Can my boat go into the ocean???? *PICS*

jmj120

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Can my boat go into the ocean???? *PICS*

We were fishing an oil well off the coast of Alabama once and 3 guys pulled up in a 14 foot flatbottom boat with a tiller stear 20 horse Johnson. No joke. About 10 miles off the coast.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey I live on a caribbean island so most of my boating is ocean going, I have been out in open water in a 15footer, with way less freeboard than you have. the only thing i dont like is your open bow, but there are bow covers for that.
however from the tone of your question, I believe that you dont have ocean going experience, and as such you may not have the equipment required for your safety offshore. If u guys are really up for an adventure, maybe u can prepare your boat for it. however if its just the one trip, then the cost of outfitting the boat may not be worth it. But then that depends on which ocean you mean. If its the gulf side its a lot easier. however i had some scary moments on the Florida Atlantic coast. so its up to you guys to weigh the pros and cons. if its one fishing trip may be better to pay for a charter. if its a long term plan then consider outfitting the boat to suit. and dont venture too far on your first trip, gain experience cautiously. might be an idea to still go out on a charter first though, because not every one has the stomach for small boats in ocean water.

:D

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

I don't think you should take it out for some 'deep sea fishing', but here's a different reason. Where would you go once you got out there? Are you familiar with the good fishing grounds? I'm sure you heard guys talking about this area or that area, and while it sounds great to go there and reel in some big-uns, chances are, you won't find those areas. And you will doubtfully be pulling in some trophies. Let's say that after all the posts, you decide that you want to do it, but you are smart enough to realize that taking on this journey will require some proper new equipment for your boat. So you go buy what will give that added security, to the tune of probably $300-$1000. You may not have the right tackle/rods, etc. for this trip, so there is another $400 (mediocre+ equipment). Minimum you're at $700, and you have no fish yet, and most likely won't catch what will fulfill the dreams. If you do get lucky (fishing is alot of luck), and hit a big one, you'll quickly realize your boat was not designed with this sport in mind. Blood in the carpet, scales embedded in the carpet, gut from your bait or chum that got stepped on embedded in the carpet. The girls will not really want to go out on your stinky-carpet boat. There goes your sexlife.

Now, let's take a charter by a professional captain. Taking people out into the ocean to fulfill their fishing dreams is what he does. Everyday. For $600 average charter (saving $100 already), he will take you where the fish have historically been for him. You and your buddy get to kickback and chat, drink beer, laugh, and enjoy while the first mate gets all the tackle and bait ready for you. You'll land fish all afternoon most likely. You'll have had a great, safe, fun, memorable time, you'll have stories for years, and your boat won't smell. Now you are someone who landed a big fish, and no stinky carpet boat, so the chicks are going to trip over themselves to go on your boat with such a great fisherman/boater as yourself. Heck, since it doesn;t cost extra, bring some girls with you on the charter. They make the boat look fantastic when they wear bikinis, they'll watch you in action, and maybe they'll need help reeling one in when it's their turn!

Your boat = no fish / stinky carpet boat = no girls

Charter = Fish-a-plenty = Instant stud with unstinky boat = Girls, girls, girls

Matter settled!! :D

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

uhmm,...Davey Jones can't wait for that boat to go INTO the ocean.....lol...just a joke,...God forbid...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 2006 bayliner, 3.0l 135 hp mercruiser inboard motor. It's a wakeboarding boat. But my friend wants to go deep sea fishing... Was wondering if this would be a good idea and will salt ruin the engine as well. Will the boat sink? Have you done it before? Thanks in advance.

1644782-2.jpg

1644782-1.jpg

tell your friend to buy an ocean fishing boat...thats not what your boat is designed for...

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Beefer has my vote for president!!!!!

If your going Tampa/st.Pete area try here:

http://www.hubbardsmarina.com/

4hr. trip is less than a tank of gas, and you can checkout what you will be up against in your boat. If your hardcore fishermen then take the all day trip. Runs out 90 miles or so to deep/blue water and you'll catch fish even the crew doesn't know. You can sell the fish you don't want and a lot of guys pay for the trip. (not enough for the beer, just the trip):D

Hey, Florida has great freshwater fishing too, or you can run your boat on the inter-coastal and have a great time.

offshore, running alone, open bow.:eek: