Supporting a boat cover so water doesn't pool

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just got a new boat cover and this is the perfect time to address the pooling of water that occurs on the cover when it's installed on the boat. In the past I'd made a makeshift frame out of PVC but it was always a major PITA to position. I'm looking for ideas for a better way.

Attachments

• photo305652.jpg
    photo305652.jpg
    895.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305653.jpg
    photo305653.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Actually PVC is one of the easiest materials to work with for such things. You can even heat the piping up and shape it however you want and let it cool again. A few arches with cross or "T" fittings at the top of the arches so you can attach straight PVC pipe between them should works very well. And it you make the hull attachment parts to where the arched PVC pipes slide fit into them, it should be a snap to install and remove. It will take some work to build it initially, but then every time you use it, it will be a snap to install. But then this is just my suggestion. I am sure others will chime in with better ideas.

robert graham

Admiral
Try 2 or 3 car/truck inner tubes blown up good...put 'em in the boat....holds the cover up real well

jayhanig

Try 2 or 3 car/truck inner tubes blown up good...put 'em in the boat....holds the cover up real well

That actually isn't a bad idea. I have a good sized compressor so pumping them up wouldn't be so tough.

jayhanig

Actually PVC is one of the easiest materials to work with for such things. You can even heat the piping up and shape it however you want and let it cool again. A few arches with cross or "T" fittings at the top of the arches so you can attach straight PVC pipe between them should works very well. And it you make the hull attachment parts to where the arched PVC pipes slide fit into them, it should be a snap to install and remove. It will take some work to build it initially, but then every time you use it, it will be a snap to install. But then this is just my suggestion. I am sure others will chime in with better ideas.

It is the hull attachment ideas where I find myself coming up short.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It is the hull attachment ideas where I find myself coming up short.

Maybe you could buy a few squeeze clamps and attach the PVC fittings to those clamps. Then you can install the clamps wherever you need them to allow the arches to slide into the fittings. Once you make the clamp attachments, the arches will slide into the PVC part attached to the clamps. Those squeeze clamps are pretty strong and won't mark the hull either. Just a thought.

Attachments

• photo305679.jpg
    photo305679.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 0

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Beach balls, blow up pool lounges and other inflatable things positioned strategically under the cover.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
For years I tied a rope to one transom tie down then ran it thru the bow eye and tied it to the tie down on the other side of the transom. Fabricated a T- post from 2 x 4 to support the ropes in the middle of the boat. Quick, easy and it worked like a charm

11886-e.jpg

harringtondav

Commander
For years I tied a rope to one transom tie down then ran it thru the bow eye and tied it to the tie down on the other side of the transom. Fabricated a T- post from 2 x 4 to support the ropes in the middle of the boat. Quick, easy and it worked like a charm

11886-e.jpg

This shown is close to my solution, except I run a third line from the bow cleat to the stern tow hook. I use three adjustable tent poles with a notched dowel cap under the lines in the cockpit, and a third notched long dowel under the bow center line.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I built a support system that holds up to snow as well. Takes about 45 min to set it up then I'm good for winter. I'm using this with the same Taylor Made custom cover for 10+ years.

Attachments

• photo305162.jpg
    photo305162.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305163.jpg
    photo305163.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used the snaps on the wind shield frame and put snaps on the transom and ran 4 nylon straps front to back. It kept the water from pooling

fishrdan

Admiral
I made something very similar to what you have in your pics Jay, but it's made from 4" ABS. It's shaped like an I. (Actually, it looks like if a T and and I had a baby... LOL!)

The aft end is a T fitting. Fore end is a T fitting with 2' of ABS added to each side. The fore end of the ABS has a channel cut in the bottom (3" wide ?) so it slips over the windshield, then on the aft portion I added a 45* fitting to lift the back of the support a foot higher. I had to heat the ABS, and bend it a bit, to conform to the windshield angle.

This has worked well for 15 years, and I even added a section of pipe to the middle, since it was too short for my new(er) boat
. It has sagged 2-3" in the center over time due to pressure and heat, but still works fine. It's super easy to install/remove from inside the boat, and while not "super easy to install/remove it while standing at the transom, it can be done. I usually handle it while standing at the transom, grabbing over the 24" swim platform...

I doubt it would handle snow, but works for rain just fine.

Last edited:

wahlejim

Just add 2 of these to your cover, put poles in, tie down cover tight and you are good to go. Also allows some air flow in the boat to get rid of any lingering moisture or condensation buildup.

81n9B5s%2BzML._SX679_.jpg

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
There are 2 other recent threads on this topic in this forum, you may want to look thru them for ideas, but most people recommended a PVC frame. On my aluminum boat there's an inner rub rail that a cut PVC tee fitting can hook onto, but I see that you don't have anything on your fiberglass boat. Maybe you could wedge the pipes/tees in the joint between the gunwales and the floor? Or you could build a freestanding frame that rests on the floor. The other threads I mentioned have some pictures of these types of frames. Like some other posters mentioned above, there are alternatives to PVC frames but none of them seem to work as well. Take the time to do it right up front so that you don't have to mess with it later.

wahlejim

The other 2 threads were for winter covers. I am gathering based on the location of the OP that this is just for standard storage with no tarps involved. People covering for winter are willing to take the time to assemble a frame for long term storage. In North Carolina, a simpler solution may be better.

jayhanig

Did you miss what just happened in North Carolina?

I live in what was essentially ground zero (Topsail Beach, NC) for Hurricane Florence. I purposely left my boat uncovered during the storm for while I know my cover can withstand 70 MPH winds going down the highway, I have no such delusions of its ability to withstand 100 MPH winds.

The person you responded to actually had exactly my purpose in mind. Putting the boat up for the winter is one thing but it was wearing me out to have to deal with all of that every time I took the boat out. The boat lives in my driveway. It's a major ordeal to clean it up and perform routine maintenance after every day in salt water. Then to have to reassemble that frame... well, it just didn't motivate me to use my boat. I am looking for something quick and easy for those times when it isn't winterized.

wahlejim

Those boat vent II are $15 ea, add a pole for each. One in the bow and one in the stern should do the trick. Best part is they are removable and can be re-installed on a new cover 5 years down the road. If you tie the sides of the cover down tightly, they wont move an inch

Z

wahlejim

[No message]

Attachments

• photo305854.jpg
    photo305854.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305855.jpg
    photo305855.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 0

suds1421

Seaman Apprentice
I use two towable tubes to keep our cover up. Works great if you have the tubes anyway.

jayhanig

I have serious doubts of how a temporary shelter would do here. We are subject to strong winds and hurricanes. I can just see that thing blowing down the street. I will say I've got some pretty good ideas on how to speed the process along though. I appreciate each of you who took the time to answer.