1980 Sunbird Cuddy Cabin - Advise for buy...

Nandy

Commander
1980 Sunbird Cuddy Cabin, 20.0 feet 150 hp Mercury inline 6, driver's window has a crack.

Questions:
How much do you think that boat is worth if all checks good? I know each area is different, but I really cant find much to compare this boat with. Nada does not goes back to 1980.

Does it sounds underpowered? I think a 150 might not be enough, but if someone is familiar with the rig and can give me an idea. I will sea trial of course.

Thanks!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1980 Sunbird Cuddy Cabin - Advise for buy...

Any links or pics Nandy?

I will be glad to ride with you to check it out.
Those inline 6 motors had tons of low end grunt to them..

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I had an '84 Sunbird Cuddy 19' and it was powered by a Volvo AQ125a and still ran 30mph and pulled a Skier. I think the Volvo was 115hp so the 150 should be fine for that boat. She handled rough water very well and was a solid boat until she overheated and I burned up some valves. Bought a new toon and sold her.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sunbird's are on the quality scale with Bayliner so check carefully for rot. They were nice looking boats though. A 150 should push it pretty good.

MikDee

Banned

Sunbird's are on the quality scale with Bayliner so check carefully for rot. They were nice looking boats though. A 150 should push it pretty good.

I totally agree! ;)

striper2101

Seaman Apprentice

I had a 1990 sunbird 20' cuddy - I think is was a Barletta 204. It had 120 Johnson which was adequate, the 150 should be perfect. The boat was 10 years old when I got and was still very solid, sold it 4 years later for what I paid. I paid $4500 in 2000. I do remember that the wiring was a mess though.

Nandy

Commander

Anyone can advise about price? This one is in ebay and its 1500 right now. I don't think It is worth more than that in this economy but I might be wrong. I'm in my blackberry so I don't have the ebay auction. If you search for the title description and add NC I bet it will be shown. Auction ends sat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Item #130308428770.

I looked at it. Looks really good. Definitely a fun, versatile boat. Hell, I'd probably go to $2500 on it if wood condition and compression check out as that's a real nice motor.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

That looks exactly like mine did but I had an I/O. Kids called her R2-D2. I added a set of Smart Tabs and she handled rough water like a dream.

Nandy

Commander

I must be really slow, but I just realized this is a ib to ob conversion. Anyone has a take on those? I know there are an alternative but since I never used one... Anyone has an insider input as the pros and cons? That might be a deal breaker for me, I hate to do the 4 hours round trip...

MikDee

Banned

I must be really slow, but I just realized this is a ib to ob conversion. Anyone has a take on those? I know there are an alternative but since I never used one... Anyone has an insider input as the pros and cons? That might be a deal breaker for me, I hate to do the 4 hours round trip...

An I/O to OB? Who said that? :confused: That's even better if done right, in a 20' Cuddy there ain't much cockpit room, with an I/O. I bet that frees up a lot! Hardly any winterizing needed!, easier to work on! lighter in the back end. By the way, underpowered, I don't think so, I'd bet it's at least a 40-45mph boat. If it was nearby me, I'd definitely take a look ;)

Wait, Nandy you're confusing me, we're talking about 2 different boats? a red one, and a blue one? Either way, I think they are a few steps above a Bayliner.

Last edited:

Nandy

Commander

Is a blue boat. I'm also a fan of ob for all the reasons u said. What made me think twice about the conversion is "has it been done right?", what are the cons? And What to look for in this type conversions. The previous owner advice this owner to add a hydrofoil. That leads me to believe there might be some handling issues.

MikDee

Banned

Is a blue boat. I'm also a fan of ob for all the reasons u said. What made me think twice about the conversion is "has it been done right?", what are the cons? And What to look for in this type conversions. The previous owner advice this owner to add a hydrofoil. That leads me to believe there might be some handling issues.

Well the blue one has a Gill bracket on it, so that should not be a problem, it APPEARS to be done right, but I doubt you're gonna get either boat dirt cheap, reasonable maybe? I think they'll hold their price better then a Bayliner.

Wassachu

Seaman Apprentice

I used to subscribe to Power Boat Reports for years. PBR's was a Consumer Reports type magazine that tested boats and marine equipment. They did an article on Sunbird of about that time and the results were not good. Not a good quality boat. Be Aware! Have a Marine Surveyor look it over good. Can't remember the details. Sorry!

Nandy

Commander

OMG, where to start...
This darn thing has been jerry rigged big time. The previous owner either had a welding shop or good access to it.
First, lets start with the motor... That is no gill bracket. Someone made a bracket that attaches to the old out drive housing. That is what is holding the motor and is used as power tilt. Now I understand why the previous owner suggested a hydrofoil. The "new" pump she mention is not that new, probably they replaced the old one with another used one..
IMG00083-20090529-1154.jpg

IMG00089-20090529-1202.jpg

IMG00085-20090529-1201.jpg

Nandy

Commander

There is a seat permanently attached to the cabin hutch. The cabin is not too big and will sleep 2 not too confi. There are leaks in the 2 windows and there is no door to the cabin.
IMG00090-20090529-1203.jpg

The gelcoat is gone, that is not oxydation, there is not waxing this one to bring it back.
IMG00091-20090529-1205.jpg

The passenger console is a cut out of some other boat, the base is made of 1 inch plywood covered with some non-marine carpet which is the same under the skipper console which dont look too great...
IMG00086-20090529-1201.jpg

IMG00088-20090529-1201.jpg

The deck is also made of that 1 inch plywood covered by the same non-marine carpet. Of course, the plywood was just dropped in top of the deck as I could see the old deck in the corners that were too much work to cover.

If you look at the ebay photo you can see some brackets next to windshield and in the stern. I can only guess those are for some home made bimini cover.

The trailer did not look too bad except for the add ons.
IMG00092-20090529-1205.jpg

I could not check the motor as it had an active paper wasp nest in it so I could not check the transom. The motor looked banged up from the outside but that is not the most important part. I could see how the cables going into the motor had the cover rotten so I can only imagine inside... I could be wrong, but I could not check.

This thing would have had potential before all this rigging was done. It has good space in it now that there is not a doghouse in it. I still think space could have been used better. Now is just too much work to do right what was done wrong. The previous owner even took time to scratch the specs in the capacity plate. God knows if this are the real specs or not. If they are, the boat is 35 hp over powered. If the motor is fine I could get it just for the motor but I aint paying 1.5 K+ for that... So I am running away from this one.... Best $25 gas money I have invested... Im sure that if the top bidder is real (i have my suspicions) he/she will be very disapointed and would not be surprised if it back out of it.

I will take photos down later, but I was at a loss of words and know my limited English was not enough to described this rig...

What do you all think?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What do you all think?

I think that is one of the most awesomely bad boats I have seen!!!!!

They mounted the outboard to the outdrive!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You need to start a new thread for this. EVERYONE NEEDS to see this!!!

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

OMG!!!!!! I would actually like to see that thing on the water.. Call it Frankenboat..

Interesting that the photos did not show how the motor was mounted.

Nandy

Commander

Sorry guys, I added some stuff after I posted as I remembered it... She was stutering a bit last night as I started questioning how the conversion was done. $1500, so far. If the buyer pays for that he is nuts...

Nandy

Commander

Interesting that the photos did not show how the motor was mounted.

I asked her, but she stuttered a bit and went to tell me how well the other guy did the job. She sounds like a nice lady, but I dont think she knows what she is selling... Then the stutter makes me wonder the other way...