Overheating 1994 200 HP Yamaha Outboard

Mikesdock

Recruit
Engine overheat alarm activates when RPM's exceed 3800. I have twin engines and it is the port engine that is affected. With a Yamaha mechanics help I have begun the process of elimination. So far we have checked the thermostats-OK, replaced both water pumps, replaced exhaust manifold gaskets on port engine, (per mechanics advice), Checked relief valve-appears OK, the engine still overheats and there is an obvious temperature difference between port and starboard engines. Both heads on port engine are too hot to touch for 2 seconds. Water flow with thermostat covers removed appears to be good and unresticted. All visible water passages appear free of obstructions. I'm not getting anywhere. Any ideas are welcome and I encourage any and all responses. Thank You, :confused:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Overheating 1994 200 HP Yamaha Outboard

You got me.It sounds like you have covered all the normal bases. But my theory would be,the other engine is lazy,slipping prop hub,or under reving,forcing the overheater to do all the werk.<br />Also, have the timing checked.

Mikesdock

Recruit
Re: Overheating 1994 200 HP Yamaha Outboard

Thanks 12 for your response. The Starboard engine is running well with no slippage and thak you for your reply. :)