Trying to get a value on a bayliner

Bradmxz

Seaman
Hi guys and girls. Like the title says I’m trying to figure out what a boat is worth. It’s a 2013 bayliner br170. It has no engine. The owner is keeping the engine for his new boat. So you see my quandary. If you could give me some ideas of what this boat would be worth with a trailer and without would be good please and thank you. The reason behind the with a trailer and without is I asked if the trailer went with the boat, the reply was yes and then later in the conversation the trailer came out of the deal.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
$1 without a trailer

seriously, not more than $1

with the trailer, $300 less than the value of the trailer because you would have to dispose of the boat.

Bradmxz

Seaman
Haha ok. I was thinking if I could get the boat and trailer I could find an outboard for it in the spring or summer. But without the trailer I think it isn’t worth it.

tpenfield

Staff member

Using NADA , no engine no trailer I get $8K, which seems a bit high. The cost of an engine would be about $5K.

EDIT: Any particular reason why you want to punish yourself in this manner.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Is the boat currently in IO boat or an OB boat? If it's an IOmissing the motor, it is not worth anything.

also, if it is an IO Boat, mounting an outboard will make it absolutely worthless

Bradmxz

Seaman
It’s an outboard boat. I tried using nada but it never gave me an option for no engine. That price though seems really high to me. That’s what I was thinking for the engine about $5000.

Bradmxz

Seaman
Haha I just seen your edit. The last boat I had was a I/o that had no engine. That was punishment

tpenfield

Staff member
It’s an outboard boat. I tried using nada but it never gave me an option for no engine. That price though seems really high to me. That’s what I was thinking for the engine about $5000.

I put in a 3 hp engine into NADA (the lowest option) and chose no trailer. It gave me a $6K deduction for the engine. I figure that was about right.

southkogs

Staff member
What's the current owner asking for it? LOL ... if it's still sittin' there in several months you might get close to Scott's $1 offer :)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Like any boat, it's all about condition. is it possible to post some pictures? There are a lot of people that bash Bayliner. I understand it's an entry level brand, but if this boat was taken care of and can be had for a reasonable price factoring the cost of an outboard, it can be a fun little boat that can last several seasons. You don't have to buy a new outboard either.
Of course a boat that size would only be good for inland lakes. I wouldn't take it into big water of any type.
A personal note on Bayliner...our 2003 BR185 I/O 4.3 has treated us well. We're the third owner and have owned it for five seasons with only normal maintenance. No breakdowns. It's kept inside the garage for the winter which helps extend its life.
So, consider condition. Was it well taken care of? How does the gel coat look? How is the upholstery? Was it left out in the rain with no cover? Does the floor feel solid?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
No engine = no sea trial = you must consider it nothing more than a lawn ornament or project boat, and value it accordingly.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Generally speaking, a common hull such as your subject boat has very little value without the engine. Conversely, a hull with a brand new replacement engine doesn't command what the sellers spent to repower it. For example, the common scenario where an owner didn't winterize his I/O properly and cracked the block so replace the engine and price it too high.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Why don't you just price up a comparable motor install from a local dealer plus the cost of a new trailer. Add those 2 costs together and subtract from the NADA price and there you go on hull value. Then you will know if it's really worth it or not depending on hull condition.

NYBo

Admiral
With the trailer in/trailer out nonsense, this doesn't sound like someone I would want to deal with. I would look elsewhere.

roffey

Commander
In my books, 2013 boat is still fairly new. I think this might be a great chance to pick up a boat at a reasonable price. Here in Canada $1500 would pick up the trailer. Personally, I would buy a new if not nearly new motor and you will have trouble free boating for the next few years.

I guess it all depends on what the seller is asking for the boat ...

roffey

Commander
I checked around and a brand new Merc 115 is 9k plus installation.

southkogs

Staff member
I guess as I've watched the conversation play out the 2 more cents I'd add in is: It's not the Bayliner issue that has me leaning toward moving on. It's that finding a suitable outboard is typically more difficult than it sounds. A new one added to the cost of the boat and (or not) trailer gets you to a price tag over $10k easily.

For $15k in my area, you can get hold of a pretty nice boat - larger than 16' - with a trailer - lake ready. Even in the same year range.

tpenfield

Staff member
Keep in mind that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. So, the math of a whole boat (boat/motor/trailer) and subtracting the motor and trailer values does not account for the effort on your part making it a whole boat again.

As the others have said . . . plenty of whole boats out there.