Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Bimini Mounting brackets on Fiberglass.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Bimini Mounting brackets on Fiberglass.

I've got a 1990 Bayliner Capri. First boat for me, so I'm still learning.This boat came with a full cover pre-installed, so it basically if I get caught in a storm, I can cover up completely, and still stay dry.Anyway, a couple of the plastic mounting brackets, for the top supports broke. Partially due to age, partially do to operator frustration. ;-)Anyway, I purchased some really nice stainless steel mounting brackets, that give it 360 deg. swivel capability, and is much stronger than the plastic ones. My question is, I can reuse one of the holes in the hull, but need to drill a new hole for the other one. What's the techinque for doing this? I assume I need a pilot hole, just like if it was wood...is that all?I'm in IA, so is temperature a factor too? Only drill in warm weather..etc.Again, probably an easy one for most of you, but I'm truly learning as I go.thanks,dorelse
    My Boat:
    1978 Glastron Carlson CVZ-18
    Project Thread - https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357939

1986 Bayliner Capri 1600 - SOLD
    Project Thread - https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338265

Re: Installing Bimini Mounting brackets on Fiberglass.

I have a 90 capri also. Drilling thru fiberglass is not difficult. Sharp bit and let the drill do the work is how I've managed to get nice clean holes where I need em. I ditched the all weather cover and installed a bimini which is more functional for my type of use. I had to completely install new brackets, so by having an existing hole to use....you've most of the work done. What I would do is fasten the bracket to the hull using the existing hole. I'd get the bracket positioned exactly where I'd want it. I'd also check the inside of the hull to see where I'm going to be drilling through to to ensure I'm not going to go through anything I shouldn't. Then, I'd use the sharp bit and using the hole in the bracket as a guide, I'd drill the hole needed. I'd also recommend using a washer on the backside of the hole and then the nut.Lemme know how this works out for you.

Comment

Hey, thanks for the info. I'll be using the supplied screws...so I shouldn't have to drill all the way through. Any difference?Not that it matters, but I see you're from Sacramento. Visited the Train museum a couple times a year. I used to live in Tracy, CA, but my sons allergies to the fruit tree pollen forced a move back to the Midwest. The ragweed pollen doesn't bother him as much.Sorry strayed off topic a bit.
      My Boat:

Comment

Drilling does not hurt fiberglass at all. Baldguy gave you good advise to use ss nuts & bolts rather than screws.

Comment

Throw the screws away and use SS bolts, nuts and washers.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm off to the hardware store to get some bolts.thanks again.
            My Boat:

Comment

You might also want to install a plywood backing plate before the washers and nuts, to spread the load out across more of the fiberglass.

Comment

What blacksmoke says is true, a big gust of wing really stresses the glass and you may get some hairline cracks.
                Arrr matey!
                2005 411 Meridian "Black Aye"
                330 Cummins / ZF's

Comment

Guys, I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri that i'd like to put a bimini on. Looking at getting the Westmoreland with sharkskin. The question I have is how hard is it to install? Do I need a buddy to help me? How long should it take? Are the instructions that come with the top enough?
                  Thanks!

Comment

Dorelse: Drill a pilot hole, then be certain to drill the correct sized hole for the screw shank. Fiberglass does not forgive even a slightly undersized hole and it is so difficult to screw in under this circumstance that it is possible to twist off the screw.

Also, be certain to chamfer the hole edge with a countersink, or lacking that, a larger drill. Chamfer so that the full thickness of the gelcoat is relieved. This will keep the gelcoat from chipping and splitting off as the screw enters.

Comment

Originally posted by sfborn View Post
                      Guys, I have a 1987 Bayliner Capri that i'd like to put a bimini on. Looking at getting the Westmoreland with sharkskin. The question I have is how hard is it to install? Do I need a buddy to help me? How long should it take? Are the instructions that come with the top enough?
                      Thanks!
                      .. hey sf.

generally a new thread is required so no to hijack the o/p. but here is a link to a post on the topic you mention. pm me or start a new thread if you need further info.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=257525
                      86' Capri 1950 BR
                      Force 125hp
                      Desert Southwest

Comment

Originally posted by magster65 View Post
                        What blacksmoke says is true, a big gust of wing really stresses the glass and you may get some hairline cracks.
                        Wow, I knew the glass was thin on those models - is it really that bad?
                        sigpic
                        Nothing is so broken that Government can't make it worse.

Comment

Working...
                        X