Volvo Penta SX-M drive, zerk gimbal grease fitting broke off

birdpiper

Seaman Apprentice
Was almost done getting the boat ready to put in the water this season, went to grease the gimbal bearing on the starboard side of the drive, usually hook up a grease gun and give it 10-15 pumps. This year noticed that the zerk fitting is damaged (see photo). It looks like it was severed off, very strange
Anybody have advice on how to repair? Tried backing out what is there with an “EZ-out” but wasn’t getting anywhere.
Any advice on what to do and repair part numbers would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• photo292761.jpg
    photo292761.jpg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 12

Fireman78

Seaman
Mine is a tube with a grease fitting that slides in. Should it not be removable?

monster1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The zerk fitting on my grease gun was too tight. When I pulled it off, the tube came with it. I cleaned the area up with chemtool and put a few pieces of foil tape over the top of the hole. When I service the gimbal next I'm going to tap it and put a zerk fitting on it to plug the hole. The grease tube isn't even used anymore now that VP uses sealed bearings from what I've been told.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
If you can get through this season, just plan to replace the gimbal with a new style greaseless bearing before next fall. Its not too hard to do. It will give you a chance to inspect the bellows and U joints and check alignment at that time.