What size fuel tank do you have.

Kender

Seaman Apprentice
This is more for the small boat owners, say 20ish feet or shorter. I am trying to decide how many gallons of fuel to carry on board. Depending on how many gallons the size of the tank, number of tanks, and location of tank can change. I have a small boat and if the fuel amount is above a certain amount the tank sizing will change the seating configuration of my boat. I have a 15ft tri-hull with a 88hp evinrude. I know that each motor is different and what you use it for will change the fuel use. If you could please respond with size/hull config of your boat, engine size, outboard or not, what you use it for, what type of water you operate in (chappy ocean/calm lakes/small wave costal barrier islands/etc.), and how many gallons total do you have. I have the ability, with the right config, to carry a lot of fuel in just 2 tanks but I don't know if I am going overboard (no pun) or not.

I wouldn't normally worry about this so soon but since it impacts my seating arrangement I need to lay out the build.

Thanks
DJ

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What size fuel tank do you have.

11 gallons of fuel
6 gallon tank and a 5 gallon backup in front
16' bowrider w/ 70hp Johnny

Philster

Captain

Had 18-gallon capacity via three tanks on my ol' 18' Chappy with 2-stroker 115 Evinrude.

Rarely used more than 12 (skiing, tubing, cruising all day).

Often, I ditched one for a cooler.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

A single 60 gallon under the console.

superbenk

Commander

Most boats I've seen in the 18-20' range have 25-30 gallon tanks (including mine). More than that & I'd be concerned about weight.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

Most boats I've seen in the 18-20' range have 25-30 gallon tanks (including mine). More than that & I'd be concerned about weight.

Thats not entirely true..Mine is an 20'Aquasport and hold 45 Gallons..My old searay with cuddy only had a 30....My friend had a 20 Grady White that had 80 gallons....go figure..

Superbenk is right about concerns in weight i would check boat spec...i would hate to see you overload or cause other issues....

superbenk

Commander

Thats not entirely true..Mine is an 20'Aquasport and hold 45 Gallons..My old searay with cuddy only had a 30....My friend had a 20 Grady White that had 80 gallons....go figure..

Superbenk is right about concerns in weight i would check boat spec...i would hate to see you overload or cause other issues....

Well, what I said was entirely true, actually... "most boats I've seen in the 18-20' range...". I realize that was a generalization. Seems from what you're saying and what BLU LUNCH with the 60 gallon tank above who appears to have center-consoles that the larger tanks are more prevalent on small boats intended for larger water fishing where you're more interested in length of run time than speed & performance.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Different boats, different intended uses.

The Aquasport and Grady are designed for fishing. They can cover a lot of water in a typical fishing day. Grady's get taken offshore a lot, too. They need the capacity and have the hull designs to carry the weight.

The Searay cuddy wouldn't typically be used that way. It might be able to carry the weight okay, but it's built to maximize passenger room. It's a day boat.

Express cruisers like mine usually fall in the middle- we don't typically go real far from home, but might spend a couple days cruising from destination to destination. Mid-20-footers will generally have capacity in the 60-90 gallon range (mine holds 90 and that's way higher than average for a 24').

The OP is talking about a 15-foot tri-hull. It's only suitable for use in fairly calm in-shore or near-shore water anyway, so his fuel requirement is going to be much less. Those running similar boats will have the best take on it.

My .02

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

18' v-hull bowrider with 115 evinrude outboard
20 gallon built in tank

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Well, what I said was entirely true, actually... "most boats I've seen in the 18-20' range...". I realize that was a generalization. Seems from what you're saying and what BLU LUNCH with the 60 gallon tank above who appears to have center-consoles that the larger tanks are more prevalent on small boats intended for larger water fishing where you're more interested in length of run time than speed & performance.
I forgot also my 1975 Wellcraft V-17 has a 30 gallons under the console.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

16.5 ft, 17.5 ft LOA.
32 gallon tank
Merc 175hp 2 stroke (thirsty little engine!)

1/10th your HP is roughly your max rated gallons per hour. How you use your boat is the sole deciding factor in how much fuel you need though.

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class

An 18 to 20 gallon tank should be plenty for a 15' boat.

That should get you about a 60 mile range....assuming 4 MPG/15 gallons=60.
(3 to 5 gallons as a "get home" reserve)
Your mileage will vary.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

My '95 Sailfish 176 CC (17.5 Ft) has a 65 gallon tank amidships

Was designed and built in Florida for the long trips :)

Attachments

• 176-CC.jpg
    176-CC.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

My bad on the generalization... The point i was trying to make is that not all 18-20 foot boats are built equally. As jolin mentioned, different boats for different strokes... What I was hoping didn't happen was that the OP saw many boats with various capacities and then assume if one boat can handle it that another one must be able to as well.

My friend who i boat with on the rivers here has a 15ft, v hull with a 12 gallon tank, he runs a 70 hp and we usually can go almost all day on that and still have room to spare.

In the end, i would be sure the boat specs allow more feul, if that is what the OP was looking to fond out. If the boats design was a 20 gal tank then I for one would not go exceeding that or i would bring a jerry jug for spare should I need more..

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

In the end, i would be sure the boat specs allow more fuel, if that is what the OP was looking to fond out. If the boats design was a 20 gal tank then I for one would not go exceeding that or i would bring a jerry jug for spare should I need more..

What I see in boat spec's is they give dry weights both in boat weight and capacity. Although I have a 65 gallon tank, the 1200# capacity, persons, motor and gear does not define the 440 pounds of fuel. However I must assume the fuel is in the motor and gear category. Therefore, 350# for the motor and 440# for the motor leaves me 410# for everything else. (I really need to call Sailfish and ask about that)

On my 16 footer I used to carry three 6 Gal tanks (it had a 40hp) to take me where I wanted to go every day.

Attachments

• capacity.jpg
    capacity.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

What I see in boat spec's is they give dry weights both in boat weight and capacity. Although I have a 65 gallon tank, the 1200# capacity, persons, motor and gear does not define the 440 pounds of fuel. However I must assume the fuel is in the motor and gear category. Therefore, 350# for the motor and 440# for the motor leaves me 410# for everything else. (I really need to call Sailfish and ask about that)

On my 16 footer I used to carry three 6 Gal tanks (it had a 40hp) to take me where I wanted to go every day.

That's a good point. 1 Gallon = 8.35 lbs so, 65 gal = 543 lbs....if your tag says 1200 pound or 6 people...then I assume you throw a guy overboard for evey half tank...

I would think dry weight for the boat (in specs) must factor the weight of the gas or must be calculated (hidden) in there. The boat will need fuel, and a motor + gear is stated on the tag....

PWH1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

16' Glastron open bow.
90 Johnson SPL.
16 Gallon internal tank.

We use our boat on inland lakes for skiing, tubing and some fishing.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Actually water weighs 8.35 pounds per gallon, gasoline weighs in at about 6.25 pounds per gallon, that is why it floats on water. Could be a little more for 2-cycle gas

Be well

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

I was never good at weights and measures...and I am not smarter than a fifth grader....