DIY Outboard Stand w/ Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpenfield

Staff member
My recent running of my Mercury 7.5 HP in a somewhat wobbly trash barrel has prompted me to think about getting/making a motor stand. So, I worked up a design last night and headed off to Home Depot first thing this morning.

The design is pretty basic . . . requires only 3 (three) 8 ft 2x4 pieces of lumber. OutboardStand6.png
OutboardStand5.png

There are 2 cuts to each of the 3 2x4's . . . to yield 6 3' pieces and 3 2' pieces. IMG_9454.jpg

Making the main portion of the stand . . . IMG_9456.jpg

Here is the stand set upright and positioning the lower rails . . . IMG_9458.jpg

I put in a single screw on each side, so that I could tilt the stand back a bit, reflecting the slope of a transom. IMG_9459.jpg

Then I secured the stand in the sloped position and measured and cut the rear angle supports (which are made out of the remaining 2 3' pieces of 2x4). IMG_9461.jpg

Done . . . IMG_9463.jpg

Here is my Mercury 7.5 loaded onto the stand. I made it high enough so that it can take a long shaft (20") motor as well as the short shaft. IMG_9464.jpg

I figure that it can easily hold upwards of a 150-200 lb motor . . . maybe a larger motor with a cross brace on the main portion of the stand.

It took about 1 hour of work to make this stand. . . . about $10 of wood and another $10 or so in hardware (deck screws . . . 3" & 3'1/2" ).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Gonna add casters to move a heavier motor around, Ted?

Nice project and you didn't miss one second of SBLI pre-game coverage. <--- Don't know if that's a + or - ? :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea I agree with GA_Boater. You have to put casters on it. Believe me you will never regret putting casters on it. I used two fixed and two swivel casters. And I have moved my stand lots of time. Nice to roll it outside to run the engine, and then roll it back in the shop. Nice project though. :thumb:

tpenfield

Staff member
Gonna add casters to move a heavier motor around, Ted?

Nice project and you didn't miss one second of SBLI pre-game coverage. <--- Don't know if that's a + or - ? :D

Thanks . . . Probably a minus as far as having extra time to watch pre-game coverage . . . I don't think that I will turn on the TV until about 5 PM. My brother is going to the game, so I am getting updates via FaceBook :D

I was thinking about casters, but did not do that as yet. Probably will at some point. :thumb:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Similar to the stand posted in the completed projects forum, but less complicated.

No rear brace allows your run barrell to fit inside the frame of the stand, correct? Thats my only complaint about the stands I built from the other plan. They are pretty much just rolling storage/engine work stands. Not testing platfoems like your.. Took more then 3 2X4s and more then $20 in materials and lumber...

Nice stand, thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Similar to the stand posted in the completed projects forum, but less complicated.

No rear brace allows your run barrell to fit inside the frame of the stand, correct? Thats my only complaint about the stands I built from the other plan. They are pretty much just rolling storage/engine work stands. Not testing platfoems like your.. Took more then 3 2X4s and more then $20 in materials and lumber...

Nice stand, thanks

Yes, and thank you. I kept the back of the stand open so that I could position it over the barrel with ease. Will be even easier if I add the casters.

IMG_9469.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looking good, also suggest casters. Mine is a bit wider to accommodate 3 small outboards. Its a PITA to move around

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How do you plan to remove oily barrel to empty it, just pull up OB from stand ?

Happy Boating

tpenfield

Staff member

Happy Boating

Tilting the OB up allows it and the stand to be pulled away from the barrel. I really did not have to lift the OB, just tilt it up as I pulled the stand away. That is where the casters will make that easier.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No Title

Here is mine. definitely need to add casters

I like Ted's better with the ability for the garbage can to be pulled away. I am currently using about an 8 gallon bucket, so emptying the water is simply grab and dump.

Attachments

• photo258441.jpg
    photo258441.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 24

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for all of the comments and input, guys. I do remember seeing the stand that is featured in the stickies. My objective with this stand was to design something that would be easy to make, therefore the fairly simple set of parts.

I have updated the design as shown below, adding

(1) a stiffener piece at the front of the base and

(2) a set of casters.

I figured that with the casters, the base would need a little extra support and some extra surface area to mount them, and the stiffener piece does that. I plan of having side-mount casters for the rail ends and standard mount at the front of the stand.

OutboardStand7.png

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
throw a hose bib on the barrel and viola, moving it around is easy peasy.

rts-rain-collection-barrel-w-plastic-valve.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With such huge barrel filled with water, pulling stand out from barrel while tilting engine up, won't make the trick, there won't be sufficient internal barrel space to tilt sufficiently up lower leg and pull OB from barrel. Attaching a hose bib at lower barrel is the way to go, just drain barrel attaching a hose and voil?..

Happy Boating

tpenfield

Staff member
Final Design and Pictures. . .

Thanks again for all the comments and inputs. I have made a few final design changes and now have a stand that I think will work out nicely.

I added a cross member to give the stand good side-to-side rigidity. The stand is basically a set of triangles, which is the strongest geometric shape. Between the front 'stiffener' and the 'cross bar' a 4th 2x4 was needed in the overall material list :eek:

OutboardStand9A.png

I added casters to the design as well, using the wide area on the front of the stand for swivel casters and rigid casters on the rails

OutboardStand9B.png

Here is the stand as built with the added features . . . front stiffener, cross bar, casters.

IMG_9522.jpg

The casters 2-1/2" casters are rated for 175 lbs. each. So, this should be able to handle even the mid-size outboards.

IMG_9524.jpg

The overall cost of this stand is: $12 in wood, $10-15 in hardware, $30 in casters. So, under $60.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Now you're talking. The first time you use it with the casters, you will be a total believer as well. I know I like mine built with them. :thumb:

What program did you use for the perspective drawing...just curious?

tpenfield

Staff member
Now you're talking. The first time you use it with the casters, you will be a total believer as well. I know I like mine built with them. :thumb:

What program did you use for the perspective drawing...just curious?

The program is called Sketchup. It is actually a 3D modelling software. You can rotate the object around and make pictures of various angles, etc.

southkogs

Staff member
Mine is real close to Ted's - don't have a great picture, but here's a not so great one ...
JNSN 2.jpg

Casters are a "must" ... and don't use too cheap of one (like I did). Get something that rolls real easy.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Happy Boating
I simply use the hose that I fill the barrel with. When done testing, I stick the hose in to the bottom of the barrel, turn the water on to purge the air, and unhook from the faucet. Syphon takes over, and just let it drain while ya have a beer and admire yor work.

tpenfield

Staff member
OK, first use of the stand . . . I got a fairly large tub and propped it up on some blocks. Seems to work out well. With the casters, if I put the engine in forward it moves the stand a bit forward :D
IMG_9597.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.