Complete novice wondering about what to look for in a boat (offshore California)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'm back, question #2, maintenance. Aluminum is less sturdy than fibreglass, it is much thinner. It is not as stable in rough water because it is lighter.

Inflatable boats. Lighter than glass and heavier then Aluminum. Better stability due to design. Google some of these things. 4 small boats will always be more bucks than 1 medium size boats. Just like cars, that's only common sense for heavens sakes. A 10 foot Zodiac with a 9.9 outboard will be suitable for your needs. Many use Zodiac as a generic term for inflatables, like not all sealable plastic containers are Tupperware but that's what we call it as is Teflon. A 25 foot inflatable with twin 7's will also suit your needs. Google is your friend. Actually it is time you start doing that. My corleone's are sore. You got me again, good for you.

JD out.

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
A thought - perhaps hiring a local fishing guide in San Francisco for a half day to take you out, show you their boat and give you some pointers would be some money well spent and some experience with a pretty common boat being used in the area.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Haven't read all the posts in this thread, so, apologize if I'm repeating something already mentioned.

​Seems like you are trying buy the boat and get your grant. I'd figure out how much labor I need to meet the grant conditions, then add the amount needed for equipment, including boat. For the boat, based on my experience a little South (San Diego), I'd be looking for at least a 24 footer. This is based on my experience doing diving surveys and other ocean monitoring activities off the SD coast as well as diving expeditions to the Coronado Islands, about 10 miles off shore.

​If you can't get a grant for the total amount needed (labor plus equipment, including boat) you are not going to have happy.grantors.

​On the other hand, if you can get a grant for a fixed amount, figure what it will take for the labor and other equipment aside from the boat. Then take what $$ are remaining and follow the advice I received when I was first contemplating purchasing a boat: ".... buy the biggest boat you can for the $$ you have."

​Whoops, just re-read you initial post. Disregard my drivel about what you'd need based on SoCal conditions - conditions off SF Bay, as I recall, are way more testing of boat/operator. I'll stick with the "... buy the biggest boat you can get for the $$ you have available."

Last edited: