Why are boats righthand drive?

cr2k

Captain
Re: Why are boats righthand drive?

A lot of early inboards were V-drives so the prop torque was LH not RH.

How does this skew your thoughts.

Sharp Shooter

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of early inboards were V-drives so the prop torque was LH not RH.

How does this skew your thoughts.

V-drive boats from the 50's and 60's were rigged either way. And In general, the steering post/wheel was on the left side. ;)

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

:eek: wow, this is an interesting thread...it seems that Chris Craft went all the way into the early 70's with port side controls

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

My $1,2M Riva is left hand drive.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• my Riva.jpg
    my Riva.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

and what funny is smclear is so stupidly funny he actually agreed and disagreed with me in the same paragraph.

starboard,steerboard, smearboard, all that was blow boat stuff.

the key in the past 40 years is ergonomics and as most folks in the US are right handed and most like to hold that throttle handle with the right hand thats why most hulls of the past 40 years for the mass market are right hand drive.
its as simple as that.
ABYA,USCG USCG AUX, none care what side its driven from, they could care less.
as I do.
however if you're selling widjets to wally world and your widjet is less ergonomic than the compeditors widjet, guess who goes bankrupt?
most likly, Chris,John and Gar were right handed.
and you so wrong on so many points its almost, in fact it is, laughable.
but thanks for agreeing with my marketing thing.

Thanks for being an adult and calling me or my ideas stupid. And, I never agreed with your assertion that it was driven by Marketing. I said it was predominately driven by the fact that most people are right handed. In this point, I agree. Marketing as you suggested, had nothing to do with it. And please let me know where I am "so wrong on so many points".

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since this question comes up several times each year, and people don't want to search the forum, I've saved this to my computer so that I can re-post it when appropriate...

--
Modern boat design, like many things, has its roots based on history.

Back in the old days, before powerboats, the captain steered his sailboat (or rowboat, such as Vikings' longboats) from the right side, as most folks are predominantly right-handed. The captain also navigated from this helm position, often using his sextant to gauge the stars at night. Thus, the right-hand side of the boat became known as the "steering board", and later as "starboard".

Since the helm was positioned on the right-hand side of the boat, this left the left-hand side of the boat with an empty space in which to carry cargo. The boat would arrive at port with that side of the boat to the dock so that cargo could be easily loaded/unloaded. Thus, the left-hand side of the boat became known as "port".

As boats became more numerous, there arose the need for traffic rules. Since the captain/helm was on the starboard side, maritime rules were developed to take advantage of this fact. Hence, the captain is able to see other boats on his right and is able to "give way", whereas with highly-stacked cargo on the port side, a captain may not see boats on his port side, so he has the "right-of-way". Green and red lighting then followed suit in this manner. These rules also formed the basis for land-based traffic rules which came much later. This is why you "give way" or "yield" to the person on your right (right-of-way) when you meet at right angles at an unmarked intersection in your car/truck.

Later, as motorboats came into existance, the engineers, realizing that in an empty boat most of the weight is concentrated at the helm (starboard side), designed props (actually, the propshafts) to rotate in a clockwise fashion (when viewed from the rear of the boat), so that prop torque would be somewhat cancelled by the weight of the helm. As you know, or at least now realize, counter-clockwise rotating props were/are designed to counteract prop torque in twin-engine setups.

Now, why were there LH-steering boats? These became popular after WWII, when the country (USA, that is) prospered, people had money, and manufacturers wanted to get people into boats. The easiest way, they figured, was to configure the boat much like an automobile, so that new boaters would not be intimidated. A typical case where marketing dominated over "form follows function", and resulted in boats that likely performed below what they optimally could have.

Anyway, that is my $0.01 <=== deflation (bad economy, ya know)

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think that's quite correct. It goes back much, much further than the propeller does. I believe it dates back to the days when boats were controlled by the "steering board". Basically, the steering board was a rudder most commonly attached on the right side of the boat (since most people are right handed). This is also where the term starboard came from. Now when a boat was brought in to port, it was tied up on the opposite side of the steering board (or the left side). This is where the term "port side" came from.

When europeans went to sea, they sailed east. the north star that they navigated by was on the STAR-BOARD side. When returning home to port, the north star was on the PORT side.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

When europeans went to sea, they sailed east. the north star that they navigated by was on the STAR-BOARD side. When returning home to port, the north star was on the PORT side.

Wouldn't they have run into shore that way?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Now, why were there LH-steering boats? These became popular after WWII, when the country (USA, that is) prospered, people had money, and manufacturers wanted to get people into boats. The easiest way, they figured, was to configure the boat much like an automobile, so that new boaters would not be intimidated. Anyway, that is my $0.01 <=== deflation (bad economy, ya know)

As I previously posted, LH drives were most predominant in the 1920's and '30's, and then on inboard powered boats. Not too many factory built boats after WWII built that way.