Lake Of The Woods - Rainey Lake

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lake Of The Woods - Rainey Lake

Thanks Glen, what is the bottom in the coves.

I was on Table Rock in Missouri last year - the coves were shaped like a V and they were solid rock (Table Rock). Impossible to anchor, put out enough rode and you were on the bank, even if the anchor held, Always put a trip buoy on the anchor there, cause it would snag under a rock and there it would be.

Last edited:

onthelake2010

Seaman

Thanks Glen

Dave,

Also on your question of radio coverage, allot of boaters that travel to remote areas are carrying a satellite phone for those areas that VHF isn't reliable.
You can even rent them on a per month or week basis if you don't want to foot the bill for a one.

onthelake2010

Seaman

Thanks Glen, what is the bottom in the coves.

I was on Table Rock in Missouri last year - the coves were shaped like a V and they were solid rock (Table Rock). Impossible to anchor, put out enough rode and you were on the bank, even if the anchor held, Always put a trip buoy on the anchor there, cause it would snag under a rock and there it would be.

LOTW is on the shield, however, I haven't lost an anchor yet. Bottoms have broken rock surface with mud. There are 50 to 70' MY's anchoring on regular basis.

In a cove we always drop two anchors when we are not in a raft or tie off to shore and anchor her in the middle of the cove.

If you have a look at google earth, you'll see the area with good detial. There are lots of natural beachs if you want to tie her up closer to land and drop a stern anchor 60' from shore.

txtoyman

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info Glen.

If any of you local guys would like to help us travelers look at the application activecaptain.com or check the running thread here - Database Thread