Roller Trailer to Bunk Trailer Conversion

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Roller Trailer to Bunk Trailer Conversion

I am trying to find replacement rollers to compare the cost of replacing the rollers vs converting to bunks. All I can see is the one decal shown in the photo that says "Equiload" does anyone know where I can get replacement parts for this, I can find them for several different make/Mfg but I am not sure if they will be compatable with my current set-up. any help or information is greatly appreciated.

reelfishin

Captain

You need to know what type or size roller you have now to be able to price out what you need. You need to know the ID or shaft size, width of the roller, and overall diameter.
The shaft size is most important, minor differences in width and diameter of the roller are less important.

I believe Equiload is trademark of Shorelandr' trailers.
You most likely have Yates style molded rollers, with nylon bushings.
As a rule of thumb, rollers run between $6 and $11 each. Most of mine are Load Rite with 1 1/18" Yates rollers, which are pretty common to find. I've seen various shaft diameters, ranging from 3/4" to 1 1/4".

Wood will no doubt be cheaper, unless your paying someone else to do it, in that case parts are cheaper than labor. I'd guess that your 18' boat probably has 12 or 16 rollers? So I'd figure on about $150 in rollers and a handful of new cotter pins and washers. For comparison sakes, I can buy original roller kits from Load Rite for $12 each, each kit gives me two new washers and two new clips or cotters pins. I can buy just the roller often for half of that online and buy the pins and washers at a local hardware store for less but it's a lot of running around. I now keep a coffee can of both washers and clips here just in case, so I can buy just rollers when I need them.

If it were my boat, I'd probably just spring for the rollers, vs. trying to redesign the whole trailer with something that's not going to last as long as new rollers anyhow.
In materials to go with wood bunks, your probably only looking at about $75 tops for wood, carpet and any hardware, but when you look at as being only another $75 or so bucks to do it the right way, it's not that bad I guess.

safetyj

Cadet

I would rather have a bunk trailer. With bunks you can unhook your winch strap and safety chain before you back down the ramp (if the ramp isnt too steep). I have seen MANY boats 'roll' off their trailers and land on the ramp 8' from the water. Horrible sight to see.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

With bunks you can unhook your winch strap and safety chain before you back down the ramp (if the ramp isnt too steep). .

Famous last words! How steep is too steep?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I would rather have a bunk trailer. With bunks you can unhook your winch strap and safety chain before you back down the ramp (if the ramp isnt too steep). I have seen MANY boats 'roll' off their trailers and land on the ramp 8' from the water. Horrible sight to see.

I have bunk trailers and I NEVER unhook completely. I do unhook the safety chain and give a little slack (a few inches) to the winch strap, but I would never unhook both.

Pokertrampp

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to know what type or size roller you have now to be able to price out what you need.

Unfortunatly, as you can see from the photos, there are no longer any rollers installed for me to know which type or size was origonally installed. hmmm what to do?

reelfishin

Captain

First, measure the diameter of the roller shaft, then measure the spacing between the cotter pin holes in the shaft. Also, what are the shafts made of? Steel or Aluminum? Most steel shafts use a wobble roller with a metal hub and are 3/4". The overall diameter will only need to be large enough to clear the rest of the frame, so 1/2" difference in diameter or so won't matter so long as all the rollers match.

The rollers aren't going to be a tight fit on the shaft, they are meant to wobble and spin freely, so it's not an exact science in figuring out what rollers will work.

I've also converted types of rollers to allow me to use lower cost rollers. Often it's no more than drilling a few new cotter pin holes.

safetyj

Cadet

I have bunk trailers and I NEVER unhook completely. I do unhook the safety chain and give a little slack (a few inches) to the winch strap, but I would never unhook both.

The boat launches that I use in my neck of the woods are not steep at all. But, YOU ARE RIGHT !...from now on I will always leave the winch strap connected until the boat is floating. No sense in having the possibility of a accident. Thank you.:redface: