What Key Boating Items Should I have?

BigB9k

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
Long time boater here, just looking for new ideas.
I'm finishing up a 14' boat powered by a small Evinrude outboard.
I want to make a little pouch to hold important items; things like the coast guard mandated whistle.
...what else do you think I should have?

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have no idea where you are boating , which may change the answer.

But a flashlight , waterproof matches, knife and a portable VHF radio are always in a backpack I keep on my boat .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boaters safety course card in your wallet is the most important think a new boater can have.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
You need to give us LOTS of additional info... Where do you boat, what size of water, what are you doing on the water?

In my particular location, VHF radios are worthless. About the only use would be to throw it at someone if they aren't noticing that I need help. In other areas, radios are life and death.

dschild

Seaman Apprentice
Pictures of fish you can say you caught and a list of excuses you can use to tell the wife why you had to buy another thing for the boat. :)

roffey

Commander
Pictures of fish you can say you caught and a list of excuses you can use to tell the wife why you had to buy another thing for the boat. :)

OK here's a tip... you buy the new widget, this works for tools and just stuff you buy because you want it. Keep it for a few weeks and then you bring it out into the light of day and your significant other notices your new purchase you say what that old thing, I got it a while back...

to answer the OP, I keep a spare prop and things to put it on with like spare cotter pin and pliers to take the old stuff off (I have a 9.9 Evinrude)

Last edited:

tramsdell

Banned
Jon boat days , i used to keep a sealed 5 gal pail containing basic safety crap as well as a raincoat, pliers, prop pin, sunscreen, good quality flashlight, extra fuel pump, spark plug wrench(out of a snowmobile tool kit) and two fresh spark plugs. Other than that just make sure your oars and life jacket are up to snuff and that your cooler is iced well! Also, USE YOUR SAFETY TETHER!! Too many ppl make excuses as to why the shouldn't or won't. This is a decision that affects everyone around you more than yourself.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Basics, extra spark plugs, crescent wrench, vise grips, black tape, just general items.

Had the same boat for 15 years and I am still add stuff as situations come up, so you don't know you need it till you do.

The majority of the trip ending issues I have come across are parts related, starter goes out, lower unit explodes, ect, stuff you can't foresee or plan for, hardly going to carry an extra lower unit, that was the last part to fail me.

Just stuff that will give you a chance to get back to the launch, a good dose of karma in the bank is always a plus.....