Big leak in reverse, less in forward - little at neutral - VP duo prop

jtm3

Seaman Apprentice
My first post at iboats so please be patient! - I've spent most of my time on THT, but I'll start right in with my problem. Just recently purchased a used Pursiut Denali 2860, 2001 - 7.4L - VP Duo Prop. I had the boat surveyed prior to purchase - high moisture reading in the transom, but surveyor felt it was solid based on the hammer tests. Anyway long story short brought it home to Vermont (Lake Champlain), dropped boat in the water getting ready for the season. My yard was bringing it up to temp, when he put it in reverse he saw a fairly heavy leak, forward less so, in neutral little if any.

Bellows is pliable, old but no visable tears - he is worried that putting in reverse is flexing the transom and causing the leak, talked to the surveyor and he doesn't think that could be the case. Obviously we are hoping it is the bellows - but could there be something else? Really don't want to rebuild the transom....going to continue to investigate but was hoping folks might have some ideas. Thanks in advance for any guidance/suggestion that can be offered.

alldodge

Staff member
While the transom may or may not be soft, leaking oil is not from the transom.

Check the trim pump and see if your leaking trim oil. Also check the drive lube level to see if it is where the leak is

alldodge

Staff member
Not an oil leak - it is water

Oh, OK thanks, zipped right over my head

In that case its either a soft transom or something hit the drive and cracked the transom assembly housing.

Maybe get a camera in there and take some pics, where your head won't fit

alldodge

Staff member
And agree it could also be a boot. If it is a boot, you should be able to turn the wheel and water will pickup or slow down, maybe even trimming up/down a bit.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
get in the bilge with a flashlight and look. only way to find leak

I would pull the drive and do a bellows job, then while you are at it, inspect everything else

regarding the "hammer test" it doesnt mean squat.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Sure sounds like a rotten transom to me,.....

Especially the worst in reverse thing,....

jtm3

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys, filled bilge (below starter) - no leak, put a block under outdrive, lowered travel lift to put some pressure on it, leaked....put a little more pressure leaked faster...at this point hoping to get a work around for our all too short of season. Going to pull the outdrive and see how bad the rot is, maybe a new gasket on transom shield hoping I can limp through the season with transom replacement in the winter. Live and learn I guess - sure feel stupid...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You could try getting in the rear of the bilge and see if you can tighten up the nuts that hold the inner and outer transom played together. Might need a crow foot wrench or a ratcheting box wrench with a flex head

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks guys, filled bilge (below starter) - ..

STOP PUTTING WATER IN THE BILGE you added hundreds of pounds to the trailer.

you have a rotten transom.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know what is available, but if you could pull the motor, transom assembly and then try to seal it with some adhesive. Then do the transom at the end of the season.

If that is to much, sand a wire wheel all around the edge, get it done to bare aluminum and ruff gel coat. Get some 3M 4200 and put a bead around it. It stands a chance of keeping it dry until Fall

Make sure bats are changed and bilge pumps are working

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Was there any noticeable water line marks in the bilge to suggest that water had been sitting by ingress for a long period of time ? This is the most common cause of transom rot. Symptoms would be as described.

jtm3

Seaman Apprentice
We were able to tighten 6 of the 8 transom plate bolts - bottom 2 went a full turn, top 4 were a quarter to a half. (couldn't get access to the 3rd set down) Boat has been in the water for a week and no leaking - whether floating or underway. Bilge is bone dry, no noticeable compression around the plate both inside and out, no gelcoat crazing.

Seems like I'll be ok for the season, plan is to pull the motor over the winter and will look closer at the transom at that point. Thanks for all the thoughtful and helpful responses.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Maybe you got lucky and it was just a case of a very loose transom plate. Time will tell.