Annual Hull Waxing - Necessary?

Hale Quin

Recruit
Hi all, just got a boat and I'm learning along the way. I've heard that waxing your hull is necessary in order to maintain finish, prolong boat life and improve performance. How many of you are waxing your hulls every year?

Thanks!

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Not necessary. But would not hurt. Never waxed our hull bottom. 5 boats, 25 years of boating.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Depends on what you call the "hull"?

Everything above the water line.... twice a year
Everything below the water line.... never

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Current boat has bottom paint, however everything gets waxed at least once a year. Prior boats also had the bottom waxed

RGrew176

Commander
My last 4 boats were rack stored so the bottom got waxed a couple of times during the season.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Above the water line once a year and deoxidize buff every 2 years. Below never. Iwas told the wax is gone after a few runs below the water line. I can't get to it at my age anyway. I hate saying that but it's true. I never thought I would hit my age, ever.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Agree with doing above waterline at least once or more a year.
Mots especially important if you have one of the cheaper Brunswick type boats with colour on the hull. Hellish for fading in the sun, so a good UV protecting wax or polish will reduce the fading. My boat yard is full of faded maxums and bayliner etc....and that’s in Scotland !!!

roffey

Commander
I wax the hull every year before I put it in the water. I wax the whole boat and shine it up like new. The wax on the hull is just to make it look shiny on the trailer. After 5 min. in the water and wax is off.... so its wax on wax off..

oldjeep

Admiral
Annual? - twice a year for a good job with collonite for me and then a wipedown with Wax as you dry every time it is put back in the garage.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Waxing/polishing is 100% necessary ONLY if you want to keep your boat in the best possible condition for as long as you can.Hulls other than white need to wax more than once per season to avoid oxidation or drying out of the gelcoat.My boat is just about the only one in my marina that does not get a brown water line that creeps up the hull as the season progresses.This is because I wax from the waterline/bottom paint line and up making certain to wax closest to the waterline twice.TIP...I put the 2nd coat on the night before launching when it is cooler out and wax stays moist longer.I dont remove it till the next day.Sealing the gelcoat pores prevents the organic stain from growing up the hull.Guaranteed!! Charles

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I wax twice a year. Above and below the waterline. It is a pain doing it on a creeper when the boat is on the trailer.