it last year. Supposed to be sunny and around 75 with a slight breeze. Ahhhh...

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

wow the water level slowlh rising is a good sign..i remember the past couple of year the water level shooting up around september, why september i dont know, and launching in february at boulder harbor the peninsula having water maybe a foot over it, and by march you could already see the peninsula...i understand every lake is to stay within a certain level and supply the river for recreation/agriculture, but mead has to supply a city, and i think us in the city are actually trying to do out part with water conservation with getting rid of lawns and what not! but why mead is basically the only one to suffer i will never understand! especially the fact that they raised the toll booth prices by damn near double who knows, but maybe we will get the free trash bags again to clean up after the scumbags that decide they can litter their beer bottles, diapers, beer cans, and whatever else they dont feel like picking up...
You are right about everything you said.Why doesnt lake powell ever go down.As for prices for entree, i think its not to bad as long as you buy the yr pass.they have started fixing things up over the last couple of yrs out on mead. mostly around its campgrounds and roads and visitor spots though.The trash is still nasty out there especially at goverment and boxcar cove areas.I must admit, i usto leave a little too when i was younger and throw my cigerette buds anywhere, but now i have special places for everything on boat so i dont make a mess, and even pick up trash at shores when beaching to make up for all my mistakes earlier.One thing i noticed was when they first started filling up lake las vegas that was when our lake started going down.I heard that they didnt use our water but i remember being at the wash outlet by las vegas bay area before and the water was no longer strong or as wide as before.I think there full of it.But on the other hand i kinda like the lake being lower if they would just paint that white bath tub ring on the top brown like the rest it would be beautiful.Still hoping they will make a make shift launch ramp at goverment wash that would be awesome.I think it was always the trip to the marina and having lunch there hoping the wind and waves wouldnt get too bad so we could make it back to goverment afterward was always a big part of the boating experiance.thanks for reading...

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

12VMan sounds good,just to let you know were havin a big party at haulapai thurs nite and were out of trash bags.lol dont worry we will put it in the nearest seadoo we find.LOL just kidding.I really think thats great that you adopted the cove, does it get really bad there? or not to bad.And you even have a mobile home there at temple bar im jealous.I see the ones at calville for sale for 6,000 and up.I dont know how much the space rent is.How much you have to pay there at temple?Have a great weekend and take some photos of anything nice so we can see.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Shhh... don't tell anyone :)

That's sad. It's like an end of an era for sure. It will always be "I remember when..."

At least with the 'floatels' you'll be on the water already. That's what I always loved about houseboating. The price does seem high though..

T-Bar has a shuttle running constantly daily until 6pm. You can get ahold of them on ch 16, or there's a phone at the dock. I take it when we fly out there.

when you fly out to temple,dont tell me you have a sea plane too.man im drooling....

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

12VMan sounds good,just to let you know were havin a big party at haulapai thurs nite and were out of trash bags.lol dont worry we will put it in the nearest seadoo we find.LOL just kidding.I really think thats great that you adopted the cove, does it get really bad there? or not to bad.And you even have a mobile home there at temple bar im jealous.I see the ones at calville for sale for 6,000 and up.I dont know how much the space rent is.How much you have to pay there at temple?Have a great weekend and take some photos of anything nice so we can see.
haha..Haulapai doesn't get bad like up at big sandy or some of the other popular beaches. The one sandy beach on the island is the main culprit. Really have to watch out for scorpions when you pick stuff up though. We just decided to do it to volunteer & help out the lake that we have had so many good times at.
When the trailers @ T-bar come up for sale, you have to be on the list set up by the trailer village to buy one. There's a '3 strikes rule' (you can only pass up a sale 3 times and then go back to the bottom of the list)and some people have been on the list for 10-15 years! We got lucky in the 3rd year. Prices really vary depending on size, age, condition, awning, etc. but I've never seen one under $10k, and that was a do-over. The space rent is about $325/mo and elect is cheap there. Ours has all I need - a 50' awning to keep the boat, a place to sleep, a kitchen and a BBQ perched out on a nice wooden deck overlooking the lake :) Here's a couple of pics from last season: 2 of the most important things!
My son enjoying dinner on the deck, and the awning..
T-Bar 5.15.10018 480x640.JPG T-Bar 5.15.10019480x640.JPG

when you fly out to temple,dont tell me you have a sea plane too.man im drooling....

lol, I don't, but my next door neighbor out there has a 6 seater, and lives close by us here. There's a landing strip so no need for a sea plane. The guy we bought our trailer from used to fly a twin engine out there. He was part of what we call the 'old guard' @ T-Bar. They had been there almost 50 years, as many of the folks there have or had. Many have passed. Our other next door neighbor just passed away last year, and they were married there @ T-Bar 52 years ago. It's always great to cruise around the park on the cart in the evenings and pop a beer with the real old timers to hear the stories...:cool:

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

haha..Haulapai doesn't get bad like up at big sandy or some of the other popular beaches. The one sandy beach on the island is the main culprit. Really have to watch out for scorpions when you pick stuff up though. We just decided to do it to volunteer & help out the lake that we have had so many good times at.
When the trailers @ T-bar come up for sale, you have to be on the list set up by the trailer village to buy one. There's a '3 strikes rule' (you can only pass up a sale 3 times and then go back to the bottom of the list)and some people have been on the list for 10-15 years! We got lucky in the 3rd year. Prices really vary depending on size, age, condition, awning, etc. but I've never seen one under $10k, and that was a do-over. The space rent is about $325/mo and elect is cheap there. Ours has all I need - a 50' awning to keep the boat, a place to sleep, a kitchen and a BBQ perched out on a nice wooden deck overlooking the lake :) Here's a couple of pics from last season: 2 of the most important things!
My son enjoying dinner on the deck, and the awning..
View attachment 82527 View attachment 82526

lol, I don't, but my next door neighbor out there has a 6 seater, and lives close by us here. There's a landing strip so no need for a sea plane. The guy we bought our trailer from used to fly a twin engine out there. He was part of what we call the 'old guard' @ T-Bar. They had been there almost 50 years, as many of the folks there have or had. Many have passed. Our other next door neighbor just passed away last year, and they were married there @ T-Bar 52 years ago. It's always great to cruise around the park on the cart in the evenings and pop a beer with the real old timers to hear the stories...:cool:

Thats a nice place you got there.Looks like a older one, but well cared for and new stuff all around.Love that wood decking and even the lighting looks cool.I bet theres some really good stories coming from those old guards.Being out at temple theres more wildlife i imagine, and scorpions are always present under my tent in the mornings when we pick up camp. always the little ones but i dont know if there the life threatning ones though.And i have only seen one snake out at mead over the last 20yrs and he was sleeping,just reached down and picked him up didnt know what happened until i had him in my two hands.I guess not many people like the trailers at calville though.maybe theres a list there too but never heard of it, ill ask them next trip.I always hang out with the mechanics who have trailers there who live there full time.Mostly im at the campground or a nice secluded beach somewhere with my german sheppard and family and brother.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Thats a nice place you got there.Looks like a older one, but well cared for and new stuff all around.Love that wood decking and even the lighting looks cool.I bet theres some really good stories coming from those old guards.Being out at temple theres more wildlife i imagine, and scorpions are always present under my tent in the mornings when we pick up camp. always the little ones but i dont know if there the life threatning ones though.And i have only seen one snake out at mead over the last 20yrs and he was sleeping,just reached down and picked him up didnt know what happened until i had him in my two hands.I guess not many people like the trailers at calville though.maybe theres a list there too but never heard of it, ill ask them next trip.I always hang out with the mechanics who have trailers there who live there full time.Mostly im at the campground or a nice secluded beach somewhere with my german sheppard and family and brother.

Thanks,,yea it's an old one alright. I call it a '56 conversion, lol. It does have a room-add and it's an interesting split-level design in the back with a bedroom upstairs and down. Being able to see the lake is cool too.
The dry campground at T-Bar is really pretty nice. The trees are mature and provide plenty of shade. There's also places to hike around there and down to the lake. The summer obviously gets pretty hot to camp there, and I've done it many times, but it's beautiful in spring & fall.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like they continue to "plan" about a foot rise a week for Mead: http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/rivops.html

Awesome. I'll take pics of the T-Bar launch ramp when I'm there this weekend, and talk to the management @ T-Bar to see how they're dealing with moving the docks. I'm sure that's a sore subject...they lose an average of 10' of shoreline with every foot of lake elevation gain. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.