BAD IDLE

Yammy

Recruit
I have a 2-stroke YAMAHA 40 BE from year -79. It's in great shape, has been driven only for 30-50 hours. I haven't use it for 8 years, but it has been well oiled. Now I took it in use, but idling is not so good and the motor dies from time to time when on idle. Otherwise it runs fine. I have cleaned the carburettor and changed oil and spark plugs. What might cause the problem?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: BAD IDLE

If it has been shelved that long,I would supect it's in need of decarbonizing. That is of course, if the idle isn't steady (sometimes idles,sometimes does not).<br />When you do that, use the old plugs,because the stuff ruins plugs. Then, when all done, you can put the new ones back in.<br />Other than that, it should clear-up after a couple tanks of nice clean fuel mix.

Yammy

Recruit

What does decarbonizing exactly mean?<br />I don't speak so good english and my dictionary doesn't know the term "decarbonizing". <br />Thanks

sockeyerun

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Yammy,Another thing it might be is, I had a simular problem several years ago on my 40elrp Yamaha. I took it to my dealer and it turns out I had one carb that wouldn't adjust correctly due to me not using fuel stabilizer and it was badly shellacked(however you spell it).Had all three carbs rebuilt,syncd,and now I use fuel stabilizer religously.Hasn't died since. GoodLuck, Sockeyerun
smile.gif