Trolling question

Fishslayer2

Cadet
Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a 2012 Tracker pro guide 175V combo with a Merc 115 Four stroke.
I was wondering if anybody could tell me the what the idle speed would be for that boat. I would like to troll between 1.5 - 2.0 mph. I would rather not have to use my Minn kota to troll back and fourth across the lake if I can help it.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trolling question

My first suggestion would be to add a kicker motor, If nothing else it keeps a bunch of low idle hours off the main engine,...

And it might be the way in if you were to have a main engine failure,...

Your 115 should troll between the 1.5 and 2.0 mph your after,....

Trolling bags would also help get the speed down for trolling,...

May I ask what your after at 1.5-2.o mph???

That seems fast for most applications other than musky and maybe salmon,..........

Fishslayer2

Cadet

My first suggestion would be to add a kicker motor, If nothing else it keeps a bunch of low idle hours off the main engine,...

That seems fast for most applications other than musky and maybe salmon,..........

Thanks for the tip! I'm pretty sure I will be getting a kicker (maybe an 8 or 9 HP?) in the near future. I'm mainly after Trout and Salmon.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

In my book a kicker is a trolling must have,..............

If you decide to try the trolling bag route these are what I would recommend,..

Buggy Bag Sea Anchor Buggy Bags Trolling Bag [] - $34.95 : Amish Outfitters, Marine, Hunting, Fishing, Tackle, and Truck Supplies!

I have them for my 16 footer,....I run one on each side even with the kicker for power,..It allows much better boat control by keeping the front of the boat pinned to the water,....

A trolling bag can also be used as a drift sock, However most drift socks will fall apart when trolling,...

The Amish Outfitter folks make quality stuff, I have purchased a few different things from them and am very happy,.......

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Kinda slow for muskies. I'm usually around 2.5 - 3.5. :)

If you can, GPS your idle speed. With a 4 stroke, you should be able to idle around all day w/o issue.......

Mi duckdown

Commander

Fishslayer. Only You can tell us the speed at idle, in gear. Hand held GPS will tell You alot. into the waves and with the waves.
I would not spend a dime untill you figure that out. salmon like speed, walleye not so much.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

Salmon (Kings, Coho & Atlantics) do like speed. Often catch them at 2.6 down speed & a little higher on Lake Ontario. Steelhead (rainbows) also like it. Browns often prefer 2-2.3 and Lake Trout the slowest -under 2. If your chasing T&S, I would not recommend an electric trolling motor as you may have to chase them many miles. If you can't slow down enough, think about trolling into the wind or a drift sock/bag/bucket.

Also, I'd check the idle and make sure it's in the recomended range for you motor.

Tom B.
(LongLine)

saumon

Lieutenant

Kinda slow for muskies. I'm usually around 2.5 - 3.5. :)

If you can, GPS your idle speed. With a 4 stroke, you should be able to idle around all day w/o issue.......

I prefer between 4 and 8 for 'skies, the sweet spot being 5-6.

And, to the OP, I don't think you'll be able to go a lot slower than 2.5 with that engine but, as said, this is perfectly fine for all trout and salmon, except if you're after lakers.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 for the kicker. I added one about a year ago and finally got it setup with linkage between the main and the kicker so it can be steered from the main at the helm. I then added a "troll control" which allows you to adjust the kicker RPM from the helm with more precision than from the handle. Love it.
I have the same motor as you and added a MercMonitor which has a "troll control" feature that allows you to drop the idle RPM to about 520 (I'd have to check) in 10 RPM increments. That's a neat feature but since I spend so much time trolling, it seemed unnecessary wear on the main and I still couldn't get down to the 1.2 MPH that I need for Sockeye and Kokanee.
IMG_0373.jpg

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Kicker and a seabag/anchor are the answers. As far as a kicker- go big. The little ones are too buzzy and loud.

And as far as speeds: most properly propped boats at idle will be anywhere from 2.8 to 3.5mph. I know that someone will post that their Uncle Curtis's boat trolls perfect at idle and 2.2mph but most boats will naturally idle-troll around 3mph. That is just how it is but you need to prove that with GPS in your boat.

Speed opinions are speed opinions but walleyes, lakers, and landlocks have been caught in my boat as fast as 3.5mph but achieving "x" speed should not be your goal. Your goal should be the speed that the lure you are presenting has the proper action. Some species like a slower presentation but that usually means using a different lure.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't argue with you Mark 'cause I've never trolled outside my own state but if you are trolling for sockeye in Washington and going over 1.5 I'd recommend you bring a lot of beer 'cause you won't catch a thing. Maybe we just have really slow fish out west? :)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

A 5 gallon bucket with some holes drilled in the bottom will slow your merc down, but I agree with others the kicker is the ticket. Drift socks are OK but if you're using down riggers, that could be an issue.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

A 5 gallon bucket with some holes drilled in the bottom will slow your merc down, but I agree with others the kicker is the ticket. Drift socks are OK but if you're using down riggers, that could be an issue.

If you run the trolling bags off of the front side cleats they should be far enough ahead to stay out of the way of the downriggers,.

I started out using the 5 gallon bucket trick and it did work,......

I switched to the trolling bags because them the work a bit better and mostly because they are easier to store when your not using them,..

82rude

Rear Admiral

Can't argue with you Mark 'cause I've never trolled outside my own state but if you are trolling for sockeye in Washington and going over 1.5 I'd recommend you bring a lot of beer 'cause you won't catch a thing. Maybe we just have really slow fish out west? :)
wow slow salmon.here ive caught kings and coho betweem 2.5 to 4 mph.maybe the fish out there take after the people ,slow and easy ,no rush .:)