Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

2019 Winterization Test for Mid-west/Northern Central USA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Winterization Test for Mid-west/Northern Central USA

Looks like boat owners in those areas of the US are going to get a good test of their (or their boat shop's) winterization procedures over the next few days. -20 F to -30 F in the Dakotas and Great Lakes areas, wind chills in the -40 to -50 range.

Should be a good test of how well the boats/engines were winterized.
    Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
    Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
    Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Assuming boats are stored outdoors in in unheated spaces, why would this stretch of extreme, sub zero cold be different than a stretch of sub freezing weather with respect to winerization efficacy? Is there more than water/ice to be concerned with?

I'd like to know because that icy wind is heading our way.
    Last edited by Lancer76; January 29th, 2019, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Even a 1/4 cup of water can break things. You had to make positively sure all the water was out. Now is to late. The rest just takes care of itself.
      If ya can't fix it with a hammer,ya got yourself an electrical problem.

Comment

Of course, Canada too . . .

Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer76 View Post
          Assuming boats are stored outdoors in in unheated spaces, why would this stretch of extreme, sub zero cold be different than a stretch of sub freezing weather with respect to winterization efficacy? Is there more than water/ice to be concerned with?

I'd like to know because that icy wind is heading our way.
          Mostly due to partial or improper winterization using the Pink ( - 50 F ) antifreeze, not fully draining, etc. For those keeping AF in their engines, probably would need the -75 F or -100 F stuff.

Comment

There will be another batch of busted blocks in the south too.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	south-busted-blocks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	10700558
            Last edited by Scott Danforth; January 29th, 2019, 05:51 AM.
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Wind chill does not matter on metal parts.------Frozen is frozen.--

Comment

My boat engine has survived these temps with complete block draining and leaving it dry. I'm more concerned with my upholstery. I helped my pal pull his engine last winter in my garage. He knelt on his sundeck/engine lid and "crack". Oops, add another $300 repair.

I remove my bow and rear bench cushions and pedestal seats and store them inside. But my sundeck/seat back lid had a solid block of ice inside it's lower edge when I pulled my battery earlier. Apparently it caught some rain last fall and never drained. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping it doesn't split open before spring.
                '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                  There will be another batch of busted blocks in the south too.
                  I know a few of those who say it doesn't get cold enough down here. Self-draining outboards are nice.

BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
                  Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                  That is what the forums are for.
                  Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by tpenfield View Post

Mostly due to partial or improper winterization using the Pink ( - 50 F ) antifreeze, not fully draining, etc. For those keeping AF in their engines, probably would need the -75 F or -100 F stuff.
                    If all the water was truly out, why would the -50 stuff not be OK if the air temperature only got to -30 outside?

(yes I know it gets slushy, but if its a quality product the burst temp is -50)
                    2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
                    2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
                    2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                    1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
                    1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
                    1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
                    69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by JimS123 View Post

If all the water was truly out, why would the -50 stuff not be OK if the air temperature only got to -30 outside?

(yes I know it gets slushy, but if its a quality product the burst temp is -50)
                      I would say that if there were any water in there at all, it will mix with the AF, lowering it's protection rated temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by poconojoe View Post

I would say that if there were any water in there at all, it will mix with the AF, lowering it's protection rated temperature.
                        I did the A/F thing for the first few years I owned our boat. Then I stopped. Reading "air doesn't freeze" numerous times on this forum makes the most sense. I've got a simple '96 4.3 with no single point drains. Poking the block drains, and working the hoses has never failed me.
                        '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

Okay. I (thankfully) don't have antifreeze in the block (and Lord willing no water either). I can see how AF filled blocks may succumb to the deep freeze temps that are forecasted.

Storing a boat outdoors every year in Maine brings a certain level of excitement with it. So far, so good. I think I've got the water removal trick down, but, come spring, you find out for sure.

For those in the midwest - stay warm and keep covered up!

Comment

I do both. I know, I'm probably wasting my money.
                            I warm the boat up with the muffs, switch to the pink stuff (I made a wye hose with valves connected to a bucket), run a few gallons of it, shut it down and drain everything. I pour the pink stuff into the front engine hoses. Watch it come out the stern drive. Watch it come out my open engine drains. I pull the thermostat, I can usually see that there is already pink stuff in the intake, but I pour more in there anyway.
                            I leave my drain plugs out. Put them in a ziplock bag with my garboard plug and tape the bag to the steering wheel. I use electrical tape backwards so the steering wheel doesn't get sticky.
                            The boat just fits in my attached but unheated garage. So no worry about rain, ice or snow.

Comment

Originally posted by poconojoe View Post

That's quite true. If you got water left and you add AF you might only have protection to -40, or -30, or -20. But if you have water left and you DON"T add AF you surely will have protection at a freekin +32....!!

Or, maybe there will be only enough water to not be a problem.

As a famous movie actor once said..."Are you feelin' lucky?"
                              2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
                              2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
                              2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                              1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
                              1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
                              1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
                              69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Working...
                              X