What type motor oil for 3.0L? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

playyas4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know this has to be an easy one for someone. I am trying to change my oil tomorrow and need to know what weight oil I need to use and if I can just pick it up at an automotive store. I have a 1992 OMC 3.OL. How many quarts, weight and if it's just regular automotive oil. The boat didn't come with a manual and it's not written on the motor. Thanks in advance.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What type motor oil for 3.0L? Please help

This is the latest info from Mercury, for their 4 cycle engines:

op7i21.jpg

playyas4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply. Do you think my omc 3.0l would use the same oil as a mercruiser?

6racer

Cadet

now what if we used a 5w30 mobile 1? would that be good for the motor?

playyas4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class

From my readings I think 5w-30 is totally different from sae-30. I may be wrong but I think sae-30 is a lot thicker.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the reply. Do you think my omc 3.0l would use the same oil as a mercruiser?

Your OMC is a GM 3.0 marine engine...same as the Mercruiser. From a Goggle search:

"In December of 2000, OMC (Outboard Marine Corporation) filed for bankruptcy but like every other marine engine manufacturer, they started with a GM base marine engine. In 1994, OMC had a joint engine venture with Volvo Penta so most (if not all) of their parts and accessories are still available under Volvo Penta part numbers. In most cases, a base marine engine, partial engine package or even a complete engine package will work in an OMC application."

You can't go wrong with the Mercruiser oil...but if your engine has never seen synthetic, I would stick with the Mercruiser/Quicksilver non-synthetic 25W40 (second choice in the chart).

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

now what if we used a 5w30 mobile 1? would that be good for the motor?

As much as I love Mobil 1 (that is all that I use in my cars and truck), you need a FC-W rating for a marine engine. Mobil 1 does not have this rating....

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

From my readings I think 5w-30 is totally different from sae-30. I may be wrong but I think sae-30 is a lot thicker.

If you choose to go with a straight weight oil (and many do), pay attention to the temperature ranges in the chart.

Any ambient temperatures above 50 degrees, should have 40W oil.

The multi-viscosity Mercury oil (25W40) covers almost every concievable temperature encounter. Takes all the guesswork out of the equation....

playyas4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the great info. I don't have time to order oil off the internet. Who would sell what I need locally, i.e. walmart, advance auto, etc? I don't think my engine has ever ran synthetic oil, so I might just go with a SAE-30.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for all the great info. I don't have time to order oil off the internet. Who would sell what I need locally, i.e. walmart, advance auto, etc? I don't think my engine has ever ran synthetic oil, so I might just go with a SAE-30.

My local WalMart has Mercury/Quicksilver marine 4 cycle oil...in every 'flavor'!

Don't forget to get the FC-W rating, in what ever you choose!

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

So after reading this, I'm thinking to myself.. "why?" Why would we need anything else but automotive oil, especially if we are typically running a cooler engine than an automotive application? My 3.0LX never really gets above 140 max..

I found this:

http://www.boats.com/news-reviews/article/outboard-expert-yamaha-oil-four-stroke

Oil that carries the diamond-shaped "NMMA Certified FC-W" label has been designed specifically for use in marine engines, and meets minimum performance standards developed by the lubrication gurus at the National Marine Manufacturers Association Oil Certification Committee. I've met some of these guys, and they really are smart. Like they can recite the periodic table of elements from memory.

Until FC-W, engine manufacturers have specified the use of a high-grade automotive engine oil for four-stroke outboards. But in recent years automotive oil formulas have changed, as car and truck manufacturers put more emphasis on reducing internal friction to improve fuel mileage. This made auto-spec oil less desirable for use in marine engines, where operating conditions are significantly more challenging. For example, how often and for how long do you run your car or truck at full throttle? Maybe for a few seconds as you accelerate down an on-ramp. Your outboard, on the other hand, may spend a lot of time at WOT. Even when cruising, an outboard is under relatively heavy load and at least 75 percent throttle while it operates in an environment that includes high humidity and salt air. Compared to a car engine, an outboard leads a tortured life.

In designing the FC-W formula, the NMMA committee sought to address two key issues. The first is resistance to "shearing" during high-rpm and high-temperature operation that rarely occurs in an automotive application. Under shear stress, oil can become thinner and lose its ability to separate moving parts, leading to accelerated wear or even catastrophic failure in extreme cases. The FC-W spec imposes a higher minimum viscosity level, which means that FC-W oil will not thin out as much as automotive oil of the same viscosity under the same heat and rpm conditions.

The second issue addressed by the FC-W standard is corrosion. Obviously, an outboard lives in an very humid environment that can also be salty. When the engine is shut down, air remaining inside the engine can condense on bare-metal surfaces and this moisture can either attack the metal directly or become mixed with the oil and circulate through the engine. The FC-W spec adds a rust-inhibitor requirement that does not exist for any automotive engine oil and will better-protect vulnerable surfaces like valve springs and cylinder liners.

playyas4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the Mecury\Quick Silver Oil with the automotive oil in wal-mart? Maybe I overlooked it.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Is the Mecury\Quick Silver Oil with the automotive oil in wal-mart? Maybe I overlooked it.

I just called my local WalMart...they keep it in the auto department.

Could be that your WalMart doesn't stock the Quicksilver 4 cycle oil...my only guess. Try calling them, and see if someone will take another look for you.

If you have a West Marine, or Boaters World, they will carry it for sure!

Last resort would be a dealer...but since you only change the oil once a season, the added price would be worth having it in hand....

6racer

Cadet

what weight oil would you reccomend for my 1983 omc 3.8? 30w? or 25w40? thanks!

45Auto

Commander

Did you see the factory oil recommendations posted by Rocky_Road in post #2? See the choices numbered 1 through 5 at the top? See how 25w40 is higher on the list, and the straight weight is at the bottom? Are you really asking some random nobody off the internet for their oil recommendations? You don't believe the Mercruiser engineers know what they're doing? :confused:

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

The 25w40 is prefered over straight weight, for some obvious reasons.

The main advantage is that it will work in all three temperature ranges shown in the chart. Takes all the guesswork out of the equation...and will have the FC-W rating that your engine needs.

You can launch your boat at dawn, in 45 degree weather...run around the Bay until the afternoon, when the temperature has reached 72 degrees...and your engine will be perfectly happy! Don't laugh...this was the temperature range today, here in the Florida Panhandle....

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

My 1985 3.0 has had nothing but Pennzoil 30wt put in it since new. It still runs like new, doesn't smoke, and doesn't ever need any oil added between changes. It must work pretty well.

The label on the side of the valve cover specifies 30wt.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

My OMC manual for my 1992 3.0 HO says 30 wt. (not multi viscosity) and of course not non detergent.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

My OMC manual for my 1992 3.0 HO says 30 wt. (not multi viscosity) and of course not non detergent.

Granted...but there have been a ton of improvements in the world of lubrication, since 1992.

The FC-W certification, comes to mind....

Status
Not open for further replies.