Is this anti freeze good for plumbing and engine?

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I will sleep better if I put AF in there LOL.

It's my first time doing that, any one can tell me the quantity I need to buy for the engine and fresh water system, and toilet / tank.

roffey

Commander
jumping on the dog pile here, what I do is drain the motor and refill with AF, then drain it. Kind of best of both worlds and helps me sleep at night. I made a bucket with a hose connection. I connect up the muffs, put some AF in the bucket and run the motor until I get pink.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

It's my first time doing that, any one can tell me the quantity I need to buy for the engine and fresh water system, and toilet / tank.

5-6 gallons

follow the manual and add it to the motor thru the thermostat housing with a funnel AFTER you drain everything.

Old Ironmaker

Captain

Then go for it and sleep like a babe. It can't hurt anything. I must add that I still pour some plumbers antifreeze down the drains of the baitwell and 2 livewells and leave the pet cocks open. If there is a low spot in the drain lines water might pool there and possibly freeze enough to expand the plastic lines and split. That can't hurt either.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
FYI- they do make a non toxic "automobile" antifreeze, although it can be hard to find and a little more expensive. I think its called Proplyene Glycol

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
5-6 gallons

follow the manual and add it to the motor thru the thermostat housing with a funnel AFTER you drain everything.

Ok I will buy 7 in case I spill one, don't ask...

If I poor the AF thru the thermostat housing, is it required to remove the thermostat first? Or there is a bypass somewhere that will let the magic stuff go thru?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Pull the t-stat, fill till its full. Then replace t-stat, housing, and fill exhaust mani feed hoses until they are full

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
jumping on the dog pile here, what I do is drain the motor and refill with AF, then drain it. Kind of best of both worlds and helps me sleep at night. I made a bucket with a hose connection. I connect up the muffs, put some AF in the bucket and run the motor until I get pink.

I'm confused?

1. You drain the water
2. Then you fill with AF
3. Then you drain the AF
4. Then you hook up muffs to an empty system and run it until the AF comes out?

With an empty engine and a t-stat that has probably closed you rely on the AF to get thru the engine before it over heats?

Or am i missing something?

roffey

Commander
I'm confused?

1. You drain the water
2. Then you fill with AF
3. Then you drain the AF
4. Then you hook up muffs to an empty system and run it until the AF comes out?

With an empty engine and a t-stat that has probably closed you rely on the AF to get thru the engine before it over heats?

Or am i missing something?

1. Drain the water (I have five plugs to remove)
2. Then hook up muffs (to an empty system) and run it until the AF comes out.
3. Drain the AF.

The impeller will have no water or antifreeze for less than a sec. I fog the motor while running the AF through, change the oil and water separator. My thinking is the AF is acting as anti corrosion. I know some will say its not needed if I drain the system but it makes me sleep better at night. I have done it this way for years and never had bad results. Tell me if I am doing something wrong here. I'm always open to new ides and criticism if it stops me from harming the boat.

tacx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Roffey,
that makes sense. I your original post made it sound like you were adding AF twice.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
1. Drain the water (I have five plugs to remove)
2. Then hook up muffs (to an empty system) and run it until the AF comes out.
3. Drain the AF.

The impeller will have no water or antifreeze for less than a sec. I fog the motor while running the AF through, change the oil and water separator. My thinking is the AF is acting as anti corrosion. I know some will say its not needed if I drain the system but it makes me sleep better at night. I have done it this way for years and never had bad results. Tell me if I am doing something wrong here. I'm always open to new ides and criticism if it stops me from harming the boat.

This doesn’t seem like it could harm anything, but won’t AF come straight out the relief ports long before the thermostat opens? It seems like the AF would bypass the engine this way, unless I’m missing something.

roffey

Commander
What I do is warm up the motor, then drain the block using the 5 plugs on the motor in place for winterizing. You may be right regarding the t stat being open or closed, likely a crap shoot. I know if I just drain it by the plugs I will be OK. Refilling with AF is unnecessary but I think it adds a little rust inhibitor? It is over kill but most things I do with this boat is over kill. I have a spare prop on board, oil, power steering fluid, gear lube and gear oil. A full set of sockets extra flash lights. I wax this boat several times a year and wash it on a weekly bases, lol. This is my hot rod car and my summer hobby.

I bet almost everyone here is the same. We are all boat crazy and I love it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I am going to put this out there for all our combustion engine Guru's. We put these I/O's and O/B's away with nothing internally i.e. antifreeze or water. So that means there is only air and some moisture (water) and or some antifreeze internally. Fe+O2+H2O= RUST. I can put my sportscar away without doing much because she is full of antifreeze. The snow machines are put away without doing much because the chance of freezing over the summer is nearly impossible. My wife's lawnmowers I do nothing to the engines. When I took a small engine repair course a few years ago the instructor had us dissect a very old 9.9. The thing had rust everywhere in it.

The million dollar question. Why won't rust form in an engine left free of any liquids for any period of time? I'm thinking if it has had all the plugs put back in where O2 can't get in the O2 that was trapped when the plugs were put in isn't enough for FeO to form or is it FeO2O3, it's been a while. What about air getting into the combustion chamber through a fuel system? Left long enough like the old 9.9 we took apart will rust eventually form? Sorry, perhaps I should have started a new thread Mods. I'm thinking the questions are directly related to the OP. Let me know and I will gladly move it. Please advise.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I am going to put this out there for all our combustion engine Guru's. We put these I/O's and O/B's away with nothing internally i.e. antifreeze or water. So that means there is only air and some moisture (water) and or some antifreeze internally. Fe+O2+H2O= RUST. I can put my sportscar away without doing much because she is full of antifreeze. The snow machines are put away without doing much because the chance of freezing over the summer is nearly impossible. My wife's lawnmowers I do nothing to the engines. When I took a small engine repair course a few years ago the instructor had us dissect a very old 9.9. The thing had rust everywhere in it.

The million dollar question. Why won't rust form in an engine left free of any liquids for any period of time? I'm thinking if it has had all the plugs put back in where O2 can't get in the O2 that was trapped when the plugs were put in isn't enough for FeO to form or is it FeO2O3, it's been a while. What about air getting into the combustion chamber through a fuel system? Left long enough like the old 9.9 we took apart will rust eventually form? Sorry, perhaps I should have started a new thread Mods. I'm thinking the questions are directly related to the OP. Let me know and I will gladly move it. Please advise.

rust does form. heck rust will form on fresh metal within a few days from the humidity (unless your in Arizona). aluminum starts to oxide after a few hours

in a raw water cooled I/O, the first time its ever fired up in the water.... rust starts to form. rust forms more slowly with just fresh water, and about 10x as fast in salt water.

pulling the drains and allowing air in there, it does rust a bit faster than if water is simply running thru it.

however here is the rub..... Rust never sleeps. once the iron starts to rust, you cant stop it without mechanically removing it.

the only way to prevent rust is to start with a heat-exchanger on the motor from day 1. order the boat with fresh water cooling and change the coolant every few years as the coolant breaks down and becomes acidic promoting rust.

that being said, a fresh-water only motor will last about 40-50 years with proper maintenance prior to needing to deal with rust-thru. however the motor will most likely have been murdered long before that by lack of maintenance or lack of winterization or the boat will have been sold 3-4 times prior to that being the case.

a salt-water motor has the manifolds last about 7-10 years. heat accelerates the rusting process. the block and heads will last about 20-30 years prior to rust thru, however the intake manifold may not make it that long and may rust out sooner. the amount of corrosion that my result from the bit of air in there over the winter months really doesnt effect the system that much as the salt has already aggressively started attacking the iron from day one. this is why you cant add a heat exchanger to a salt-water motor after its been run in salt.

the only way to prevent rust is to start with a heat-exchanger on the motor from day 1. order the boat with fresh water cooling.

so the argument that anti-freeze to an I/O prevents corrosion is valid, however the amount of prevention is so slight that in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. the motor is still rusting away.

regarding rust and the motor. if you want to prevent rust in the combustion chambers, fogging is required and that should be followed by pulling the valve covers, and loosen all the rockers as well. the oil film from fogging only lasts about 6-9 months when exposed to ambient air. closing the cylinders off extends the time the oil film is present. it also prevents critters from building nests in the cylinder bores as well as prevents valve springs from taking a set.

I would be more concerned with mice and insects making nests in the motor than I would be of rust.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Can't argue with that! I know I spend more time and money on my boat than is sensible! (That's what the Admiral tells me, anyway!)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I wax this boat several times a year and wash it on a weekly bases, lol. This is my hot rod car and my summer hobby.

In addition to all that I also keep it covered AND in the garage year round.

I bet there are some like us, but very few.