How to determine the right trailer for your boat

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've recently been told that the "proper trailer" for towing your boat is based on the size of your boat. No brainer there. Question I have, is this.....I have a 19' Starcraft Bowrider. I noticed that my transom does hang over my farthest rear rollers by about 1 to 1 1/2 feet. Is that an acceptable distance w/out causing undue stress to the transom? My engine weighs about 300 lbs.. I've towed this boat several times on this trailer (the one in the picture below) but, since mounting the motor, I haven't towed it yet. Does that short distance between the farthest rear rollers and transom really make a difference? I towed a 17' boat on this trailer before and the rollers actually went past the transom by a few inches, enuf to make me wonder if a roller ever fell off, would the stub rub into my hull. So, if any of you have opinions of the proper trailer size, please share them. I'm curious as to whether I should be looking for a longer trailer. I can't imagine it making a big difference, but if it does...it does. My boat is rated for a 175 hp and I'm only using an 85 hp. Thanks for all input.

Chris

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to determine the right trailer for your boat

You indeed have the wrong trailer for two reasons. #1 the last roller or the end of the bunks on a bunk style trailer should be directly under the transom. Rollers should also be positioned laterally so they are in line with internal structure of the boat (longitudinal stringers). the transom and the stringers are strongest parts of the boat. #2 Adding a 300 pound motor to a boat that is already hanging over the last roller puts additional stress on an unsupported transom. I said their were two issues but I will add a third that you may or may not be able to correct for. #3 tongue weight. I can't tell from the picture but it looks like after you add the motor the tonque would not have enough weight to keep it on the ground. Tongue weight should be somewhere between 7 and 10% of the total trailer weight. You add tongue weight by moving the axle backward. You remove tongue weight by moving the axle forward. You can also add tongue weight by moving the boat forward if you can move the winch post. You remove tongue weight by moving the boat backward but it is already hanging over the last roller.

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You indeed have the wrong trailer for two reasons. #1 the last roller or the end of the bunks on a bunk style trailer should be directly under the transom. Rollers should also be positioned laterally so they are in line with internal structure of the boat (longitudinal stringers). the transom and the stringers are strongest parts of the boat. #2 Adding a 300 pound motor to a boat that is already hanging over the last roller puts additional stress on an unsupported transom. I said their were two issues but I will add a third that you may or may not be able to correct for. #3 tongue weight. I can't tell from the picture but it looks like after you add the motor the tonque would not have enough weight to keep it on the ground. Tongue weight should be somewhere between 7 and 10% of the total trailer weight. You add tongue weight by moving the axle backward. You remove tongue weight by moving the axle forward. You can also add tongue weight by moving the boat forward if you can move the winch post. You remove tongue weight by moving the boat backward but it is already hanging over the last roller.

I took a look at the trailer set up and I can adjust two things....#1..the tongue jack can be moved about a foot forward towards the coupler and the winch post can also be moved about a foot and a half towards the coupler. That should compensate for the over hang. Rollers are in a good position as u said. The only concern I had is the overhang. I will adjust accordingly via moving the winch post and I should be all set. Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated.

Chris

chdabren

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took a look at the trailer set up and I can adjust two things....#1..the tongue jack can be moved about a foot forward towards the coupler and the winch post can also be moved about a foot and a half towards the coupler. That should compensate for the over hang. Rollers are in a good position as u said. The only concern I had is the overhang. I will adjust accordingly via moving the winch post and I should be all set. Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated.

Chris

Ok..so I spent some quality time setting my trailer up properly. Wasn't bad at all and came out better than I expected. I move my tongue jack forward a good 6-8" and my winch post a good foot at least. All the rollers are in good position. My rear most rollers are directly under my transom. The boat actually looks better in the new position and the trailer actually seems relaxed. It worked out great!! Thanks for the great advice on the tongue weight thing too.

Chris

ebry710

Ensign

What a great question. I had not thought about reconfiguring a trailer. I will have to look at mine.