SEI outdrive

dstix11

Recruit
anybody know about this company i need an outdrive and they are so much cheaper than everyone else is there a problem with them, and how is the warranty

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: SEI outdrive

I've got one. Noisy right out of the box but slowly getting quieter as the gears break in. Works fine so far after 40 hours.

90 Carver Montego 21' "Suspicious Behaviour"

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hey dstx, welcome aboard!!

I have moved this over to our I/O section. Lots of SEI experience here including myself. They are available for purchase here it iboats as well.

FWIW, I had a noisy genuine Mercruiser Alpha as well, never quieted down and I got good service out of it.

zbnutcase

Commander

Good value for the money, great for older boats. Every one I have installed has been noisy, but yet to see a failure. And the finish doesn't hold up too well in saltwater, but you get what you pay for! Playskool drives, I call 'em. 'nutcase

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I've had a couple, and other than the paint, I've never had an issue.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

This will be season 3 on my SEI lower, and it did whine when new but is almost gone now. Paint is holding just fine, but mine lives on a trailer.

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have thought about getting one also. The only thing that makes me hesitant is parts. I can't just go to my merc dealser. I guess you guys order gaskets and stuff online? How do you guys get your parts for maintenance?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The SEI drives accept all the merc parts.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am heading into season 2 on my sei106, got 100 hrs on the drive with no problems. Paint is holding up ok, spend about 4 weeks in the salt last summer then lives on a trailer the rest of the time.
Drive was noisy for the first 20-30 hrs, make sure a change the oil after about 10hrs of running time (not counting trolling time), get that metal out of there. At about 60-70 hours mine is pretty quite. At this time I would purchase another one and it has a 3 year warrenty.
Also I have been told all oem parts will fit this outdrive. Shipping was prompt and quick. I life in Oregon and I think I got the drive within 5-6 days of ordering it. Make sure you read the direction this drive does not take the shift shaft bushing.